Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I only watched the first episode but from the trailers i've seen and a little bit of one of the episodes where the doctor is travelling alone I think. The Quality of the show is really declining, (just my opinion).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Okay but how could they have interrogated her when they're stuck in a pocket universe?
    They're not. Gallifrey is back in the universe, just located far out of the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay but how could they have interrogated her when they're stuck in a pocket universe?
    They're not, they're hiding at the end of time. However, since they have plenty of Tardises then they can go and find her anytime.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think series 9 has been perfect apart from 1 two parter the girl who died/the woman who lived (that two parter just didn't make sense to me)
    and peter capaldi could become my favourite doctor
    Currently it's
    Christopher Eccleston tied Peter Capaldi
    Matt Smith
    Peter Davison
    Paul Mcgann
    David Tennant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L116)
    I personally think series 9 has been perfect apart from 1 two parter the girl who died/the woman who lived (that two parter just didn't make sense to me)
    and peter capaldi could become my favourite doctor
    Currently it's
    Christopher Eccleston tied Peter Capaldi
    Matt Smith
    Peter Davison
    Paul Mcgann
    David Tennant
    you mean favorite new who doctor i'm guessing?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    you mean favorite new who doctor i'm guessing?
    They've listed Davidson and McGann so obviously not. At a guess it's the ones they've seen episodes of

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think the problem here was that it was 2 episodes merged. The first half was great and should have developed but instead they found 'Me' and made the Doctor forget.

That said i actually like the ending (although i preferred the stay dead option). Clara is now biologically frozen in time until a point at which she dies and giving 'Me' a tardis raises many possibilities.

Hoping River becomes a good character and not a 5 minute save before crapmas.
    Agreed!

Are we supposed to know what/who the hybrid is after that? I didn't understand ANY OF IT.

And I can't believe the Doctor went to Gallifrey and we didn't hear ONE SINGLE moment of the 'This is Gallifrey' theme... This show makes me want to weep and weep ...
    I think it was the Doctor+Clara. It was a tricky one I'll admit but I think I got it. Really wanna know what she told him though.

Yeah, although I wasn't a massive fan of that theme so I'm not too bothered by that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The ending was good, didn't expect it to be that at all.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I see.
    Well, I am so bloody disappointed. I didn't want the Doctor's return to Gallifrey to be overshadowed by Clara like that.
    I could it coming as soon as they first mentioned the hybrid :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I don't even know why, but Maisie Williams makes me angry, everything about her character is unsympathetic, unlikeable, irritating, smug and just generally fkn annoying. If her character is meant to be all those things then fair play, that's stellar writing/acting, done her job to a tee. If not then Steven, you done ****ed it up son.
    I couldn't agree more! I think her acting is shoddy (at best) which has made her a completely disingenuous character. A better actress might have been able to pull that character together (even with the half-arsed writing).

It's a shame, because I think the the idea behind her is really interesting it just didn't quite come together.

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder if they will kill River Song off in the Xmas special for a completely blank slate for series 10
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    I do wonder if they will kill River Song off in the Xmas special for a completely blank slate for series 10
    They won't, at least I think they won't
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's the first time she meets him

Posted from TSR Mobile

x
    Please put that in a spoiler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    I couldn't agree more! I think her acting is shoddy (at best) which has made her a completely disingenuous character. A better actress might have been able to pull that character together (even with the half-arsed writing).

It's a shame, because I think the the idea behind her is really interesting it just didn't quite come together.
    I think she was meant to be cast as this tragic by-product of the Doctor's carelessness we were all meant to sympathise with, but smh she's actually more unlikable than the villains lmao. Hope she's never seen again in the show, but I have a feeling in 2 seasons here character will be killed off in GOT and she'll be back in the show as the next companion
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surely they can't. Because she's trapped in a computer... unless she's been freed in this episode it wouldn't make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I think she was meant to be cast as this tragic by-product of the Doctor's carelessness we were all meant to sympathise with, but smh she's actually more unlikable than the villains lmao. Hope she's never seen again in the show, but I have a feeling in 2 seasons here character will be killed off in GOT and she'll be back in the show as the next companion
    God I hope not! She's so unlikable it's almost unbearable I have no sympathy for her... just an intense dislike. The entire Doctor/assistant dynamic depends on the assistant being likable and easy going, to contrast with the Doctor's eccentricities, she'd ruin the entire show!!

(Original post by Aph)
    Surely they can't. Because she's trapped in a computer... unless she's been freed in this episode it wouldn't make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have I missed something here? When was River trapped in a computer??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

ReputationRep:
    God I hope not! She's so unlikable it's almost unbearable I have no sympathy for her... just an intense dislike. The entire Doctor/assistant dynamic depends on the assistant being likable and easy going, to contrast with the Doctor's eccentricities, she'd ruin the entire show!!

I haven't liked a companion since Donna tbh. Amy/Rory were horribly cringe and the weird love triangle was disgraceful. Also, I've just found the general dialogue seems less "realistic"; the short, sharp exchanges between Clara and Doctor just seemed so mechanical and scripted. The humour seemed more "ordinary" if you get what I mean, back in S1-4. And now we'll get an hour of "Hello sweetie" at Christmas, fml, fmfl.

Nobody bothers keeping up with Rivers stories, Moffat writes himself into corners, retcons it when he can't think of an ending and everything's alright again :rolleyes: I can't wait for next year when Gallifrey finds itself it yet another dimension/displacement/universe/position :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
    Wha??... How have I missed this?

I now feel embarrassed having her as my avatar... Thought I knew everything about her.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Wha??... How have I missed this?

I now feel embarrassed having her as my avatar... Thought I knew everything about her.
    When she died in that ep, the Doctor saved her by uploading her into the library computer

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.