The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Not impressed with the recent episodes of Doctor Who. Something just seems to be missing lately. Stories just seem rushed, and the programme doesn't seem like the Beeb's lovechild anymore, like it's running out of steam.

Hope not, because I enjoy the show's legendarium, and I also like Matt Smith as the Doctor (very important he stays, as I don't think the show is now strong enough to overcome a change of title character).

I would disagree with that. I think the Clara Oswald is the perfect Dr Who companion. I also really like the new episodes, with the exception of the girl singing episode, the rest are quite brilliant. The Ghost episode was very good too! I love the mix of different themes.

These episodes are so much better then the previous series. Whoever is writing Dr Who now is doing a good job. Matt Smith, though i did not like him at first, is actually brilliant. His personality makes you less tense and allows you to appreciate it so much more.

All the episodes so far have been top notch.
Reply 661
Guys, i know who Clara Oswald is. I also know who River is. They're both made up mystery story lines never to be solved just to build up suspense and it works.

I love the new Dr Who ! Man, when i saw Clara Oswald in waterloo road all that time ago, i TOLD myself she would be a star one day. Yes , she was on emmerdale or something, but this role was made for her mann.

I love the Dr Who theme too, the one that plays in between.

Spoiler

Clara Oswald so far = superb. Ditch the whole river thing and start anew.

BTW guys, there is no point trying to figure out who Clara or River are. It's a gimmick. The whole idea is like what happens in Sponge Bob i.e WHAT'S THE SECRET KRABBY PATTY FORMULAE?

You realize when you grow up that you've been duped and there is no secret formula.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 662
Original post by pinkpenguin
But the problem is, he's given us information like the title of the finale, which could potentially be a major plot point. So in fact the whole series is spent going 'hmmmm what is going to happen' etc etc.

Not to mention the permanent B storyline of 'who is Clara?'.

I want Doctor + normal companion (Martha :borat:) + scary monsters.

Actually, Clara in my view is miles better than Martha. Miles better than Rose, and miles better than the last assistant. The ONLY assitant that i feels is the best is Katherine Tate , you know, that ' am i bovaerd' girl.

Clara asks deep questions, is enshrouded with mystery, has the perfect personality, acts beautifully.
I just think Clara and this Doctor connect because they are so, similar in terms of personality.
This is what makes them good, I can't say I really liked Rose that much, Martha was decent, Donna was funny (Best assistant in my opinion) and then Clara is good, however, early days and all that...

I WANT TO SEE MORE OF JACK!
So far, Matt Smith is the only Doctor's incarnation not to have met him yet! DX
I miss Martha Jones :frown: Just re-watched the whole of series 3.
Reply 665
Original post by Scienceisgood
I just think Clara and this Doctor connect because they are so, similar in terms of personality.
This is what makes them good, I can't say I really liked Rose that much, Martha was decent, Donna was funny (Best assistant in my opinion) and then Clara is good, however, early days and all that...

So far, Matt Smith is the only Doctor's incarnation not to have met him yet! DX

Agree with everything you say.
What happened to Amys crack? As it was sort of connected to the TARDIS blowing up, which has never been addressed.
Original post by Scienceisgood

So far, Matt Smith is the only Doctor's incarnation not to have met him yet!
DX

Only of the reboot.... there are 8 others who haven't met him as well.
Reply 668
Original post by L'oreal for men
What happened to Amys crack? As it was sort of connected to the TARDIS blowing up, which has never been addressed.

I filled it in for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mess.
I filled it in for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not before me you didn't. :awesome:

:tardis:

What happened to the Tardis smilie? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MENDACIUM
Actually, Clara in my view is miles better than Martha. Miles better than Rose, and miles better than the last assistant. The ONLY assitant that i feels is the best is Katherine Tate , you know, that ' am i bovaerd' girl.

Clara asks deep questions, is enshrouded with mystery, has the perfect personality, acts beautifully.

I don't dislike Clara, but she's written in exactly the same way as Amy Pond... and I couldn't care less about a companion having 'mystery'. I want a companion, not a plot device.

I like Martha because, once she got over that crush at the beginning, she was a strong, helpful companion who did her job - she was exposition for us. She was the one who asked the alien questions so the alien could answer them for the audience.

Loved Donna too - she was a lot different and I liked that.

Didn't care for Rose. The idea of a genuine romance was annoying.
Original post by L'oreal for men

They were all filled when the Doctor flew the Pandorica into the exploding Tardis, resetting the entire universe.

Also "Amys crack" = :teehee:
I see.

Does anyone else miss Amy and Rory? I know it's weird, but, it still feels like they're going to show up and I haven't felt that with any other companions. Furthermore, I sometimes cry a little when I realize they've left for ever, does anyone else feel the same?
Reply 673
Not really, they were boring.
Original post by Rakas21
Not really, they were boring.

I doon't know. Rory was quite good, often reminding the Doctor of morals and how people might be reacting to their situations whilst he (the Doctor) and Amy were having a good time.

Amy made some very pleasant eye-candy. :perv:

dw-amy-police-hp3.jpg

Who cares about the staircase to nowhere when you've got them legs on screen.
Reply 675
Original post by SirMasterKey
I doon't know. Rory was quite good, often reminding the Doctor of morals and how people might be reacting to their situations whilst he (the Doctor) and Amy were having a good time.

Amy made some very pleasant eye-candy. :perv:

dw-amy-police-hp3.jpg

Who cares about the staircase to nowhere when you've got them legs on screen.

Exactly, he turned into a drama rather than sci-fi. Clara is also better than Amy although Victorian Clara was the hottest.
Original post by Rakas21
Exactly, he turned into a drama rather than sci-fi. Clara is also better than Amy although Victorian Clara was the hottest.

Doctor Who has always been a mixture of genres though has it not?
Reply 677
Original post by SirMasterKey
Doctor Who has always been a mixture of genres though has it not?

Kind of but i like the action and the sci-fi aspect (Tennant was great for that) whilst Amy and Rory made it more drama like Torchwood and that bored me a lot.
most good sci-fi shows have drama elements and strong characters imo, Doctor Who doing that is a good thing imho.
I have so many ideas for good Doctor Who stories. Some of them might even be epic. If only I could be made the new head writer.

Quick Reply

Latest