Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lwin)
    The trick is to make them actually feel like regular, complex, human individuals instead of just a single character trait like "timid" or "strong". People feel and act differently in different contexts and Moffat gets that with his male characters and writes it in, but he's really got to up his game for the ladies.
    When he wrote River Song in "Silence in the Library", she was strong, happy and regretful, nostalgic, she was a well rounded character. When she came back to the show she was essentially a nympho obsessed with the Doctor and comebacks.
    I don't think its a female thing. It's a he has to be clever with people's relationship's to the Dr thing, and this ****s up the female characters.

I do find it ****ing annoying how Clara has to be "strong" and edgy to appease the feminists when it just turns her into a **** character imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I like it. Less earth, more sci-fi.
    Same, opens up the universe subtly.

ReputationRep:
    I think they missed a huge opportunity with this storyline to do a Shakespearian tragic arc. Instead, Moffat flirts with the idea but mashes it up with pointless **** and it loses any power whatsoever.

(Original post by banterboy)
    I think they missed a huge opportunity with this storyline to do a Shakespearian tragic arc. Instead, Moffat flirts with the idea but mashes it up with pointless **** and it loses any power whatsoever.
    What do you mean?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Screwdriver to sunglasses? No :indiff:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a poor second part. It's only real use was to give us background to them and save Davros so he can be a future villain still.
    • Welcome Squad

I actually really liked that episode
    it was darker than usual with the whole dalek sewer/graveyard thing and when clara was in the dalek it reminded me of at the end of the asylum of the daleks with oswald.
    it was a pleasant change away from those goofy episodes like the bells of saint john although i agree with blackrose about he sunglasses, bring back the screwdriver!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think the sonic screwdriver is gone the way Moffat was speaking at the Q+A.
    Although Capaldi loves the Sunglasses and is more than happy with just them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate the sunglasses as an alternative to the screwdriver! I also had issue with missy always correcting people or daleks when they refer to her as a time lord - your a time lord just accept that instead of saying time lady which just sounds odd and annoying. I liked the idea of Clara being in the dalek again very reminiscent of when we first met Clara, but my main problem with this was she did nothing useful. All she did was cry essentially this episode, and also do the writers really expect us to believe that the doctor was the one to give davros the idea for the daleks! I mean what if the doctor had left davros to die or better still pushed him into the hands wouldn't that have saved his friend too? Overall I didn't really like this episode in comparison to the premiere which was a decent episode...

ReputationRep:
    loved it. Capaldi & Gomez were both fantastic.

I loved the bit where he magically had a cup of tea as well, most British thing ever haha.

ReputationRep:
    Need to ask, since daleks are all about dalek supremacy and the covet purity over all else, now being half timelord, won't they all go on a mass genocide of themselves?

Also, not a big fan of the sunglasses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Need to ask, since daleks are all about dalek supremacy and the covet purity over all else, now being half timelord, won't they all go on a mass genocide of themselves?

Also, not a big fan of the sunglasses...
    quick question but the daleks can fly right? Why didn't they just fly away when the sewer daleks where attacking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    quick question but the daleks can fly right? Why didn't they just fly away when the sewer daleks where attacking?
    Moffat logic.

ReputationRep:
    That episode was ok, better than last weeks.

Ratings have been really poor both this week and last. The excuse this week is obviously because the rugby was on but for last week's series opener to have low ratings is quite surprising. I remember back in the Tennant golden era when his openers and finales would get nearly 10million and episodes would average 7-8 million.

The BBC should be questioning why people aren't watching it anymore and think about getting a new showrunner in my opinion, it is not quality TV anymore.

The problem is Moffat.
    1) He writes DW like he writes Sherlock and it doesn't work for so many reasons!
    2) He has changed so much of the show ... sex-changing Timelords, sunglasses, the war doctor crap ETC.

The Doctor has all of time and space to visit, yet we get these ****ty episodes doled out to us full of gimmicks and catchphrases and inconsistencies and shock-factors. Like sticking a dinosaur in Victorian London, like giving the Doctor an electric guitar and a tank back in the 12th or whatever century.

I am actually scared for the show's future.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, am I the only one who wants Torchwood to return?
    Does anyone know why it ended in the first place? =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    The problem is Moffat.
    1) He writes DW like he writes Sherlock and it doesn't work for so many reasons!
    2) He has changed so much of the show ... sex-changing Timelords, sunglasses, the war doctor crap ETC.

The Doctor has all of time and space to visit, yet we get these ****ty episodes doled out to us full of gimmicks and catchphrases and inconsistencies and shock-factors. Like sticking a dinosaur in Victorian London, like giving the Doctor an electric guitar and a tank back in the 12th or whatever century.

I agree with all of this and yet I still hold out hope for the show becuase, when Moffat gets it right, it's better than any other Dr Who.

The problem is Moffat.

To be fair to Moffat, there are some really powerful and memorable moments to come out of his time as lead writer for the show. This being a perfect example of that:

• Welcome Squad

(Original post by lustawny)
    To be fair to Moffat, there are some really powerful and memorable moments to come out of his time as lead writer for the show. This being a perfect example of that:

true but the rest of the rings of akhattan was so cringy

*cough* mary gallele (however u spell her name) was so insipid

ReputationRep:
    The problem is Moffat.

Just like RTD changed the show in 2005 then, or a Cyberman invasion in the past that was forgotten, or the Titanic almost hitting the palace at Christmas. just like 10 liked to say "Allonsy" and "timey wimey" just like RTD changed events referenced in the classic series and fans explained it as "the Time War did it" just like most 10 episodes was like 40 minutes of build up then he waves his magic wand and saves the day, or how 10 "locks" his Tardis like a car, the Master has a LASER screwdriver that has the added function of aging the Doctor, did you forget 10's 3D Glasses?

As for shock factors we had the Daleks wipe out an entire space station in series 1 including a companion, Doctor looked like he was really going to be exterminated and other shocking moments.

Truth is people are so afraid that something they loved has changed they find someone to blame, 10s stories dont hold up, they seemed dull for me even then and I can still watch the classic series, the last 3 episodes of each year were the only ones you needed to watch to know what happened really bar a few moments in episodes before that, and 10 was basically going between 2 personas, either extreme anger and shouting or childish and both had a massive ego which was offputting.

You can't blame Moffat for the way the show has turned out for the most part, he needs to sell it to non fans i.e the ones that dont care about the bigger pictures and just want action, good special effects

It's fiction and it involves time travel, tis almost impossible to not contradict itself because if not they have tied their own hands to certain things, like if they said in 1000 years the earth was destroyed and no humans were left alive, they then couldnt have humans again unless they made up some story about clones (which did happen in the show but billions of years in the future as we then see humans somehow survive to the end of time)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.