Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    It may have been a little predictable at the end, but I quite enjoyed Time Heist- it was nice to have a different take on Dr Who as this episode felt more like a bank job/spy show than straight up sci fi.

Overall I think the episodes so far have all been pretty good quality, certainly better than the uneven series 7. That said, I still feel like this series is lacking that 'killer episode', one so memorable it instantly becomes a fan favourite. Some people would probably say that episode was Listen, but personally I wasn't that much of a fan of it.

Other random thoughts:
    When did Clara get given the Tardis phone number by a woman in a shop? I vaguely remember this happening but can't recall which episode it was.

Was anyone else expecting the series arc to be focusing on the Doctor's search for Gallifrey? Or at least some reference to it? After the Day of the Doctor and then it quickly being followed up in the Time of the Doctor, I expected it to still be a theme going forward. The way that Moffat has just left it now makes it seem like the return of Gallifrey was just a plot device to get the Doctor a new regeneration cycle, which is rather disappointing.

(Original post by montstar)
    Was anyone else expecting the series arc to be focusing on the Doctor's search for Gallifrey? Or at least some reference to it? After the Day of the Doctor and then it quickly being followed up in the Time of the Doctor, I expected it to still be a theme going forward. The way that Moffat has just left it now makes it seem like the return of Gallifrey was just a plot device to get the Doctor a new regeneration cycle, which is rather disappointing.
    Same :erm: Also reminds me of when at the end of The Name of the Doctor, the Doctor and Clara were stuck in his timestream, but that was promptly forgot about in Day of the Doctor I wanted to know how they got out!

ReputationRep:
    Other random thoughts:
    When did Clara get given the Tardis phone number by a woman in a shop? I vaguely remember this happening but can't recall which episode it was.
    In the Bells of St. John - the first episode we meet Clara (rather than the earlier versions of her). She calls the number for computer help, having been given it by a woman in a shop.

This is kind of how I feel, but I was also a little worried that it might end up focusing on this and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Same :erm: Also reminds me of when at the end of The Name of the Doctor, the Doctor and Clara were stuck in his timestream, but that was promptly forgot about in Day of the Doctor I wanted to know how they got out!
    They never explained how they got out, but the Doctor tells Clara to come with him as he knows how to get out. They probably realised there was no way to explain it and so just didn't bother.

I also thought the Doctor would spend his time searching for Gallifrey, especially as it's now confirmed that it was saved. Maybe the Time Lords would need to make another rift and know the Doctor's enemies would be there to meet him.

Then again, they really should have his phone number. Considering it was their Tardis he stole...

ReputationRep:

The Dr is still finding himself. Perhaps he'll find Gallifrey when does.

ReputationRep:
    I only watched the first episode of this season and it was enough for me to give up on new Doctor Who altogether until Steven Moffat leaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King of Evil)
    I only watched the first episode of this season and it was enough for me to give up on new Doctor Who altogether until Steven Moffat leaves.
    The first episode of the season was definitely the worst. Give some of the others a go, you may be pleasantly surprised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    The only thing I dislike about this series is the Clara/Danny relationship stuff.
    The acting of that relationship is very amateur, there is no chemistry between them.Compare the relationship of Amy and Rory and Danny and Clara and you'll see what I mean I am not convinced either the actor of Danny or Clara can actually act though.The dreadful acting of Danny and Clara ruined tonight's episode.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Was an ok episode. Interested what will happen to Pink at the end of the series. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed that. Loved the doctor assuming the one who looked like Smith's doctor was Clara's boyf :mmm:

Capaldi definitely seems like the most alien doctor we've had since the beginning of new Who, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Some of the things he says would have been "quirky" had Tennant or Smith said it, but with Capaldi it seems like a genuine "What on earth are you talking about/I don't understand" type of situation.

ReputationRep:
    Personally that episode was nothing special; forgettable villain, Clara and Danny are dull and I am beginning to get annoyed at the fact that Capaldi's Doctor is quite close to Smith's Doctor. Additionally, is anyone else getting tired of robots the Doctor has to keep fighting as they are all bland and unforgettable.

ReputationRep:
    Chris Addison :awesome:

I thought that was alright, though nothing to rave about. Most of the plot was obvious from the beginning but it was a decent yarn.

References to previous episodes - lots of Coal Hill stuff, the episode with Sarah Jane and K9 in a school, what else?

ReputationRep:
    What I loved most about this episode was the slight mention of river vy the doctor- I actually smiled and laughed at the mention of his name! I am disappointed by how capaldi's doctor is nothing like he said he would be. He said this was the darkest doctor but honestly matt was darker and had moments where you actually questioned him, but with capaldi the soldier thing is really annoying me. Previous doctors may have not liked soldiers but they definitely didn't hate them like capaldi is shown to! I just want the next episode to have a decent plot because so far the episodes in this season have been quite boring!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think of this when Clara said they were rehearsing for a play?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tqaHBfBSSuc
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I liked it, mainly because I like looking at Danny. Other than that, a bit naff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** i forgot the episode, i'll watch it on iplayer now.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a good episode that. Quirky and humorous. Starting to like12 more, but still waiting for "that episode". The one which is the chicken katsu curry of episodes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that there is sexual jealous from the Dr over Clara. His loneliness is now being disturbed by Clara's sexuality. That's a nice touch.

ReputationRep:
    thought tonight's episode was okay, though a bit naff at times really, not one of the better episodes this series though imo

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I like characters (Clara, 12th Doctor, Danny) & think they have good chemistry but I feel like it's being wasted on plots that seem a bit dull/inconsequential.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.