Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    I think Robot Of Sherwood looks great. It's the episode I personally have been looking forward to most because it simply just looks fun . Plus it's written by Mark Gattis, who's one of the show's best writers if you ask me.
    I hope you're right. Just looked up which episodes Gattis has written and I agree that he has done some great eps, including my two favourites from Series 7.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Black Rose)
    How did you not have time for DW yesterday? :sad:

It is Which bit are you on? :gah:
    i was a silly girl and started doing some stuff and then when i remembered i didnt have the heart to stop and watch! :bawling: i was ashamed! :ashamed2:

the bit where the soldier goes to missy! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)
    I agree that the series arcs in Series 5 and 6 were occasionally too heavy handed, but Series 7 mostly featured standalone stories with no dominating arc. Series 8 seems to be going this way aswell, having thirty second clips of "Missy" every ep is fairly unobtrusive like Bad Wolf and Vote Saxon in the RTD days.
    I really enjoyed the Bad Wolf Arc, I thought it ended perfectly with Rose and the Dr's good by at bad wolf bay. But then the entire series went down hill. We had one good season with Martha, whom I consider to be the last good companion, but after that the show just got bad, I can't even put my finder on why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Perhaps it's just me, but I never felt the "love" between 10 and MdP in the Fireplace episode. If other people hadn't mentioned it online so much, I never would have realised.
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    Really? I thought it was obvious. Their relationship does develop. And quite tragically. As their relationship develops as she develops, but he remains the same. It really showed the difficulty in being the timelord. And he keeps coming back to her in different times, whereas he normally before this point just left his companions after a while. The time windows just highlight his inevitable relationship with any human; they journey in seperate worlds, and while the humans journey ends his has not even advanced. I thought that shows the futility of his attempts to be close to humans, because he tried to with this one but was blocked from doing so.

Not to mention the whole them snogging thing, and when he's inside her brain she lets him see something, well, naughty lol.
    I loved that episode... :heart:
    Remember enjoying the music too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by cupcakes87)
    i was a silly girl and started doing some stuff and then when i remembered i didnt have the heart to stop and watch! :bawling: i was ashamed! :ashamed2:

the bit where the soldier goes to missy! :eek3:
    You did whaaa? :zomg: So .. so.. you.. basically forgot about doctor who? :eek:

Haha when she was still alive I knew she was gonna go to her, in paradise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    He always used to be in Classic Who
    I agree that it goes to far, with the Dr being married and all that crap, but teetering on the edge with a clandestine love, or a hopeless love, is good imo. I believe there was romantic feeling between Rose and the Dr. It was unacknowledged, and ended with "Rose Tyler, I...." which is exactly how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    I think the references are deliberate. We have two episodes now that hark back to previous episodes and previous Dr's. my theory is that the development of the new Dr finding his personality is going to be played through a series of events that play out similarly to predicaments of the other Dr's.

In this episode we saw the rage and war forged nature of the 9th Dr come out. His mind was fully of hate for the Daleks, which is similar to how the 9th Dr was before Rose helped him see another light. This can be linked to the emerging disconnect between the Dr and his companion; his companion is not connecting with him enough to steer him in a new light, and therefore he is reverting to previous incarnations of himself. Unlike the 9th Dr, he has no one to develop his personality.

last episode we had allusions to tenant's Dr and the time portals. instead of focusing on the robot aspect, we should be focusing on the being separated from Madam De Pompodor through his time travelling. He is isolated because he is in the wrong time, and this was a major character arc with the tenth Dr. It emphasizes again that this Dr is isolated due to his nature being a time traveler and unable to connect with people for long; because he regenerates. In the Clocks episode, he can see his love's life occurring through windows of time, witnessing her life but not being able to share it. This allusion could easily symbolise the rift between Clara and him as Clara becomes alienated by his new looks and personality.

So, the character development of the 12th Dr is being mapped out by allusions to previous incarnations. The question that remains is, is this just clever self referential character development from Moffat, or is this some kind of plan from the lady at the end of both episodes, manipulating the Dr's journeys fro some unknown reason?

Discuss.
    Ooooooh...Some of this I had realised, but you have put the little bits and pieces into place.
    You, sir, are a clever man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)
    I hope you're right. Just looked up which episodes Gattis has written and I agree that he has done some great eps, including my two favourites from Series 7.
    My favourite Mark Gattis episode has to be The Crimson Horror. I consider it to be a new series classic. Everything was just right. Especially the old film Doctor and Clara arriving in Yorkshire bits.

And then there was An Adventure In Space And Time, which was a perfect love letter to the show. Honestly couldn't have been better in my opinion. I felt so sorry for David Bradley's William Hartnell. As immersive as Jean Valjean in Les Miserables.

ReputationRep:
    David Tennant, the only Doctor worthy of the role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Definitely the best Doctor but the only one 'worthy of the role'? What about the original, William Hartnell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Ooooooh...Some of this I had realised, but you have put the little bits and pieces into place.
    You, sir, are a clever man.
    Thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eccleston is my fav
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Black Rose)
    You did whaaa? :zomg: So .. so.. you.. basically forgot about doctor who? :eek:

Haha when she was still alive I knew she was gonna go to her, in paradise

i did i did! i have never felt so ashamed in my life! :ashamed2:

ask my brother, he will confirm

OMG!!! that was such a beautiful episode! :cry2:

i really want the gif for when clara slapped the doctor for the collection in my signature! :ahee:

yep!!!! the missy character is very interesting!!! :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    - christopher eccleston
    - other classic doctors
    - peter capaldi (personally)
    - sometimes matt smith

pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    Definitely the best Doctor but the only one 'worthy of the role'? What about the original, William Hartnell?
    I don't think anyone did it as well as him. I felt like he just WAS the Doctor. I saw all of the others at least once apart from Christopher Eccleston who I saw in all of his, and none of them did it for me. It's just my view I guess haha.

David Tennant is fab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    - christopher eccleston
    - other classic doctors
    - peter capaldi (personally)
    - sometimes matt smith

pls
    Christopher was good but David totally takes the trophy for me.

ReputationRep:
    HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eccleston is my fav
    He's at the bottom of my list. He was second to last but then Christopher Eccleston disappointed me by not showing much respect towards the show that made him a bigger household name when Doctor Who reached it's 50th year.

Paul McGann, however(originally last), moved up a place because he appeared in the excellent Night of the Doctor and was brilliant in it.

ReputationRep:
    Christopher was good but David totally takes the trophy for me.
    Same here, but the other doctors were also amazing!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by cupcakes87)
    i did i did! i have never felt so ashamed in my life! :ashamed2:

ask my brother, he will confirm

OMG!!! that was such a beautiful episode! :cry2:

i really want the gif for when clara slapped the doctor for the collection in my signature! :ahee:

yep!!!! the missy character is very interesting!!! :holmes:
    Haha okay I believe you :yes: You should have seen my reaction to another user who forgot :rofl: You got off easy

It was :awesome: I like these darker episodes, one of the best in a long time :yes: Into the Dalek Vs Deep Breath?

I need to see your sig! Where are the gifs? :gah: You should totally get that, that slap :rofl:

I'm sure we'll see more of her :yep: She reminds me of River Song ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Same here, but the other doctors were also amazing!
    That's your opinion! They were OK but I don't feel like any of them really played him as what he was portrayed to be throughout? I don't know if that makes sense.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.