Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Welcome Squad

well that was underwhelming, as glad as i am that Clara has gone i don't really get why she died and it just seemed a weird way for her to go tbh

ReputationRep:
    Should've said "run you clever boy, and remember me" as she died
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It said "To Be Continued", I didn't watch the preview but I'm not sure where they could take it other than the Doctor going ape or resurrecting Clara somehow. I sure do hope it's the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    It said "To Be Continued", I didn't watch the preview but I'm not sure where they could take it other than the Doctor going ape or resurrecting Clara somehow. I sure do hope it's the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Umm... We could find out where the doctor goes post transportation?

ReputationRep:
    so the question now is, where has the doctor been sent? i thought it was a good episode

ReputationRep:
    Something doesn't quite add up in my mind. I'm guessing their is something else going on with those worm things that try and rationalise everything they see. Unfortunately Clara could still be alive. It just seems something the writers could throw in for the last episode. This is entirely speculation and my random thoughts not based on any spoilers or information or anything.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Umm... We could find out where the doctor goes post transportation?
    True, although I'm with Questioner on this one - seems odd for them to bin her mid season

(Original post by Questioner1234)
    Something doesn't quite add up in my mind. I'm guessing their is something else going on with those worm things that try and rationalise everything they see. Unfortunately Clara could still be alive. It just seems something the writers could throw in for the last episode. This is entirely speculation and my random thoughts not based on any spoilers or information or anything.
    Indeed, something isn't quite right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance, **** off Clara, she only got worse as the seasons drew on. Wasn't helped by terrible terrible hey guys I browse reddit too jokes all the time and general woeful storytelling and dialogue.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a decent episode but I have no memory of that Rigsby person so I'm annoyed Clara died because of him. I wish it was for a character we knew better.

It's hard to believe anything that happens in Doctor Who anymore though. Moffat has a habit of making a situation seem hopeless and then making it all ok again in the space of two minutes. It's very frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    well that was underwhelming, as glad as i am that Clara has gone i don't really get why she died and it just seemed a weird way for her to go tbh
    Have to disagree. Its the first time somebody has died properly and that's great. Even got to see the Doctor angry.

(Original post by DarkMagic)

It's hard to believe anything that happens in Doctor Who anymore though. Moffat has a habit of making a situation seem hopeless and then making it all ok again in the space of two minutes. It's very frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This, completely. :sigh:

I was surprised Clara had such an insignificant, figuratively quiet death anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thought the Doctor's threatening Ashildr was compromised by the fact she had no problem tying him up to a chair in The Woman Who Lived, though I suppose the Doctor (like in The Family of Blood) brings hell (on those who make him angry) in different ways.
    The idea of trap streets were clever but I was anticipating an ending like Mummy On The Orient Express where the Doctor would have then taken the tattoo and somehow stopped the raven, which made me wonder whether the Doctor could have taken the hit and regenerated. Perhaps Jenna should have quit at the end of Death In Heaven, rarely do companions just decide to leave (apart from Martha) and I thought that was better.
    The Doctor's purple velvet jacket suited him a lot better than the hoodie, they don't seem to be able to decide on a costume for Capaldi's Doctor they're always changing it so much (must have been about ten or fifteen variations).
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Have to disagree. Its the first time somebody has died properly and that's great. Even got to see the Doctor angry.
    i see what you mean but i actually wasn't expecting her to die (i somehow managed to avoid spoilers) so the whole thing was really sudden and seemed a bit rushed. Also as DarkMagic said she died for some character we met in one episode ages ago and i don't really get why this particular peril needed her to die. it didn't seem any more dramatic than usual tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    Thought the Doctor's threatening Ashildr was compromised by the fact she had no problem tying him up to a chair in The Woman Who Lived, though I suppose the Doctor (like in The Family of Blood) brings hell (on those who make him angry) in different ways.
    The idea of trap streets were clever but I was anticipating an ending like Mummy On The Orient Express where the Doctor would have then taken the tattoo and somehow stopped the raven, which made me wonder whether the Doctor could have taken the hit and regenerated. Perhaps Jenna should have quit at the end of Death In Heaven, rarely do companions just decide to leave (apart from Martha) and I thought that was better.
    The Doctor's purple velvet jacket suited him a lot better than the hoodie, they don't seem to be able to decide on a costume for Capaldi's Doctor they're always changing it so much (must have been about ten or fifteen variations).
    I think the actress who plays Clara wanted to leave at the end of last season (She may have died inbetween the events of the last season and this one or simply left), but she was tricked into staying on against her wishes.
    At least I think I remember reading an article about this before?

ReputationRep:
    Need to ask, is the Raven the Shade or is it the delivery man who gives the "soul" to the Shade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    True, although I'm with Questioner on this one - seems odd for them to bin her mid season

Indeed, something isn't quite right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ashildr said that the shade was promised a soul not that it was promised the chance to kill a soul, so the shade has Clara's soul so she should still be alive(the Shade reminds me of a wraith type being that takes souls in Once Upon a Time they managed to get the soul back for a person who had his soul took although this occurred off screen.

Even if Clara is dead it was at least hinted that she wasn't dead dead like thing of the ghosts in Episodes 3 and 4 they were souls forced to repeat those words and the Shade could have done anything with Clara's soul so she could be experiencing any sort of hell whilst still being dead but alive sort of like them ghosts.We don't really know what the the Shade does with the souls at all.

I'm pretty sure Clara is supposed to appear again in the finale although this might well be another copy of her, from the rumours I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Clara is gone for good. She starts filming for her new TV series about queen Victoria soon.

Overall, I was satisfied with the episode. She's the first companion in the new who to actually die and now that somebody has actually died the writers might not be too afraid to kill people off in the future, if necessary.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by tomtjl)
    Guys, Clara is gone for good. She starts filming for her new TV series about queen Victoria soon.

Overall, I was satisfied with the episode. She's the first companion in the new who to actually die and now that somebody has actually died the writers might not be too afraid to kill people off in the future, if necessary.
    what about Amy and Rory?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    what about Amy and Rory?
    Displaced in time and space, not dead.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Aph)
    Displaced in time and space, not dead.
    but they jumped of a building

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.