Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Generally enjoyable opening episode - Peter Capaldi was excellent and the university setting was fun, particularly the little touches like the jar of sonic screwdrivers and the pictures of former companions on his desk.

I found the Bill Potts character fairly irritating so far - there isn't quite enough there for her to be a genuine character. I don't think it's Pearl Mackie's fault, I felt her part was poorly scripted and incoherent.

The water-girl-shape-shifter-lesbian-pursuit-across-the-cosmos thing made no sense - how could 'she' outrun the Tardis? Where was all the power to do that coming from? Nothing was explained - perhaps it will be, but too often, the new Dr Who doesn't stop to explain or account for anything, no matter how absurd, which leaves me feeling empty rather than thrilled by discovery and revelation.

Omg I really enjoyed that Really liked Bill as well.

ReputationRep:
    Loved it, probably the best opening season first episode so far (in the new era ofc)
    Loved the character Bill and Capaldi looked great. I think bbc have realised their target audience and I think the uni experience was a great addition to the story line ! The lesbian zombie was a bit dodgy but it did scare the heck out of me so credit to that too ! I loved all the little references to Rose, Clara, and ofc, they two lovely ladies on Doctor's desk. I am so buzzed for the next episode.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prostheticzeta)
    Loved it, probably the best opening season first episode so far (in the new era ofc)
    Loved the character Bill and Capaldi looked great. I think bbc have realised their target audience and I think the uni experience was a great addition to the story line ! The lesbian zombie was a bit dodgy but it did scare the heck out of me so credit to that too ! I loved all the little references to Rose, Clara, and ofc, they two lovely ladies on Doctor's desk. I am so buzzed for the next episode.
    Clara, Amy and Martha all had better openers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prostheticzeta)
    Target audience as in the throwaway fans you mean? I semi agree as these are the ones that will be the numbers but most won't be proper fans they just want their next fix.

Theres dicussions over the internet about the next Doctor being a attractive young/ish male or female because of course the young fans are the SJW's

Older actual fans wouldn't care and just want whos best for the role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Clara, Amy and Martha all had better openers.
    I guess it's just a matter of opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Target audience as in the throwaway fans you mean? I semi agree as these are the ones that will be the numbers but most won't be proper fans they just want their next fix.

Theres dicussions over the internet about the next Doctor being a attractive young/ish male or female because of course the young fans are the SJW's

Haha i see what you mean! I would be against that as it annoys me when BBC tries to include content just to please their fans (like in recent episodes of Sherlock) it's alright when it's subtle, but purposely casting a handsome doctor is a big no for me :/

(Original post by drbluebox)

Eeerrr what? The people at university are the ones who grew up with the show re-boot, so why don't you consider them proper fans?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Eeerrr what? The people at university are the ones who grew up with the show re-boot, so why don't you consider them proper fans?!
    That was't what I said though and besides have you not counted the people who grew up with the show as its 54 years old this year.

Why is only the university age the target audience? Why not younger, why not people who grew up with the classic show?

The point was the youth fans will be the ones who have specific expecations for the series such as political correctness, like focusing on Bills sexuality and ethnicity as well as gender.

I frequent multiple Dr Who fansites who see people like Mickey or Jack Harkness as representations of etnicity and sexuality being modern in the show, its the young fans who focus on political correctness more and have certain expecations, the same ones that want a young doctor or a female doctor as well.

Many are fans but in a throwaway sense, the show is another consumerable item.
    • Welcome Squad

just finished watching it and i really enjoyed it! looking forward to the rest!

im not sure but, at the end when they were showing whats coming up in the next few episodes, i thought it was the Master as in when he was played by John Simm but im not sure? like right at the end
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    just finished watching it and i really enjoyed it! looking forward to the rest!

im not sure but, at the end when they were showing whats coming up in the next few episodes, i thought it was the Master as in when he was played by John Simm but im not sure? like right at the end
    It is, he is returning.

Personally i absolutely loved him. Perfect mix of evil and crazy.
    • Welcome Squad

It is, he is returning.

Personally i absolutely loved him. Perfect mix of evil and crazy.
    OMG YES!! haha same! i love him!! :woo: now im even more excited haha!

ReputationRep:
    I really liked the opening because it was different from the other episodes. I mean the special effects were so good and Bill was good, but the doctor was amazing as always.
    • Welcome Squad

like it tbh :closedeyes: they needed to do something to make it totally fresh and separate from the other moffat seasons which have all been pretty crap. Bill was alright (even if her name is slightly irritating like cmon 'bill pots' sounds like a flower pot man) just glad there is a normal companion and none of this magical girl from the doctors timeline nonsense. Hopefully if they keep it simple enough and not overdo it with the story arcs it will be a good season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    like it tbh :closedeyes: they needed to do something to make it totally fresh and separate from the other moffat seasons which have all been pretty crap. Bill was alright (even if her name is slightly irritating like cmon 'bill pots' sounds like a flower pot man) just glad there is a normal companion and none of this magical girl from the doctors timeline nonsense. Hopefully if they keep it simple enough and not overdo it with the story arcs it will be a good season
    :yep: It would be so nice to have a companion that the Doc didn't give birth to in another dimension, or that killed him 8 lives ago, or whatever. :yawn:
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    :yep: It would be so nice to have a companion that the Doc didn't give birth to in another dimension, or that killed him 8 lives ago, or whatever. :yawn:
    loooool that summed it up brilliantly :rofl:
    it's nice when they're just normal people, makes it seem like it could happen to any of us one day :moon: however lame that sounds :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I have a theory that master (simm) is in that vault and then something will happen and capaldi dies together with simm and then timey wimey and simm regenerates into missy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Very good episode. A little slow (though its a 2 party) but appropriately creepy with a good reveal.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Very good episode. A little slow (though its a 2 party) but appropriately creepy with a good reveal.
    I like how they correctly used general relativity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that Bill is a lesbian?
    Are you sure?
    Just checking. I feel we need to explain it again though.

I'm all for LGBT characters on TV, but don't show it in our face; it completely detracts from being a part of their personality to a forced political correctness statement.

Extremis was a GREAT episode and really set the stage for what could have been an epic three-parter; shame the following two episodes were completely lackluster.

I enjoyed this episode; good build up to part two and Simm's Master being back is a nice touch (loving the goatee)! I'm going to miss Capaldi.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.