Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I would love for the limit to have been something that was imposed by the council, rather than being genetic. The Doctor doesn't realise this, and do we have a doctor who spends his time coming to terms with his mortality and upcoming final death. Then after he dies he regenerates and there's more Doctor!
    Please send this to the BBC Dr Who team.

Seriously. We , the people could come up with truly beautiful story lines.

Email it to them guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I think it's too early to say whether or not they should stick to 12 regenerations. The show is very popular now, but will it still be in the future?

I think unlimited regenerations is silly, and twelve is a nice number. But at the same time, I see no reason why there can't be an in-show plot in which the Doctor finds a way to get several more regenerations. Surely there would be some logical way it would happen. If River sacrificed all her regenerations to save the Doctor, I don't see why someone else can't voluntarily give up their regenerations to the Doctor. Or maybe there is Lord of Regeneration Energy somewhere who will give the Doctor extra. Or the Doctor will go on a quest for more regenerations.

The best option would be to keep quiet about it now, and see how well Doctor Who is still doing when we're onto the 13th Doctor. Keep the fans sweating Because, if it's still popular then and has lots of fans, it would be insane to end it.
    How do we as viewers even know that the doctor is currently the 11th? What if he had regenerated multiple times before the 1963 series? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe in the history of the show The Doctor has actually referred to himself as a number such as 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, i want this doctor to be on for the next decade. I also think Clara Oswald deserves three seasons at the minimum.

When both these doctors move on, so will i.

ReputationRep:
    Bestest Doctor ever = David Tennant, just the right amount of explosions mixed in with just enough emotion to make him perfect!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I would love for the limit to have been something that was imposed by the council, rather than being genetic. The Doctor doesn't realise this, and do we have a doctor who spends his time coming to terms with his mortality and upcoming final death. Then after he dies he regenerates and there's more Doctor!
    :ditto: esp if they kept everything very secret and advertised it as the final ever series of doctor who, and then at the end of the episode you just get moffat's troll face popping up yelling "joke!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    :ditto: esp if they kept everything very secret and advertised it as the final ever series of doctor who, and then at the end of the episode you just get moffat's troll face popping up yelling "joke!"
    I can see the community out-lash already, it would be hilarious
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    I can see the community out-lash already, it would be hilarious
    Exactly the kind of thing Moffat would hugely enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    If have no problem with the audience knowing, but the important thing is that I want the doctor not to know.

Actually, especially since it won't be for a few years yet, it could be the perfect time to actually be the last ever episode, and for it to end like the doctor's daughter.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    If have no problem with the audience knowing, but the important thing is that I want the doctor not to know.

Actually, especially since it won't be for a few years yet, it could be the perfect time to actually be the last ever episode, and for it to end like the doctor's daughter.
    Nah I enjoy the audience not knowing, like when Clara popped up in A of the D and we were all like "AHHHHH NEW COMPANION DALEK AHHHHHHHHH". But then maybe I'm a bit evil and sadistic. One of the books I'm writing's final line completely turns the whole book on it's head. :devil3:

ReputationRep:
    I can't stop watching this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8g5BrLm7uQ

ReputationRep:
    I assumed that when River Song gave up all her regenerations to the doctor that this would add to the number of regenerations the doctor has. I dunno if that's how it would work but I think it would be a pretty good explanation of why the Doctor has more than 12 regenerations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I assumed that when River Song gave up all her regenerations to the doctor that this would add to the number of regenerations the doctor has. I dunno if that's how it would work but I think it would be a pretty good explanation of why the Doctor has more than 12 regenerations.
    That would be one reasonable solution, aye. Will have to see where you writers go when it is time though.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else wish that the two versions of Clara had been swapped and that the current companion was the Victorian version? It wouldn't have changed the overall story at all if the present Clara had died and then the Doctor had found the Victorian version afterwards. I don't understand why out of the whole of time the Doctor keeps choosing human female companions that live in the 21st century, a Victorian companion would have been a nice change.

ReputationRep:
    I loved that episode!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant episode- so chuffed at how good it was!

It had some moments that weren't so good... I thought some of the dialogue between the doctor and Clara was written in that overdone quirky style that's become such a bore now but on the whole, I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    Ending was basically 'a bunch of stuff happened, but then didn't happen' - honestly hate these resolutions, happens way too often. Too overpowered.

Loved it till that point though. Also loving Clara. :love:

Why was the Doctors sonic blue in the engine room though?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought that the ash zombie things were the TARDIS' white blood cells sent to fight the infection where people were trying to cannibalise it?

ReputationRep:
    That episode was brilliant!

As soon as I saw the crack in the Tardis towards the end, my first thought was "bloody hell not these flipping cracks again!" I thought the creatures were silents too...

ReputationRep:
    That was by far the best episode of the series! Loving the Eye of Harmony just casually being kept in the TARDIS :cool:

The quirky dialogue was a little bit of a let down but I'm used to it by now. Still a tad annoying though! That's the only complaint I have really. Everything else was great - loved it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I think it's too early to say whether or not they should stick to 12 regenerations. The show is very popular now, but will it still be in the future?

I think unlimited regenerations is silly, and twelve is a nice number. But at the same time, I see no reason why there can't be an in-show plot in which the Doctor finds a way to get several more regenerations. Surely there would be some logical way it would happen. If River sacrificed all her regenerations to save the Doctor, I don't see why someone else can't voluntarily give up their regenerations to the Doctor. Or maybe there is Lord of Regeneration Energy somewhere who will give the Doctor extra. Or the Doctor will go on a quest for more regenerations.

The best option would be to keep quiet about it now, and see how well Doctor Who is still doing when we're onto the 13th Doctor. Keep the fans sweating Because, if it's still popular then and has lots of fans, it would be insane to end it.
    In SJA there's a point where Clyde asks the Doctor if his regenerations have a limit and he claims it's 193 (or something similar).

He was being totally serious but I don't know how much SJA's stories are considered part of the WHO-canon.

Just so you know

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.