Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

(Original post by tomtjl)
    He didn't "have" to lose his memory. His plan was to wipe Clara's memory so she could live safely, but Clara told The Doctor she had reversed the polarity of the neuroblock. The Doctor couldn't be sure if she was lying or not, so they both used the neuroblock and one of them would lose their memory of the other, it's just by chance that The Doctor lost his memory and not Clara.
    So why did he need to wipe Clara's memory so that she could live safely?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I know that Clara's death was a fixed point and she could not be saved but did it actually explain why she's not aging or can she fly around forever just so long as she ends up merging with her own time stream eventually.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Time can only be rewritten such that a dead person never actually does anything important after the point they should have died.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Time can only be rewritten such that a dead person never actually does anything important after the point they should have died.
    I don't get it.:confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it.:confused:
    From what i understood Clara could be saved.. but she could never make an impact on time itself afterward otherwise that would have ripped time apart. Hence why she would have had to forget the Doctor.

Of course she's now some kind of moment in time in a tardis but they did'nt explain things well.

From what i understood Clara could be saved.. but she could never make an impact on time itself afterward otherwise that would have ripped time apart. Hence why she would have had to forget the Doctor.

Of course she's now some kind of moment in time in a tardis but they did'nt explain things well.
    So she can't make any impact on time itself .. yet now she's whizzing around in her own Tardis ... :lolwut:

It doesn't make aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyyyyyyyy yyy sense. Maybe I'm just stupid.:dunce:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So she can't make any impact on time itself .. yet now she's whizzing around in her own Tardis ... :lolwut:

It doesn't make aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyyyyyyyy yyy sense. Maybe I'm just stupid.:dunce:
    Your not stupid, they just never bothered explaining well.

The way i understand it is that Clara now has a fixed destiny (to die in London via the shadow) however the Doctor pulled her out at the moment of death so she's now a fixed moment (hence the lack of a heartbeat). The problem is that because she has a destiny to die at a particular moment (seemingly cannot be changed) she'd cause a paradox or something if she dies elsewhere as she is now or has a significant enough impact on the timeline (because in her time-stream, she should be dead).

I think..

Your not stupid, they just never bothered explaining well.

The way i understand it is that Clara now has a fixed destiny (to die in London via the shadow) however the Doctor pulled her out at the moment of death so she's now a fixed moment (hence the lack of a heartbeat). The problem is that because she has a destiny to die at a particular moment (seemingly cannot be changed) she'd cause a paradox or something if she dies elsewhere as she is now or has a significant enough impact on the timeline (because in her time-stream, she should be dead).

I think..
    Okay. It makes a bit more sense now, but it's still ridiculous! Even if she had forgotten the Doctor, she could have been killed elsewhere or she'll die of old age anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what the basic gist of it is:

>Moffat has an idea
    >It's a half baked idea
    >Nobody in the studio seems to be able to say "Hey Steve, this needs fleshing out a bit, it's a bit convoluted no?" for fear of losing their job or being electrocuted like Luke Skywalker.
    >The dude has a total monopoly on the BBC's 2 biggest exports and is not good enough a storyteller to fulfill both roles. Partially not his fault, it's exhausting writing the 2 shows he does probably.
    >They need a way to retcon the plot so in 2 seasons when Capaldi takes his leave, there's another ensemble cast finale episode we can add Clara to the list of companions.
    >Moffat comes up with this piece of **** episode
    >It's aired before anyone can stop him
    >Yet another dull, underwhelming, mess of an episode.
    Brilliant.

Just brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just out of interest is just me who thought "oh of course he gets a new sonic screwdriver when the episode airs just under 3 weeks before christmas"

(Original post by somemightsay888)
    Here's what the basic gist of it is:

>Moffat has an idea
    >It's a half baked idea
    >Nobody in the studio seems to be able to say "Hey Steve, this needs fleshing out a bit, it's a bit convoluted no?" for fear of losing their job or being electrocuted like Luke Skywalker.
    >The dude has a total monopoly on the BBC's 2 biggest exports and is not good enough a storyteller to fulfill both roles. Partially not his fault, it's exhausting writing the 2 shows he does probably.
    >They need a way to retcon the plot so in 2 seasons when Capaldi takes his leave, there's another ensemble cast finale episode we can add Clara to the list of companions.
    >Moffat comes up with this piece of **** episode
    >It's aired before anyone can stop him
    >Yet another dull, underwhelming, mess of an episode.
    Brilliant.

Just brilliant.
    To be honest, I just like to pretend everything that happened after The Name of the Doctor (apart from the The Time of the Doctor, which was fab) didn't happen. It makes me angry
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Okay. It makes a bit more sense now, but it's still ridiculous! Even if she had forgotten the Doctor, she could have been killed elsewhere or she'll die of old age anyway.
    She's stopped ageing, no? That's what she said in the ep anyway

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    She's stopped ageing, no? That's what she said in the ep anyway
    Okay well she could still be killed, unless she's now immortal?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    She can't die of old age, she's a fixed moment in time and essentially will get no older.

Yeah it's odd and if she dies elsewhere then the universe is screwed.

She can't die of old age, she's a fixed moment in time and essentially will get no older.

Yeah it's odd and if she dies elsewhere then the universe is screwed.
    And so all of this was because the Doctor couldn't bear to let her die? He only went to Gallifrey because he wanted her back?

Also I hated it when that important Gallifreyan regenerated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    And so all of this was because the Doctor couldn't bear to let her die? He only went to Gallifrey because he wanted her back?

Also I hated it when that important Gallifreyan regenerated
    Yes. That point was hit home by Ashildr.

I think it was meant to point out how little Timelords value mortality, everything is beneath them as superior beings.

Yes. That point was hit home by Ashildr.

I think it was meant to point out how little Timelords value mortality, everything is beneath them as superior beings.
    I see.
    Well, I am so bloody disappointed. I didn't want the Doctor's return to Gallifrey to be overshadowed by Clara like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why, but Maisie Williams makes me angry, everything about her character is unsympathetic, unlikeable, irritating, smug and just generally fkn annoying. If her character is meant to be all those things then fair play, that's stellar writing/acting, done her job to a tee. If not then Steven, you done ****ed it up son.

ReputationRep:
    Because this way the Time Lords couldn't interrogate her to find out any information about The Doctor.

(Original post by tomtjl)
    Because this way the Time Lords couldn't interrogate her to find out any information about The Doctor.
    Okay but how could they have interrogated her when they're stuck in a pocket universe?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.