Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Christ Clara is awful. The most wooden, 2 dimensional character in Doctor Who I've ever seen. Things are bad when you make the Cybermen look like Gene Hunt. I don't rate her as an actress either, her emotional outbursts for me come across as wooden and unbelievable and she delivers the humorous lines in a weird sharp way that just doesn't do it for me. I suppose it isn't all Jenna Coleman's fault as the writing for her character is something you'd find in a Nicholas Cage or Uwe Boll film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It has lots to do with the decision-making process, and it should. Appearance is an important part of television and film for both genders - I honestly believe that the casting directors chose the best actress they felt would portray their conception of the character. Looks are important, but they don't cover up a lack of talent. There's not an actor in the world who got a part in a major TV show or film just "because of their looks".
    If think you're being somewhat naive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This episode was a tad predictable, though it still looked good. I did prefer last week's episode - Mummy on the Orient Express. Definitely looking forward to next week, can't believe how quickly the series has passed:gasp: and we've yet to really understand just how this Doctor functions.. and who is Missy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    This episode was a tad predictable, though it still looked good. I did prefer last week's episode - Mummy on the Orient Express. Definitely looking forward to next week, can't believe how quickly the series has passed:gasp: and we've yet to really understand just how this Doctor functions.. and who is Missy.
    The series has passed so quickly you didn't even realise that there was an episode between Mummy on the Orient Express and last night's one!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    The series has passed so quickly you didn't even realise that there was an episode between Mummy on the Orient Express and last night's one!
    There was? I genuinely forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    :lol:aha just realised, I did watch that episode as well ..just didn't remember it:getmecoat: that episode was quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    This series keeps getting worse! It's turning into a kids show! Where is the storyline? The main overarching plot? Nothing is linked, everything makes the doctor seem not competent, and most of the stories were pathetic! Series 1-5 were the best- BIG, hidden plots, monsters, interesting storylines. COME ON MOFFAT, it could be so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I only really liked Listen, MOTOE and Flatline. Deep Breath and Time Heist were okay and the other episodes were forgettable, mainly because of weak storylines and too many episodes seemed like lesser versions of past episodes. Here's hoping this two parter provides some redemption for the series, Capaldi deserves it for making the most of so little. The Cybermen could use a good story as well (hasn't been one since Doomsday really) even if it does look like they might be on the periphery with the main focus on Michelle Gomez's character.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ok then - this is some sort of freak out of epic proportions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    Even the anticipated finale is wasted on the pointless relationship between the annoying companion and the man known as Danny pink
    Eh, I don't mind it, a more rounded, faceted companion is more interesting. Seems very much a copy of Amy though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OMG the Malcolm Tucker reference !!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They really couldn't make it more obvious what those skeletons actually are, could they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ok then - so missy is a classic character then. Didn't see that coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    They really couldn't make it more obvious what those skeletons actually are, could they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, it's obvious but really clever as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee_wuvshugs)
    Haha, it's obvious but really clever as well.
    In fairness the eye shaped windows were subtle, but the exoskeleton comments were obvious.

missy is the master then. How'd (s)he survive then?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why have they made the Master female? Why? WHY?!?!?!?!!?
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In fairness the eye shaped windows were subtle, but the exoskeleton comments were obvious.

It was the other way around for me. I totally missed the exoskeleton comments, but the windows are what tipped me off!

That was a fantastic episode, really brilliant. Bit boring that Missy is the Master, though. Would've been fun if it was some other Time Lord from the canon, rather than the same old enemy again.

ReputationRep:

I have no idea how but whatever happened, I'm glad it did.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why have they made the Master female? Why? WHY?!?!?!?!!?
    Who cares about that, the Master snogged the Doctors face off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Such a good episode

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.