The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

The bit when you know who showed up made me so happy and sad. As soon as the music started playing I was like pls don't :cry2:
Did anything even happen in that episode?
Well **** I missed it
I thought the episode was terrible. Nothing much seemed to happen. I thought David Bradley/Steven Moffat's protrayl of the 1st Doctor was way off and they need to see more episodes of the 1st Doctor. I certainly don't recall the 1st Doctor being that sexist but one of the remarks he made wasn't even that sexist like only in feminist fantasies are male nurses common. The 1st Doctor whilst being rude and grumpy at first really did grow as a character to be a very vibrant,positive and wise man unlike the way they presented him which didn't make sense as the 1st Doctor was a much changed man by the end of his run. However, Moffat wanted to ruin the 1st Doctor's image to appease the feminists. Images of the 1st Doctor I remember: 1 2

Moffat might have thought the episode was fan service but I thought it would have been very offensive to the fans.
Anyone else notice the bad wolf theme playing in it?
I thought it was very emotional. Not the best Christmas episode but far from the worst.
Am I the only one who feels that "New Doctor Who" has been on a continuous downward spiral ever since the very first series of 2005 ended? I sort of get the feeling I am, given that it's probably quite a harsh and snobbish opinion to hold. But that's my own view, anyway. I'm not saying all the episodes of series 1 were perfect (not by any stretch of the imagination), but I certainly think that there are at least about four episodes of that series that were easily some of the most brilliantly written episodes of Doctor Who since the programme was revived.
Original post by Lessen by Lesson
Am I the only one who feels that "New Doctor Who" has been on a continuous downward spiral ever since the very first series of 2005 ended? I sort of get the feeling I am, given that it's probably quite a harsh and snobbish opinion to hold. But that's my own view, anyway. I'm not saying all the episodes of series 1 were perfect (not by any stretch of the imagination), but I certainly think that there are at least about four episodes of that series that were easily some of the most brilliantly written episodes of Doctor Who since the programme was revived.

Season 4 was the last of the greats, it all went downhill after that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Season 4 was the last of the greats, it all went downhill after that.

The only episodes I liked of series 4 were Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. In all honesty, I never really liked the Rose/10th Doctor dynamic. It was far too lovey dovey.

I much prefer Rose and the 9th Doctor.

Personally I actually liked the scene of 12 (or 14) regenerating. The lighting of the console and the POV were pretty sweet.
Original post by username3674016
I much prefer Rose and the 9th Doctor.

Everyone has that one doctor that was their first one/favourite one/the one that got them into the show, and for me that will always be Nine. He was so mysterious and set the whole revival going, which not just any doctor could get away with doing.
Smith for me, watched it from the start but quirky brilliance is what the doctor should be.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Everyone has that one doctor that was their first one/favourite one/the one that got them into the show, and for me that will always be Nine. He was so mysterious and set the whole revival going, which not just any doctor could get away with doing.

Agreed to be fair... Though I think Tenant was better, getting it going was Eccleston was really good...

Original post by Rakas21
Smith for me, watched it from the start but quirky brilliance is what the doctor should be.

I liked him, but didn't enjoy the actual story line from the series he did (or Capaldi for that matter), as much as the first few with Eccleston and Tenant.
Original post by mobbsy91
Agreed to be fair... Though I think Tenant was better, getting it going was Eccleston was really good...

I liked him, but didn't enjoy the actual story line from the series he did (or Capaldi for that matter), as much as the first few with Eccleston and Tenant.

I agree that the series itself was better pre-Smith and even that Tennant is a superior actor (you could believe he was genocidal when he played anger) but Smith was what the Doctor should be as a character, wierd but brilliant.

I still can’t get over how terrifying the dialogue is in this scene. The dialogue alone surely rivals the gas mask zombies of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances in terms of fear factor.

I mean, this must be the only occasion in Doctor Who where a foe has made the Doctor hesitate.

“Before time.”

“Now what does that mean?”

“Before time.”

“What does ‘before time’ mean?”

“Before time and light and space and matter. Before the cataclysm. Before this universe was created.”

“That’s impossible. No life could have existed back then.”

“Is that your religion?”
Original post by 150319

I still can’t get over how terrifying the dialogue is in this scene. The dialogue alone surely rivals the gas mask zombies of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances in terms of fear factor.

I mean, this must be the only occasion in Doctor Who where a foe has made the Doctor hesitate.

“Before time.”

“Now what does that mean?”

“Before time.”

“What does ‘before time’ mean?”

“Before time and light and space and matter. Before the cataclysm. Before this universe was created.”

“That’s impossible. No life could have existed back then.”

“Is that your religion?”

Those episodes were true masterpieces, much better than even the best episodes nowadays
Original post by CoolCavy
Those episodes were true masterpieces, much better than even the best episodes nowadays

I stopped watching religiously at the start of series 9. Since then, I’ve just been watching the occasional episode. I saw the final two episodes of series 10 and really enjoyed them.

What’s your opinion of Jodie Whittaker?
Original post by 150319
I stopped watching religiously at the start of series 9. Since then, I’ve just been watching the occasional episode. I saw the final two episodes of series 10 and really enjoyed them.

Pretty much same her, stoppedwatchingas much when Clara came then stopped watching entirely when capaldi came until the recent series.
She's alright, the episodes aren't bad and ther were some good ones but even the stronger ones still lseem weak when compared to the strongest episodes of trnnant, eccleston and Smith. There's also too many companions, yaz adds absolutely nothing
What's your opinion of her?:smile:
Original post by 150319

I'm the same; enjoyed the episodes with missy in it too!

Spoiler

Original post by CoolCavy
Pretty much same her, stoppedwatchingas much when Clara came then stopped watching entirely when capaldi came until the recent series.
She's alright, the episodes aren't bad and ther were some good ones but even the stronger ones still lseem weak when compared to the strongest episodes of trnnant, eccleston and Smith. There's also too many companions, yaz adds absolutely nothing
What's your opinion of her?:smile:

Fair enough.

I haven’t actually watched any of her episodes yet. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest