Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    jesus, the xmas special looks unwatchable

ReputationRep:
    also in that scene with the general regenerating they made a comment about male ego. How come that's ok but if a man made a similar comment about women being emotional all hell would break loose?

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoyed the episode. I have given up hoping for better writing, but its still fun - just no point over-thinking the storylines. Capaldi has kept me watching this series.

I liked Tennant's doctor a lot (and I suspect he will always be 'my' doctor because he was the doctor when I was a teenager) but he is a completely different character and Capaldi is simply brilliant in the role he has carved for himself. I have even come to dislike Clara slightly less over this season.

Last weeks episode (Heaven Sent), although simple, was really up there for me - best of recent times. Capaldi in his element.

River's character is fun, but I think the Christmas episode might be stretching in to the realms of over-using her. The last few Christmas episodes have been appalling and I am not going to be making any special time to sit and watch it this year.
    • Welcome Squad

i have so much catching up to do! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    i have so much catching up to do! :sad:
    don't bother, the days of this show being a worthwhile watch are long gone
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I know but the heart wants what it wants :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Yeah you have to go back to classic Who to watch a good show.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone and merry Christmas!

I hope you are all enjoying the festive period and looking forward to The Husbands of River Song as much as I am.

Wondering if you can all help me out? I'm working on a feature for uni about past Doctor Who Christmas specials and would really appreciate your comments about your favourite special and why? (you can also include your least favourite and why if you have any strong opinions on the matter) - I'd be really grateful.

Thank you!

Edit: It would be really helpful if you could give your name, age and where you're from, as well (but not essential)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neilreadman)

I hope you are all enjoying the festive period and looking forward to The Husbands of River Song as much as I am.

Wondering if you can all help me out? I'm working on a feature for uni about past Doctor Who Christmas specials and would really appreciate your comments about your favourite special and why? (you can also include your least favourite and why if you have any strong opinions on the matter) - I'd be really grateful.

Thank you!

Edit: It would be really helpful if you could give your name, age and where you're from, as well (but not essential)
    Oh jeez, urmmmm. I can't think now - definitely back in the Piper days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not looking forward to hearing "Hello sweetie" in 3 days.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Thank you!

Best ones have been Voyage of the Dammed (07), The Next Doctor (08), The End of Time (09), The Snowmen (12) and Time of the Doctor. If i had to pick a winner i'd give it to the End of Time followed by Snowmen primarily because the characters involved were brilliant (Simmon's Master and Tennant's death.. and Victorian Clara as the Impossible Girl with the enemy (forgot his name).

ReputationRep:

Thank you!

The Snowmen was my favourite because Clara died so suddenly (I really like Clara but the unexpectedness is great). But I liked Last Christmas too cleverly titled since it was Clara's last Christmas. Their isn't really a bad one The Christmas Invasion was also really good when Ten pops up. Its kinda sad that Nine didn't get one though

The first half was pretty crap but the second half was wonderful! I can't believe we finally got to see the singing towers! It was so sad:cry2: That really must be the last time we see River then Shame because I think her and 12 worked well together.
    • Welcome Squad

that was alright no clara so that is a plus

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    The first half was pretty crap but the second half was wonderful! I can't believe we finally got to see the singing towers! It was so sad:cry2: That really must be the last time we see River then Shame because I think her and 12 worked well together.
    I agree! I loved the chemistry they had - I've never been too keen on River, but I really liked the dynamic between her and 12.

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    that was alright no clara so that is a plus
    No Clara is always a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK.

Can someone tell me, I haven't watched it yet?

Did River say "Hello sweetie" at all or any other typical cringe dialogue in the episode?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    OK.

Did River say "Hello sweetie" at all or any other typical cringe dialogue in the episode?
    No she didn't say those two words.... He did

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    OK.

She spoke so there was cringe dialogue (Apparently "I'm an archaeologist" is now a valid explanation for prescient knowledge of things unrelated to archaeology...) but not that specific line.

Hopefully that's the end of River now then, awful character with her horrifically smarmy voice and attitude, and pathetic lines. Thought the robot king thing was far too clunky and even though he wasn't around all that much, there was still far too much matt lucas in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    She spoke so there was cringe dialogue (Apparently "I'm an archaeologist" is now a valid explanation for prescient knowledge of things unrelated to archaeology...) but not that specific line.

Hopefully that's the end of River now then, awful character with her horrifically smarmy voice and attitude, and pathetic lines. Thought the robot king thing was far too clunky and even though he wasn't around all that much, there was still far too much matt lucas in it.
    Just saw it, ffs her monologue was such cringe as well as being done-to-death, lazy, "Doctor is an angry scary man lel" ****e. There was no plot either; The King had no motive, he wasn't even a villain really and the robot was defeated because he didn't have AVG Anti-Virus installed :rofl:

I don't think it's the end for River as the episode had no weight at all behind it, I bet you in 2 years time when Capaldi leaves we'll get another ensemble-cast episode comprising of the rest of the companions after Donna in some big 2 parter. They'll get Amy and Rory back through retconning.

Smh.

ReputationRep:
    Robot King looked exactly like Baymax from big hero six!

I got bored of waiting for her to realise who he was, but the last 10 minutes? Oh my goodness :heart:

Also, as an archaeology graduate, I love the idea of a sonic trowel!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.