Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syrettd)
    Did anyone else not understand about 90% of what those glowy things were saying? It was too low-pitched for me. I heard something about always being there, and something else about growing on graves.
    I sort of didn't understand, because you had the little girl talking at the same time with the glowy things

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    That was the worst episode I have seen for a long time, it's such a shame.

The child actors were terrible, especially the precocious ginger girl. I was unable to suspend my disbelief because not one character behaved in a believable fashion - the kids weren't remotely surprised by the magic forest or the impossible TARDIS and no one was remotely interested in a trip to space. I can buy all the fictional, out-there things as long as there are believable characters reacting to unbelievable situations.
    Yeah, having an entire class of poor child actors was a very bad decision that made the episode incredibly hard to get into. One sub-par child actor can usually be overlooked but the sheer volume of them here was unfortunate and made parts of the episode feel like a class play instead of one of the BBC's biggest dramas.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to next weeks episode it looks interesting finally! Love the promo! Yesterday's episode was confusing and terrible, but hopefully next weeks episode will be good enough to salvage the season..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The first half I enjoyed, the resolution I didn't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that was dire.

ReputationRep:
    what **** is clara playing at anyway? She wanted all the Children to die just so they wouldn't miss their mothers. Makes Danny's choice for him.

She should just ****ing kill herself already. Can't stand her.

It's ironic that the whole (and only) point of her character is that "She doesn't need the Dr because she's an empowered woman and superior to him in every way, and isn't dependent on a man blah blah" and yet i'm fairly sure the actress playing her is their purely because she's attractive.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    what **** is clara playing at anyway? She wanted all the Children to die just so they wouldn't miss their mothers. Makes Danny's choice for him.

She should just ****ing kill herself already. Can't stand her.

It's ironic that the whole (and only) point of her character is that "She doesn't need the Dr because she's an empowered woman and superior to him in every way, and isn't dependent on a man blah blah" and yet i'm fairly sure the actress playing her is their purely because she's attractive.
    Nothing like a bit of misogyny with your afternoon tea, eh? I'm sure many attractive women auditioned for the role: JLC got it for her talents as an actress. She does a fantastic job with what's she's given: the quality of production and writing (budget cuts?) has just taken a massive hit this series. Reducing the actress to her looks and using that as juxtaposition to "doesn't need a man" is no way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Nothing like a bit of misogyny with your afternoon tea, eh? I'm sure many attractive women auditioned for the role: JLC got it for her talents as an actress. She does a fantastic job with what's she's given: the quality of production and writing (budget cuts?) has just taken a massive hit this series. Reducing the actress to her looks and using that as juxtaposition to "doesn't need a man" is no way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She does not do a fantastic job at all.

I disliked the last companion's character, but she and Rory did a fantastic job. This actress does not.

Misogyny? Get the **** out. What's so misogynistic about judging an artist on her art irrespective of her personal appearance? Absolutely nothing; you're talking out your arse. I didn't think Billie Piper was atttrative, but i loved her. Because appearance isn't important.

But I'm the one "reducing an actress to her looks" :rolleyes:

The doesn't need a man comment was obviously about the two dimensional nature of her character. This thread seems to agree with me, on the whole, with that.

ReputationRep:

I disliked the last companion's character, but she and Rory did a fantastic job. This actress does not.

Misogyny? Get the **** out. What's so misogynistic about judging an artist on her art irrespective of her personal appearance? Absolutely nothing; you're talking out your arse. I didn't think Billie Piper was atttrative, but i loved her. Because appearance isn't important.

The doesn't need a man comment was obviously about the two dimensional nature of her character. This thread seems to agree with me, on the whole, with that.
    She does the best with what she's given though so I don't think it's Jenna's fault. When her character is given brief glimpses of a deeper personality her acting ability is highlighted. (For example, her anger/frustration/hurt at the doctor at the end of the moon episode was a great scene that showed she can do a good job when the writing's there) The show just doesn't seem to know what to do with her so she's left treading the same ground over and over again which can make her acting range seem limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    As long as she leaves at the end of the season it's fine.
    Shes in the christmas episode I like her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    x
    Read the title and delete your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Read the title and delete your post.
    Um how is an idea a spoiler? I am giving an idea based off a released trailer...Don't know what you define as a spoiler? I have no idea what happens in the finale.

Or are you referring to the shes in the christmas episode? again, something released by the BBC so not a spoiler...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Shes staying til christmas I like her
    I was talking about this post.

Spoiler:
    Show
    'Shes staying til christmas'

Can you not see how this implies that she's leaving at the Christmas Special? Which, whether released officially by the BBC or not, is potentially a future spoiler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    I was talking about this post.

Spoiler:
    Show
    'Shes staying til christmas'

Can you not see how this implies that she's leaving at the Christmas Special? Which, whether released officially by the BBC or not, is potentially a future spoiler.
    fixed the post just to say she is in the christmas episode...I don't know if shes leaving or not at christmas, hope she isn't
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Judging an artist on their art is perfectly reasonable: saying an artist only has their job because of their looks is not. Doctor Who will have no shortage of attractive people hoping for the roles, so it's quite patent that looks aren't the sole factor here.

I completely agree with your comments about the independent nature of her character; completely disagree with using the actress' looks as a contradiction of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Judging an artist on their art is perfectly reasonable: saying an artist only has their job because of their looks is not. Doctor Who will have no shortage of attractive people hoping for the roles, so it's quite patent that looks aren't the sole factor here.

I completely agree with your comments about the independent nature of her character; completely disagree with using the actress' looks as a contradiction of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The actress for Clara isn't just hot though; she's probs the prettiest woman on tv atm. You cant tell me that doesn't have an impact on the decision making. You honestly believe there were no better actresses than her on the entire interview process? She just says different things each week; and each week she sounds the same, with exactly the same voice, exactly the same contrived looking facial expressions, absolutely no chemistry with Danny.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The actress for Clara isn't just hot though; she's probs the prettiest woman on tv atm. You cant tell me that doesn't have an impact on the decision making. You honestly believe there were no better actresses than her on the entire interview process? She just says different things each week; and each week she sounds the same, with exactly the same voice, exactly the same contrived looking facial expressions, absolutely no chemistry with Danny.
    I honestly don't think she's that good looking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I honestly don't think she's that good looking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    need to get ur **** sorted out there mate

jokes
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It has lots to do with the decision-making process, and it should. Appearance is an important part of television and film for both genders - I honestly believe that the casting directors chose the best actress they felt would portray their conception of the character. Looks are important, but they don't cover up a lack of talent. There's not an actor in the world who got a part in a major TV show or film just "because of their looks".
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    need to get ur **** sorted out there mate

jokes
    I don't deny she is beautiful, I just think you were overstating a little

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.