Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish episode

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bit boring. And we've seen it all before.

Starwhale (Beast Below) - Last creature of its kind, shall we destroy it or not? Let's risk letting it live - oh look it was nice all along!

Satan Pit - outfits, Tardis lost down a crack in the planet(/moon)

etc.

The only thing I'm really interested in is seeing how the relationship between Clara and the Doctor develops next.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I don't understand why clara was so upset. I mean it seemed like an overreaction the doctor gave her some independence and she acted like a baby! I mean it was humanities choice and shes human the doctors not and he gave his opinion. I hated her last scene the rant and hope that the doctor doesn't come back for her. She was beyond rude and he didn't deserve that and I hope the nect episode is minus clara. Overall this episode was ok but the ending was terrible clara is a terrible companion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That was a terrible episode, the worst of this series so far. Clara was an absolute b!tch and I know it's not exactly the most scientifically accurate show but when they landed on that that beach that was just annoying. What, did the high tides just suddenly disappear? That moon that Clara looked at at the end was also far too big. That creature had been in the Moon for 100 Million years yet for 999 999 990 years it had been too small to have any noticeable effect, suddenly in 10 years it grew to the size of 1.3 billion tonnes? The Doctor said that Courtney (a character whom I frankly couldn't care less about) becomes the President of the USA even though that's impossible under US constitution. And of course, everyone knows that on the Moon you just float off...

Sorry for ranting, normally I wouldn't care about the inaccuracies and I would probably brush them off, but that episode was poorly written and had no original plot to it.

ReputationRep:
    recycled plot, absurd plot, pointless inclusion of a child just to pander to kids, forced plot point to make Clara get all angsty with the Doctor.

that was one of the worst episodes of Doctor Who ever.

ReputationRep:
    The episode was awful. It's one of the worst i've seen. Does no-one of the show have a basic knowledge of physics?

Next weeks episode looks dreadful as well. I hate how they take normal things, like the Orient Express, stick them in space, add a monster and assume that's a show. They did exactly the same with the Titanic and with the Beast Below. It's just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    That was a terrible episode, the worst of this series so far. Clara was an absolute b!tch and I know it's not exactly the most scientifically accurate show but when they landed on that that beach that was just annoying. What, did the high tides just suddenly disappear? That moon that Clara looked at at the end was also far too big. That creature had been in the Moon for 100 Million years yet for 999 999 990 years it had been too small to have any noticeable effect, suddenly in 10 years it grew to the size of 1.3 billion tonnes? The Doctor said that Courtney (a character whom I frankly couldn't care less about) becomes the President of the USA even though that's impossible under US constitution. And of course, everyone knows that on the Moon you just float off...

Sorry for ranting, normally I wouldn't care about the inaccuracies and I would probably brush them off, but that episode was poorly written and had no original plot to it.
    The beach that they landed on could have easily been at high tide, also since the force causing the high tides just disappeared almost instantly it could have reset the tides (not too knowledgeable on how the tides work but basic physics backs this up).

The moon that Clara saw at the end was deliberately too big, I thought. Otherwise the final scene would have just been Clara seeing the moon which would have been useless as a scene.

The creature didn't grow to 1.3billion tonnes within the 10 years or so, the creature had been there the entire time and had gained in weight steadily up to the 1.3billion tonnes. It's just that within the last 50 years or so there would have been a growth spurt and thus would have increased the mass of the creature, and therefore moon, considerably.

As Courtney becomes President in the future, you can't really say what the constitution will be like.

Also, you don't just float off of the moon. It has gravity, it's just much less than on Earth. Plus the whole point of the episode was that the moon had gained in mass and therefore gravity, which made it similar to Earth's.

Hope that helped!

I'm not really sure what to think about this episode. I enjoyed it, but there were definitely some flaws. I really do not care for Courtney and feel she shouldn't have any role in the show and the Doctor just leaving for 20minutes seemed like a bit of a cop out since he could have just fixed the situation there and then. Clara's reaction is understandable once given a little more thought, she did spend an hour trying to decide whether or not this creature was to die, something she clearly felt strongly about, when the Doctor knew it was no harm but he chose to put that pressure on her anyway. I also thought the spray killing the spiders was absolutely ridiculous .

ReputationRep:
    I think the real horrifying thing about Kill The Moon is how willing humanity were to kill the creature the moon hatched into. We are shown every light going off. That means essentially, every person during 2049 is willing to kill and pre-judge a innocent being.

That's the real scary thing about Kill The Moon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenumber2goose)
    The episode was awful. It's one of the worst i've seen. Does no-one of the show have a basic knowledge of physics?

Next weeks episode looks dreadful as well. I hate how they take normal things, like the Orient Express, stick them in space, add a monster and assume that's a show. They did exactly the same with the Titanic and with the Beast Below. It's just lazy.
    Surely that's a part of the fun of the show? I dread the day when Doctor Who becomes sane.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else think that last night's episode was just a thinly veiled anti-abortion preach fest?

ReputationRep:
    Just as I start to like Danny they bring in a bring in another annoying character. (Courtney, you're not special. Go sit in the corner.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    The beach that they landed on could have easily been at high tide, also since the force causing the high tides just disappeared almost instantly it could have reset the tides (not too knowledgeable on how the tides work but basic physics backs this up).

The moon that Clara saw at the end was deliberately too big, I thought. Otherwise the final scene would have just been Clara seeing the moon which would have been useless as a scene.

The creature didn't grow to 1.3billion tonnes within the 10 years or so, the creature had been there the entire time and had gained in weight steadily up to the 1.3billion tonnes. It's just that within the last 50 years or so there would have been a growth spurt and thus would have increased the mass of the creature, and therefore moon, considerably.

As Courtney becomes President in the future, you can't really say what the constitution will be like.

Also, you don't just float off of the moon. It has gravity, it's just much less than on Earth. Plus the whole point of the episode was that the moon had gained in mass and therefore gravity, which made it similar to Earth's.

Hope that helped!

I'm not really sure what to think about this episode. I enjoyed it, but there were definitely some flaws. I really do not care for Courtney and feel she shouldn't have any role in the show and the Doctor just leaving for 20minutes seemed like a bit of a cop out since he could have just fixed the situation there and then. Clara's reaction is understandable once given a little more thought, she did spend an hour trying to decide whether or not this creature was to die, something she clearly felt strongly about, when the Doctor knew it was no harm but he chose to put that pressure on her anyway. I also thought the spray killing the spiders was absolutely ridiculous .
    How does it 'just gain mass' though, things don't gain mass without some form of input, and i highly doubt solar energy is enough to explain such gain.

========

For me the issues were;

- Creature somehow laying an egg bigger than it's body
    - Somehow you can fly away in a vacuum
    - Unicellular spiders...sure.
    - The whole 'gravity' explanation was very bare, as was the whole scene when the base lost pressure which was conveniently fixed.
    - Terrible writing, i mean seriously the third rate astronauts "are there instructions". Then there was the horrible script for Courtney which felt like it was written for a 5 year old not a 15 year old.
    - Then there were the whole tide's issues, which regardless of whether the tides had retreated or not there would have been some form of remains/disturbance/debris, not a perfect beach.
    - Clara was also flawed with the whole decision to turn off the nukes after the whole decision to get Earth's leaders to turn off the lights (so assumably the Government/World does care, but can only send up third-rate astronauts?) As already suggested, it seemed all just to force some form of anti-abortion message.

It was just terrible throughout for me, and this is coming from somebody who only began watching the show after the 50th Anniversary.

The whole 'moon being an egg' idea could have worked, but they just totally messed it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    I think the real horrifying thing about Kill The Moon is how willing humanity were to kill the creature the moon hatched into. We are shown every light going off. That means essentially, every person during 2049 is willing to kill and pre-judge a innocent being.

Yes but it was one innocent being versus the probable loss of billions of humans, lots of them would also be innocent.I actually find it funny that Clara asked the question because similar questions are asked of governments around the world today and the answer is always the country/nation comes first like not paying ransoms to British hostages of ISIS, even with a much smaller cost an innocent life is never enough to humans-people like Clara seem to live in some sort of dream world.I am actually surprised by how slow humanity was to turn off its lights.The correct decision was to kill the innocent being anyway, surely large egg pieces would have fell to earth and devastated humanity?Even if there was a real possibility that the lifeform could survive and not destroy humanity, that possibility would have been too minuscule to seriously consider.It was really billions vs one and one lifeform can never be considered more important than an entire civilisation.Do we even know if the lifeform was sentient?, if not it would be worth no consideration.I am concerned that the show is teaching children to take great risks and encourage them to gamble huge amounts, basically it was like gambling 1 billion pounds to gain a pound.At least the episode should have drilled it into people's heads why abortion is should be classed as such a horrible crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Yes but it was one innocent being versus the probable loss of billions of humans, lots of them would also be innocent.I actually find it funny that Clara asked the question because similar questions are asked of governments around the world today and the answer is always the country/nation comes first like not paying ransoms to British hostages of ISIS, even with a much smaller cost an innocent life is never enough to humans-people like Clara seem to live in some sort of dream world.I am actually surprised by how slow humanity was to turn off its lights.The correct decision was to kill the innocent being anyway, surely large egg pieces would have fell to earth and devastated humanity?Even if there was a real possibility that the lifeform could survive and not destroy humanity, that possibility would have been too minuscule to seriously consider.It was really billions vs one and one lifeform can never be considered more important than an entire civilisation.Do we even know if the lifeform was sentient?, if not it would be worth no consideration.I am concerned that the show is teaching children to take great risks and encourage them to gamble huge amounts, basically it was like gambling 1 billion pounds to gain a pound.At least the episode should have drilled it into people's heads why abortion is should be classed as such a horrible crime.
    But nobody had any idea of the consequences of either action anyway and as was proven in the end, saving the creature did no harm.

Those who switched their lights off were pre-judging another species before it was even born and if that episode was real life, it would sicken me.

ReputationRep:
    But nobody had any idea of the consequences of either action anyway and as was proven in the end, saving the creature did no harm.

Those who switched their lights off were pre-judging another species before it was even born and if that episode was real life, it would sicken me.
    It was extremely unlikely that the creature wouldn't have destroyed Earth, the Physics of the creature just flying away and leaving the moon behind to control the earth's tides and no harm being done was awful.I think you seem to be naive if the Government found out any person was a risk to the whole human race you would be killed, we have already seen loads of cases of police killing people who they thought were armed but this creature posed a genuine threat to the whole human race no way should people be prepared to take a massive gamble to let it live.Humanities current pro-abortion attitudes should show you how humans would react to this situation and also lets remember Clara broadcast it as if it was a simple humanity or creature dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    It was extremely unlikely that the creature wouldn't have destroyed Earth, the Physics of the creature just flying away and leaving the moon behind to control the earth's tides and no harm being done was awful.I think you seem to be naive if the Government found out any person was a risk to the whole human race you would be killed, we have already seen loads of cases of police killing people who they thought were armed but this creature posed a genuine threat to the whole human race no way should people be prepared to take a massive gamble to let it live.Humanities current pro-abortion attitudes should show you how humans would react to this situation and also lets remember Clara broadcasted it as if it was a simple humanity or creature dilemma.
    What right do we have to survive over another species of another race that hasn't even been born yet? To kill the moon creature and save ourselves is selfish and in my opinion, cruel when it hasn't even been born.

ReputationRep:
    What right do we have to survive over another species of another race that hasn't even been born yet? To kill the moon creature and save ourselves is selfish and in my opinion, cruel when it hasn't even been born.
    So in real life where the creature would almost certainly destroy/devastate life on Earth as the laws of Physics are maintained you would choose to save the creature over yourself,your family, your friends and 7 billion people a lot of humans would be just about to be born as well on Earth over some creature, which could be good or bad or sentient or not?Its not about judging the creature if that creature was the most wonderful,lovable,sentient nicest creature in the universe it still wouldn't be worth the lives of all humanity.In a future episode they should make the decision much harder by increasing the amount of creatures that have to be killed to save humanity and only then could a decision to save the creatures appear reasonable and justified and maybe then some lights might be left on-even then most humans are fairly selfish and will always put themselves and family first over everything.

ReputationRep:

okay think of it like this. There is a mother, she is pregnant, due to certain complications during the pregnancy she is told that giving birth to the baby could very likely killer (because lets admit the whole moon cracking is going to kill a lot of people). Would the mother be wrong to abort the baby. Or should she have to face the likely possibility of a painful death.

On a side note this episode felt like a slap in the face. I am not asking the show to be sane but it could at least try to be better about it.
    The unicell spider thing is ridiculous, how on earth did the moon gain mass (where the **** did that mass come from),
    how on earth did nobody notice the gain in mass during any of the years we have been looking at it(or did it suddenly go growth spurt),
    the fact there were literally no instant consequences for humanity it just left behind another egg.
    Why was the gravity all weird, why did it stop and then start.
    The fact the moon was an egg has been never mentioned before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    okay think of it like this. There is a mother, she is pregnant, due to certain complications during the pregnancy she is told that giving birth to the baby could very likely killer (because lets admit the whole moon cracking is going to kill a lot of people). Would the mother be wrong to abort the baby. Or should she have to face the likely possibility of a painful death.

On a side note this episode felt like a slap in the face. I am not asking the show to be sane but it could at least try to be better about it.
    The unicell spider thing is ridiculous, how on earth did the moon gain mass (where the **** did that mass come from),
    how on earth did nobody notice the gain in mass during any of the years we have been looking at it(or did it suddenly go growth spurt),
    the fact there were literally no instant consequences for humanity it just left behind another egg.
    Why was the gravity all weird, why did it stop and then start.
    The fact the moon was an egg has been never mentioned before.
    Yes you seem to have got the point a mother vs baby is am much tougher decision to make but billions of humans vs one baby is very easy you have to save the billions of humans.

The moon gained mass due to what must have been a growth spurt.The mass must have increased very slowly over the last 100 million years.Yes I hated that there were no consequences when in reality loads of egg pieces would have devastated the Earth-i think that there should have been a lot of devastation and Clara should have had to face up with her silly decision.I think the mass increase across the moon was uneven thus some areas would have had higher gravity than other areas only if the mass increased at a constant rate across the whole moon would the gravity remain constant.The fact the moon is an egg was only discovered this episode.

ReputationRep:
    The egg's act of existence cripples the planet and causes 'the worst natural disaster blah blah blah' and if the writing had any logic to it, the world would have been well and truly rogered after the egg hatched. The loss of seven billion humans plus all the species on the planet for one creature that may or may not be self aware (even if it was, there's no guarantee it isn't going to kill off- or if it even is the only one of its kind (if so, where did the first egg come from? )) doesn't even seem like a difficult decision.

This is by far the most wishy washy series.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.