Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.
    He's not been that anti-soldier before(really just anti-guns) though He was friends with Brigadier and He always would accept people despite past mistakes but this Doctor says "you shouldn't have been a soldier" this goes directly against his character who is supposed to see goodness in people and be forgiving.Its not just The Doctor though Clara's comments were insensitive like how being a soldier is about shooting people and the morality is crying afterwards.The episode seemed to contain about 4/5 attacks on soldiers which is unacceptable and incorrect views should be attacked by another character in the show so that people know the truth.

ReputationRep:
    I think the references are deliberate. We have two episodes now that hark back to previous episodes and previous Dr's. my theory is that the development of the new Dr finding his personality is going to be played through a series of events that play out similarly to predicaments of the other Dr's.

In this episode we saw the rage and war forged nature of the 9th Dr come out. His mind was fully of hate for the Daleks, which is similar to how the 9th Dr was before Rose helped him see another light. This can be linked to the emerging disconnect between the Dr and his companion; his companion is not connecting with him enough to steer him in a new light, and therefore he is reverting to previous incarnations of himself. Unlike the 9th Dr, he has no one to develop his personality.

last episode we had allusions to tenant's Dr and the time portals. instead of focusing on the robot aspect, we should be focusing on the being separated from Madam De Pompodor through his time travelling. He is isolated because he is in the wrong time, and this was a major character arc with the tenth Dr. It emphasizes again that this Dr is isolated due to his nature being a time traveler and unable to connect with people for long; because he regenerates. In the Clocks episode, he can see his love's life occurring through windows of time, witnessing her life but not being able to share it. This allusion could easily symbolise the rift between Clara and him as Clara becomes alienated by his new looks and personality.

So, the character development of the 12th Dr is being mapped out by allusions to previous incarnations. The question that remains is, is this just clever self referential character development from Moffat, or is this some kind of plan from the lady at the end of both episodes, manipulating the Dr's journeys fro some unknown reason?

Discuss.
    • Welcome Squad

finally getting to watch it now!!! :excited:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    Clara is an empty character for me..
    Empty? Really? Did you miss Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor and last night's Into The Dalek?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think the references are deliberate. We have two episodes now that hark back to previous episodes and previous Dr's. my theory is that the development of the new Dr finding his personality is going to be played through a series of events that play out similarly to predicaments of the other Dr's.

In this episode we saw the rage and war forged nature of the 9th Dr come out. His mind was fully of hate for the Daleks, which is similar to how the 9th Dr was before Rose helped him see another light. This can be linked to the emerging disconnect between the Dr and his companion; his companion is not connecting with him enough to steer him in a new light, and therefore he is reverting to previous incarnations of himself. Unlike the 9th Dr, he has no one to develop his personality.

last episode we had allusions to tenant's Dr and the time portals. instead of focusing on the robot aspect, we should be focusing on the being separated from Madam De Pompodor through his time travelling. He is isolated because he is in the wrong time, and this was a major character arc with the tenth Dr. It emphasizes again that this Dr is isolated due to his nature being a time traveler and unable to connect with people for long; because he regenerates. In the Clocks episode, he can see his love's life occurring through windows of time, witnessing her life but not being able to share it. This allusion could easily symbolise the rift between Clara and him as Clara becomes alienated by his new looks and personality.

So, the character development of the 12th Dr is being mapped out by allusions to previous incarnations. The question that remains is, is this just clever self referential character development from Moffat, or is this some kind of plan from the lady at the end of both episodes, manipulating the Dr's journeys fro some unknown reason?

Discuss.
    You sir, are a genius. I reckon it's clever character work from Moffat, but he'll cover it up with a plan from the new lady

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After last weeks fairly unmemorable debut, it was good to see Dr Who return to form this week. Although the whole "Fantastic Voyage" idea has been parodied so often that it is hard to pull off seriously, it just about managed it and resulted in the most meaningful Dalek story since 2005's Dalek.

Next week: Robin Hood? :confused: I fear we will verge into CBBC territory again, though thankfully Capaldi's Doctor (who I already prefer to Matt Smith) should make it watchable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    Empty? Really? Did you miss Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor and last night's Into The Dalek?
    No.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    Perhaps it's just me, but I never felt the "love" between 10 and MdP in the Fireplace episode. If other people hadn't mentioned it online so much, I never would have realised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)
    After last weeks fairly unmemorable debut, it was good to see Dr Who return to form this week. Although the whole "Fantastic Voyage" idea has been parodied so often that it is hard to pull off seriously, it just about managed it and resulted in the most meaningful Dalek story since 2005's Dalek.

Next week: Robin Hood? :confused: I fear we will verge into CBBC territory again, though thankfully Capaldi's Doctor (who I already prefer to Matt Smith) should make it watchable.
    it could be a return to the good old days when not every episode had to be a massive thing, but was just an episode where they go into an interesting setting and it looks normal, but there were monsters underneath, and the massive episode comes at the end. I miss the Russel T Davis days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)

I think Robot Of Sherwood looks great. It's the episode I personally have been looking forward to most because it simply just looks fun . Plus it's written by Mark Gattis, who's one of the show's best writers if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly hope so! I can always get behind illusions to the classic era. Maybe a bit early in the season to really get behind it and the connections seem a bit forced... Could always just be we're running out of predicaments for him If it is true, Lord knows how Sherwood relates to 'old 8.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    He's not been that anti-soldier before(really just anti-guns) though He was friends with Brigadier and He always would accept people despite past mistakes but this Doctor says "you shouldn't have been a soldier" this goes directly against his character who is supposed to see goodness in people and be forgiving.Its not just The Doctor though Clara's comments were insensitive like how being a soldier is about shooting people and the morality is crying afterwards.The episode seemed to contain about 4/5 attacks on soldiers which is unacceptable and incorrect views should be attacked by another character in the show so that people know the truth.
    I think we're mistaking here that just because the Doctor said it it is therefore true - surely this episodes illustrates just how prejudice he can be? It's clearly going to come back up with the Doctor having to confront this so the episode was laying that basis down. I don't see it as approving of his opinion.

And to be fair he would often chastise the Brig for acting like a soldier on occasions (namely with the Silurians) when he took action based on pressure from superiors. But also a lot has changed since he was Pertwee, he's been a soldier himself, seen what war has done as well as obedience to following orders, I don't think it's unfair for him to have become somewhat bitter but he does still acknowledge the good in her. As the episode harkens back to, he 'would be a good Dalek' now he 'is a good Dalek'. He's not who he once was, he's been on Trenzalore a long time and seen war a long time.

Also possibly he just doesn't want a soldier on board? To have one in a way is to reinforce this violent nature that's coming out more and to admit weapons expertise may be needed, to some extent he may just be taking out his anger at himself out on her. At this point he needed Clara to be his conscience, not the woman who was willing to go through with it.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's just me, but I never felt the "love" between 10 and MdP in the Fireplace episode. If other people hadn't mentioned it online so much, I never would have realised.
    Really? I thought it was obvious. Their relationship does develop. And quite tragically. As their relationship develops as she develops, but he remains the same. It really showed the difficulty in being the timelord. And he keeps coming back to her in different times, whereas he normally before this point just left his companions after a while. The time windows just highlight his inevitable relationship with any human; they journey in seperate worlds, and while the humans journey ends his has not even advanced. I thought that shows the futility of his attempts to be close to humans, because he tried to with this one but was blocked from doing so.

Not to mention the whole them snogging thing, and when he's inside her brain she lets him see something, well, naughty lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Dr hates soldiers because he hates himself, the part of him that he defines himself to be opposed to (being the Dr) but monsters repeatedly suggest that he's a monster too. In fact, monsters trying to prove just that and him trying to prove them wrong is probably the biggest motif in the modern series.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by cupcakes87)
    finally getting to watch it now!!! :excited:
    You're watching it now?! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Really? I thought it was obvious. Their relationship does develop. And quite tragically. As their relationship develops as she develops, but he remains the same. It really showed the difficulty in being the timelord. And he keeps coming back to her in different times, whereas he normally before this point just left his companions after a while. The time windows just highlight his inevitable relationship with any human; they journey in seperate worlds, and while the humans journey ends his has not even advanced. I thought that shows the futility of his attempts to be close to humans, because he tried to with this one but was blocked from doing so.

Not to mention the whole them snogging thing, and when he's inside her brain she lets him see something, well, naughty lol.
    I pretend the song didn't happen - I don't think the Doctor should be snogging anyone really, but certainly not MdP .

I'd be perfectly happy for the Doctor to be asexual.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Black Rose)
    You're watching it now?! :unimpressed:

yeah! pausing and watching as I go! :sad:

its very good!! :excited:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by cupcakes87)
    yeah! pausing and watching as I go! :sad:

its very good!! :excited:
    How did you not have time for DW yesterday? :sad:

It is Which bit are you on? :gah:

ReputationRep:
    it could be a return to the good old days when not every episode had to be a massive thing, but was just an episode where they go into an interesting setting and it looks normal, but there were monsters underneath, and the massive episode comes at the end. I miss the Russel T Davis days
    I agree that the series arcs in Series 5 and 6 were occasionally too heavy handed, but Series 7 mostly featured standalone stories with no dominating arc. Series 8 seems to be going this way aswell, having thirty second clips of "Missy" every ep is fairly unobtrusive like Bad Wolf and Vote Saxon in the RTD days.

ReputationRep:
    I pretend the song didn't happen - I don't think the Doctor should be snogging anyone really, but certainly not MdP .

I'd be perfectly happy for the Doctor to be asexual.
    yeah well Moffat's the writer so good luck with that haha.

ReputationRep:
    yeah well Moffat's the writer so good luck with that haha.
    He always used to be in Classic Who

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.