Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    It was a decent episode. Picked itself up after the Doctor lost his crimson make up.

As to next weeks episode, I already have a prediction:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The kids will ruin it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good episode i thought although some of the acting was a little flat and the Clara thing should have had more focus.

It may not match the Tennant era but i'd say this series has beaten the last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbieastoria)
    I really loved this episode, I honestly don't know why everyone is hating on Moffat, I think these story lines are good, it's a kids show and it has emotion and drama and morals and fun. What more are you guys expecting. This series hasn't been as good as 5 or 6 but it certainly isn't bad, I'm not bored by it at all, I like rings of aktar the only one I wasn't overly keen on was the Russian submarine thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is great for kids but the thing is, the old series was good for the kids and teenagers AND young adults. It wasn't overly childish like it is now. What more are we expecting? Watch an episode called The Girl in the Fireplace. It did everything perfectly - the monsters, spaceship, love, morals, emotion, drama, everything was perfect. That's what we want. We have grown up with the show since we were little and instead of maturing with the fans, it is becoming more childish. Pretty soon it might as well be a whole series revolving around the evil Tellytubbies, hatching some plan to capture the Doctor!
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a brilliant episode, to be honest. I loved the callback to the Victorian era and the continuity of it all. There was a lot of effort put into setting the scene and giving us an idea of the kind of people who were being taken into sweetville - and I love it when the story centres around a non-Doctor character - and this one did for a little, at least.

Love Strax; he's a classic.
    The young, Victorian human assistant was really great, but the sudden development as an expert fighter was cool, but I don't think it really added anything to the story, other than a little sonic screwdriver 'erect' joke, which I chuckled at - the episode had a good few funny moments - but it simply annoyed me a bit since it was outta nowhere like that.
    I like the actual recognition by characters in the series that Homo reptilia and Sontarans aren't the most normal things and are faint-worthy.
    Another thing I found very interesting was the room with the gramophones giving off the sound of working machinery.

Doctor Who has become a series that I watch for the characters as opposed to for the driving forward of the plot for individual episodes. I mean, I watch it for the overriding story arc of the series still, and look for the subtleties that get slipped in, that's always fun, but the driving plot of individual episodes has just lost complete interest for me. "This woman is crazy! Save the world from her!" isn't a particularly exciting plot, but the interactions between the characters is what makes it a great episode for me. Clara being Clara (and my overriding reality-fiction infatuation for her); the Doctor showing off his eccentricism again; the desperate, lonely, deceived blind girl reaching out to a monster to care for - especially striking for me was the moment she learns her mother is going to leave her behind to suffer the apocalypse while others are lifted off to salvation.

Also, is Murray Gold still the musical director? I feel like they've taken the score in another direction from what it has been in the last few series. I've been trying to interpret some significance out of that.

I thought it was alright.

Clara is annoying. I wish Jenny was the companion instead of her!

And the kids at the end :mad: Go away!! It's not the Sarah Jane Adventures!

ReputationRep:
    It was an alright episode, didn't find it great though.

You knew that the venom was removed from the rocket (always is)
    You knew as soon as you saw the homo-reptilia female that her wife would not be far behind, even though her wife is a badass! XD

Also;

Spoiler:
    Show
    WAS THAT AN ACTUAL DEATH IN THIS SERIES OF DOCTOR WHO?!

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong that I kind of wanted Ada to join the Doctor?

The thought of her beating a Cyberman with her walking stick is rather nice. She'd probably be a far better sight than those 2 random kids.

ReputationRep:
    50th Anniversary Spoiler!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Set Photos from a few days ago
    Name:  BJRkkonCAAAAAA5.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  BJRlPJrCcAAHm8p.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  54.8 KB

If you don't understand the references then Google is your friend

Could this mean that Clara is actually Susan (The Doctor's Grand-daughter)?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the episode was... ok I guess.

I quite liked the thing with Strax (genuinely made me chuckle) but wasn't too fond of the whole story really... (my reaction was more of a wtf expression all the way through it more than anything...) plus I think Victorian Britain (or a lookalike) is getting a bit too overused to be honest.

Gotta be honest though, I think it's not as good as it used to be anyway - as someone mentioned before episodes like the Girl in the Fireplace were really good. Bar a good number of episodes from series 5, and 1 or 2 from series 6, I don't think anything really compares to how they were back then anyway... maybe I'm just getting too old for it now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For me i rank the series as 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 7 (so far), 6. And that's a shame really because i love Matt Smith, he's much superior to Ecclestone.

ReputationRep:
    The episode was ok, not the best, not the worst. What strikes me as odd is that The Doctor was going to take Clara to Victorian London.....He was probably trying to 'jog her memory' or something like that, but wouldn't people know her there and get confused? That version did have a life before that Christmas.

Although next week will be awful. God I hate the Cybermen. And the Daleks. But the Cybermen more. Jesus, too many damn Cybermen episodes throughout, it should be finished, they're just horrible enemies ><

ReputationRep:
    Positive points:

* Clara is by far my favourite companion to date, she's witty, flirty, able to keep up with the Doctor intellectually and actually seems to be a real help and I'm genuinely intrigued by the mystery as to why she seems to reincarnate - the fact that Jenna Louise Coleman is pretty gorgeous doesn't hurt either.

* There were some funny points in the last episode (the fainting, Jenny being a secret ninja etc).

Negative points:

* Matt Smith does the eccentric, funny aspects of the Doctor well (not sure if he's better than David Tennant at it but he's good) but in my opinion he really can't touch Tennant for the serious scenes and since he took over I really feel like the series has got more childish and lost the emotional depth that a lot of the episodes had during the Tennant era (although in fairness to Matt Smith I think that's probably due more to the writing than his acting).

* The last episode really didn't do it for me, it just didn't feel like the emotional depth was there (loads of people are dying but no one seems to care?) and it felt to me like there was a lack of tension (at no point was I even slightly worried that everything wouldn't turn out ok).

ReputationRep:
    agree with much of what has been said, however i will disagree on one thing - strax

ok he was funny, but the sontaran are ment to be a strong alien race who enjoy warfare and believe they are the greatest - contrast this with strax who is being bossed about by everyone seemingly

i thought the episode was pretty poor, which is a real pity after the last couple of weeks... im dreading next week though, i suspect the kids will ruin it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)

* The last episode really didn't do it for me, it just didn't feel like the emotional depth was there (loads of people are dying but no one seems to care?) and it felt to me like there was a lack of tension (at no point was I even slightly worried that everything wouldn't turn out ok).
    This this omg this.

The Doctor was almost making jokes about it. It was quite jarring for me, and I didn't enjoy the rest of the episode.

Worst episode in a long long time here. Really not cohesive with no structure and a really 'meh' plot.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a good episode. It didn't pretend to be a really complicated episode and was solved by good old simply smashing up of machines, rather than any lovey-dovey crap. I think the Strax, Vestra and Jenny were brilliant - they made Doctor Who funny again. I'd like to see Jenny as a companion actually and even though Strax is a completely domesticated Sontaran, it just adds to the comedy of it. Also, I think Clara was strong in this episode, whereas in earlier ones she didn't seem to have much character. Finally, I really laughed at the boy's directions being given out like a Sat Nav - again, not sure whether that was a hint of some sort, but it stood well on its own anyway.

I agree with others' criticisms though - there was something odd about the Doctor not caring about the Leech being [quite brutally] killed or Strax shooting whatsherface. I wonder whether there was a point to that: his nonchalance almost seemed too obvious.

As with everyone else, I miss the DT era and to an extent the earlier Matt Smith series. Although I like Clara as a companion, I agree that something is missing from the storytelling as a whole. Someone else has mentioned that they only watch it for the characters these days - I think this applies to me too. In the earlier Smith series and certainly in the DT era, I watched Doctor Who for both the strong characters and the great plotlines. Take one away, and I still enjoy Who but not as much. I have no desire to re-watch that episode (even though it was probably one of my favourites of this series) whereas a year ago, I would always have re-watched the latest episode on iplayer at least twice in the space of a couple of days - and not felt remotely bored of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    other than a little sonic screwdriver 'erect' joke
    How did I miss that?! I noticed the Doctor quite obviously erect his SS, but it didn't click. I'm clearly too innocent. >_<

I chuckled at Strax grumbling about a woman controlling his ammunition (grenades?) though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to post my full reaction to the episode tomorrow but I just wanted to post now because I think I may have found a plot hole.

After the Doctor et al stopped the rocket, and that evil old hag and the leech, I don't remember them going round and helping all the people who were 'preserved' in the jars like Clara was, or even mentioning them. Y'know all those people who were dipped in that red poison, that the whole episode resolved around, couldn't the doctor wake them up like he did with Clara?

Did I miss something or is the writing really that sloppy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    I'm going to post my full reaction to the episode tomorrow but I just wanted to post now because I think I may have found a plot hole.

After the Doctor et al stopped the rocket, and that evil old hag and the leech, I don't remember them going round and helping all the people who were 'preserved' in the jars like Clara was, or even mentioning them. Y'know all those people who were dipped in that red poison, that the whole episode resolved around, couldn't the doctor wake them up like he did with Clara?

Did I miss something or is the writing really that sloppy?
    I think the hag said something along the lines of them being stuck there for a while then awakening to utopia or something, i.e. they'd recover on their own.

ReputationRep:
    The preview for the next episode... isn't the doctor incompatible with cybermen?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty good, can't wait for next weeks though, Cybermen!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.