Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So the monster under/on Pink's bed wasn't explained...

Also, I feel I need to watch Day of the Doctor again.

ReputationRep:
    So if there wasn't actually any creature under the bed or anything and it was just Clara that made the Doctor think that a along, then what was that thing under the red blanket on the bed??
    God plot holes and unexplained storylines drive me crazy!!!

However even though I'm not a fan of Moffats writing, I did enjoy that episode more than the others of this series so far

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Enjoyed most of it, but tbh I'm not actually that sure what happened. They all saw the blanket monster, so was it not real after all? I prefer episodes with more of a resolution.

Also, how did Clara just find Gallifrey?! That's not supposed to be possible, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triplet3)
    So if there wasn't actually any creature under the bed or anything and it was just Clara that made the Doctor think that a along, then what was that thing under the red blanket on the bed??
    God plot holes and unexplained storylines drive me crazy!!!
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Interesting. Enjoyed most of it, but tbh I'm not actually that sure what happened. They all saw the blanket monster, so was it not real after all? I prefer episodes with more of a resolution.
    I reckon it's gonna come back...

Also, how did Clara just find Gallifrey?! That's not supposed to be possible, surely.
    I don't think that one's gonna be resolved

ReputationRep:

Doctor was unconscious/sleeping maybe she wondered if the doctor had the same 'monster under the bed' experience, as he spoke pasionately about being scared earlier on, or maybe she just didn't want to think about danny pink - who knows

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed this episode. Best of the series so far for me.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I wonder if the "Doctor being a Dad" storyline will be followed up on?

ReputationRep:
    I'm realising more and more plot holes as I think about this episode. I'm going to stop thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    So the monster under/on Pink's bed wasn't explained...

Also, I feel I need to watch Day of the Doctor again.
    I took the "monster" in this episode to be
    Spoiler:
    Show
    fear itself. In the sense that it makes you think irrationally so you think you see stuff, hear stuff etc, when in reality there is nothing there. I think the fact the monster was blurred could also be because they were looking at it's reflection in a window, so wouldn't have been able to see it clearly anyway had it been there.

I thought it was quite a well written episode because of the stuff in the spoiler tags. The only thing I don't get is why everyone would have the same dream...

ReputationRep:
    On the 50th special Gallifrey is said to have been frozen in time and cannot be entered unless the Doctor can do that thing where he's in 4 places at once if you remember? Then how did Clara find this that easily, surely the doctor could have stayed on Gallifrey in the atmosphere and travelled to the particular point in time to save Gallifrey etc...hmm

ReputationRep:
    Just to be clear that the Doctor having to be in four places at once what I mean is that he has to be at galactic coordinates ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two from galactic zero centre, so how would Clara get this straight of?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For me it was the best episode for a while, and definitely the best of the season so far. Felt a little bit incomplete in some ways, but it was a lot of fun and it's the type of stuff that the Moff should do more because it's what he's best at.

ReputationRep:
    There's more character stuff there for the Dr related to the toy soldier symbol that can be analysed, but i can't be bothered to compose my thoughts on the subject at the minute.

ReputationRep:

I do agree with the whole plot hole (or perhaps just and audience misunderstanding) about the monster under the blanket, but the barn isn't necessarily on Gallifrey, they never stated that

ReputationRep:
    I actually rather liked the lack of resolution there. I don't usually, but I think it really worked. It could be a creature or it could just have been another child.

:iiam: This is what I thought, but maybe there's an explanation. I suspect we won't find out though. They'll probably just gloss right over it.

Previous episode link: Midnight? The section at the end of the universe reminded me of that episode. Or am I reading into things now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I actually rather liked the lack of resolution there. I don't usually, but I think it really worked. It could be a creature or it could just have been another child.

:iiam: This is what I thought, but maybe there's an explanation. I suspect we won't find out though. They'll probably just gloss right over it.
    You're probably right. It does make the blanket creature... thing more creepy when we don't know exactly what it was, or what wrote "listen" on the doctor's chalkboard!
    Previous episode link: Midnight? The section at the end of the universe reminded me of that episode. Or am I reading into things now?
    I thought that too, very strong references to it - alone on an empty planet, but then knocking starts from outside...

Also references to Day of the Moon with the Doctor and Clara wandering around a children's home in the dark.

ReputationRep:
    what wrote "listen" on the doctor's chalkboard!
    I think (at the end) we saw the Doctor writing it?

ReputationRep:
    I thought this could have been a really good 'scary' episode like blink, but it was childish and I did dislike how it was all about clara's relationship - apart from the seeing the doctor as a child at the end. I am also disappointed by the lack of action in the recent episodes - where is the infamous 'RUN' that every doctor has? :dontknow: For me the last few episodes have been more about clara than the doctor, and if clara was an interesting companion I probably wouldn't have cared; but I want to see more from the doctor! I had hoped this episode would be good and the first half was, but as soon as they went to the end of the universe and met orson pink it kind of went downhill. They could have created so much with this idea but they went down the childish route of no it's just fear - this is why they need to change moffat as head writer it's not fair to perter capaldi who is a fab actor or to the fans of the show!

Rant over!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that too, very strong references to it - alone on an empty planet, but then knocking starts from outside...

Also references to Day of the Moon with the Doctor and Clara wandering around a children's home in the dark.

Not only that, but it referenced back to the first words the 4th Doctor said:

""Typical Sontaran attitude…stop Linx... perverting the course of human history..."

and, when Clara was talking to The young Doctor, she reference a quote from Unearthly Child which the 1st Doctor said:

"fear makes companions of us all"

Some people are a bit confused by it. One thing to take note of, this is not so much an actual Doctor Who story, where the days need saving, no, this was MUCH more. This was a character piece, a character piece for The Doctor. It's main focus in on fear. The psychology of fear, and what it can do to a person.

The Doctor creates a theory that there is something living in the dark because he is scared of the dark and wants to justify it. So, what could be the evidence for his theory:

* A monster in the sheets or a kid playing a prank?
    * An invisible spectre writing on a chalkboard or The Doctor doing so, then forgetting
    * A door being opening my some kind of monster or an airlock opening after being unlocked?
    * Orson's monster or just an irrational fear of being the last person in the universe?

At the end, it's revealed that his theory began with Clara comforting The Doctor as a child, where he believed it was a dream.

This episode was genius because it was so unique. It has allowed us to have a better glimpse as The Doctor's character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I think (at the end) we saw the Doctor writing it?
    Must have looked away at that point - thanks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.