Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    :getmecoat: read through the thread, the usual split opinions.

I've just felt disappointed with the show during most of series 7 and the first two episodes of series 8. Capaldi seemed funnier and spent less time wondering whether he is good/bad.

We didn't see Missy this episode - maybe she's the Rani(?), she has a similar look to the old character, and was a Time Lord villain.. now that Gallifrey has returned, maybe its villains are back as well:iiam:
    If I remember rightly, Moffat said he wouldn't bring the Rani back, so I doubt it.

(Original post by bubble999)
    Loved tonight's episode. Then again, I'm bias as Nottingham is the best place :mmm:

But loved the humour in it. Well written

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hand: Leicester is superior, besides, robin hood was from Sheffield.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed that - the battle of the egos was quite funny, although I don't understand why they'd give away a gold arrow when they need the gold to get out of orbit - sure they wanted a trap to lure out Robin, but why use gold when they've got all sorts of gems that they don't want?

Anyway, next weeks looks interesting - although it didn't look particularly scary tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the episode a lot more than I thought I would! It wasn't a great episode but much better than the premiere - but I feel this season there is a lot more emphasis on clara than the doctor. I thought the ego competition with robin was a tad annoying and honestly I would have thought the doctor would have been taken for interrogation than clara. Robots and the promise land have seen like a theme this season and I wonder if this links to the finale this season with the cybermen and missy? Next week episode looks interesting and a bit scary or so I hope. The last actually scary episode was blink and to have another one like that would be incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.
    Yeah :yep:

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Nah, I see the two encounters entirely differently. Capaldi's encounter struck me like I was watching PG Malcolm Tucker; felt Ten and Eleven was more like two bros trying to outdo each other.
    Seems like it's split opinions on it :yep:

Also is anyone else noticing that episodes so far seem to have some kind of link to fires of pompeii (which would explain why he's got that face)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    i miss the eccleston days... these episodes now suck
    Yh his episodes were amazing and just the best! Tennant and matts seasons with amy and rory were also good! I genuinely find clara to be the most annoying companion in the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes, but last night's one was weak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Also is anyone else noticing that episodes so far seem to have some kind of link to fires of pompeii (which would explain why he's got that face)
    No...? :teeth:

I did notice that this was kinda similar to the The Lodger - in terms of a spaceship hiding itself as part of a house (or castle, in this case) whilst trying to fix itself so it could fly away.

ReputationRep:
    they should seriously think about rebooting dr who from the end of time part 1 and end it so that david tennant doesn't die, smith and capaldi are so useless in comparison

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed it, quite funny and this Doctor reminds me a bit of Jon Pertwee, a bit of an action man (Jon Pertwee is my favourite)

BUT, I thought the end was rubbish
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    No...? :teeth:

I did notice that this was kinda similar to the The Lodger - in terms of a spaceship hiding itself as part of a house (or castle, in this case) whilst trying to fix itself so it could fly away.
    This episode rebuilding parts so spaceship could fly with complicated grid like patterns and monsters that incinerate you :yep:

And as Moffat has said http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...er-appearances I imagine that could be an arch for this season.

(Original post by Aula)

I noticed this too, and actually I'm getting annoyed at it. The plot about a spaceship being disguised as something else has been used too many times now :erm: Happened in Deep Breath as well :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I noticed this too, and actually I'm getting annoyed at it. The plot about a spaceship being disguised as something else has been used too many times now :erm: Happened in Deep Breath as well :sigh:
    The TARDIS is a spaceship disguised as something else.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Peter Capaldi, so much so that he makes up for any other...flaws

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but in this instance it's okay, because each episode of this series so far has had a link to an earlier episode - Deep Breath = Girl in the Fireplace, Into The Dalek = Dalek, Robots of Sherwood = Fires of Pompeii or The Lodger
    I'm interested to see whether this linking keeps going.

This episode rebuilding parts so spaceship could fly with complicated grid like patterns and monsters that incinerate you :yep:

And as Moffat has said http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...er-appearances I imagine that could be an arch for this season.
    Ooh, so maybe that was this episode's throwback episode :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Last night's episode was a Robin Hood Prince of Thieves tribute with a Die Hard bit thrown in, the only thing missing was Alan Rickman, lol.
    I like Capaldi, he has a dark humour that I appreciate.

(Original post by snowyowl)
    The TARDIS is a spaceship disguised as something else.
    That doesn't mean it can keep being used as a plot resolution? It's unimaginative and tedious.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't mean it can keep being used as a plot resolution? It's unimaginative and tedious.
    No, I agree. It was just something that occurred to me when I read your post.

(Original post by snowyowl)
    No, I agree. It was just something that occurred to me when I read your post.
    Haha fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolf359)
    I really enjoyed it, quite funny and this Doctor reminds me a bit of Jon Pertwee, a bit of an action man (Jon Pertwee is my favourite)

BUT, I thought the end was rubbish
    I like you Nothing beats a bit of early Unit era.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Ah, but in this instance it's okay, because each episode of this series so far has had a link to an earlier episode - Deep Breath = Girl in the Fireplace, Into The Dalek = Dalek, Robots of Sherwood = Fires of Pompeii or The Lodger
    I'm interested to see whether this linking keeps going.

Ooh, so maybe that was this episode's throwback episode :holmes:
    Yeah there's a lot of little links...

ReputationRep:

Good spot!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.