Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It was an interesting episode tonight, and one I really enjoyed on the whole. However, the children weren't written in well at all, which let down an otherwise very good episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    In the trailer, River and Clara are talking at the same time. Hence, Clara can't be River.
    It's a show about ****ing time travel :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I didn't think this one was very good. Clara was incredibly annoying. I don't believe her or relate to her character at all
    Completely hating her character-what happened to the Clara of Asylum/Snowmen its all disappeared and she has now become so dull-its such a shame She is in the next series because I really doubt the revelation of her character is going to make up for it.

This episode was really,really bad worse than even The Rings of Akaten its still better than Asylum of the Daleks though and I just kept waiting for something to actually happen and the ending was probably the worst ever of the whole series-there is a terrible invasion oh I know we'll blow up the planet the writing is getting ridiculously bad everyone on this thread could write better I bet- it just took me a second to write an ending about 100 times better, with the Doctor using the Cyber-Planner's control to dismantle the cybermen, with an epic quirky Matt Smith speech.The Doctor's solution could have only slowed the Cybermen down enough for them to get away and millions of new cybermen would storm the stars.

I think every episode bar the first one had a bad ending and even the ending to the first one was ok not perfect.There was one thing I liked though-Matt Smith playing the cyber-planner but it was completely overdone and became the episode.

I think the new cybermen weren't as good-not the same death through electrocution and no stomping around.I liked the mini cybermats but they were under used-I would have liked to have seen more scenes with them in.

A lot of it didn't even made sense- they need the children for the cyber-planner and suddenly after death millions of cybermen become alive again because of the Doctor and he is hailed savior of the cybermen how? and for some reason Neill Gaiman seems to have thought he was writing for the Borg-if I was their creators I would sue the Cybermen aren't Borg and the idea of adding small metal pieces instead of proper upgradation is very silly.

I am really angry because now they have messed up the Cybermen as well as the Daleks but I really don't think there has been a good full Cybermen episode since The Next Doctor-Russell T Davies seems to know how to write for them.

ReputationRep:
    good episode, great to see the Cybermen back as well, Warwick Davis was superb as well

the kids being in the series at all has to be the most pointless thrown in plot device to appeal to that demographic ever though, seriously, you could write them out of the entire season and lose exactly nought. (heck you would gain as you don't have the pointlessness of them being there!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    What is it with this series and underwhelming endings? Activating a bomb and then teleporting to safety is not an exciting ending, it's extremely anti-climatic. Once the bomb was set how hard would it have been for the writers to limit the tech the empire ship had so that The Doctor and everyone else had to get to an extraction point to get teleported into the ship? If that was the case they would have had to find a way to slip past the cybermen to get there, this would have made the cybermen a lot more relevant and dangerous, as it was the cybermen didn't really do much other than to serve as a distraction to pad out the chess match.
    Yeah, it was such a bad ending. Most of them have been, like the Cold War ending was really abrupt and just bad all round.

(Original post by The Wild Youth)
    oh, my bad!

well, 'a spin' anyway!
    Ahaha no worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    ...means they can avoid coming out of nothing when all of them had been wiped out - like they've often done with the Daleks.
    When have they done that with the Daleks? First there was that one lone Dalek in series 1 which killed itself and then there was the Dalek Emperor who barely survived the Time War and made Daleks out of bits of human mashed up. Then when they were destroyed they found out the Cult of Skaro were hiding in a Void Ship and they brought out loads of Daleks which were then sucked back into the Void, but the Cult of Skaro temporal shifted to New York in 1930s where they did that human Dalek plan but eventually only one Dalek remained. That Dalek (Caan I think) did an Emergency Temporal Shift and ended up in the Time War, because he used up like a lot of power. Then that Dalek brought back Davros who used his own cells to create a Dalek Empire. When that plan failed and all the Daleks were destroyed, Davros wasn't shown to die so he might be still alive. Then that Dalek Asylum... it sort of makes sense but it was a bit random. I still wouldn't say that the Daleks come out of "nothing" though.

ReputationRep:
    Theory time (based off of confirmed and speculative stuff):

Spoiler:
    Show

In one of the two trailers released so far The Doctor tells Clara that he must never go to Trenzalore; but he has "a duty" to go. From the synopsis released we know that "Someone is kidnapping the Doctor's friends, leading him to the one place he must never go" - Trenzalore.

What I think may happen:
    Why must he never go there? No idea, but he also does mention in one trailer that he is about to cross his own timeline and that the TARDIS doesn't like it. My idea is that in Trenzalore there are pieces/fragments of the Doctors timeline - his past, present and future - and that the Great Intelligence needs the Doctors name to unlock it. In the trailer we see the Doctor in considerable pain and possibly facing death; the GI is wiping The Doctor from existence or erasing his memories. It could be cool to actually have the GI asking The Doctor for his own name and The Doctor not being able to remember it.

That part of the theory is a bit flimsy if I say so myself, but this next part is something I'm sure of:
    Clara: "I was born to save the Doctor". How? Well, if the GI is indeed trying to kill/erase the Doctor through fragments of his timeline/ his memories then Clara needs to split herself and save the Doctor in each instance that the GI is trying to kill him in the past, present and future.

Clara needs to project herself across all time and space but she can't do that as a simple human being. She enters the TARDIS matrix/vortex (the pink/purple light in the trailer) despite River telling her not to (who may actually be the TARDIS interface in this scene) and, as Idris pointed out in The Doctor's Wife - "I exist across all space and time" Clara fragments herself across various points in time: the Dalek asylum where she saves The Doctor and in the Snowmen. Those are two instances and here it gets interesting - Jenna Louise Coleman has said that Clara hasn't met the Doctor just three times before.

In the second trailer we see Clara in different outfits between 0:12-0:15, we also see a yellow vehicle whizzing past; Bessie according to other DW forums, which appears to be true. AFAIK this car hasn't been mentioned to since Classic Who. At this point I think we will see Clara going around various points in time and saving the Doctor from his death.

This may explain the callbacks to a specific Doctor in every episode of 7B so far, Clara may have interacted with them at some point? :dontknow:

Not sure why the GI doesn't just kill the Doctor when he has him trapped around the Whispermen as in the trailer though, seems less troublesome and easier than killing him around time. :P Maybe he wants something else from him? :dontknow:

At the end of the episode we will probably get River going to present time London and giving our point of view Clara a number; she calls it and the events of The Bells of Saint John take place.

Probably a little too far fetched. :P

Here are the trailers I'm referring to btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    Warwick Davis was superb as well
    He really carried the episode. I didn't realise just how good of an actor he was!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)

Spoiler:
    Show

In one of the two trailers released so far The Doctor tells Clara that he must never go to Trenzalore; but he has "a duty" to go. From the synopsis released we know that "Someone is kidnapping the Doctor's friends, leading him to the one place he must never go" - Trenzalore.

What I think may happen:
    Why must he never go there? No idea, but he also does mention in one trailer that he is about to cross his own timeline and that the TARDIS doesn't like it. My idea is that in Trenzalore there are pieces/fragments of the Doctors timeline - his past, present and future - and that the Great Intelligence needs the Doctors name to unlock it. In the trailer we see the Doctor in considerable pain and possibly facing death; the GI is wiping The Doctor from existence or erasing his memories. It could be cool to actually have the GI asking The Doctor for his own name and The Doctor not being able to remember it.

That part of the theory is a bit flimsy if I say so myself, but this next part is something I'm sure of:
    Clara: "I was born to save the Doctor". How? Well, if the GI is indeed trying to kill/erase the Doctor through fragments of his timeline/ his memories then Clara needs to split herself and save the Doctor in each instance that the GI is trying to kill him in the past, present and future.

Clara needs to project herself across all time and space but she can't do that as a simple human being. She enters the TARDIS matrix/vortex (the pink/purple light in the trailer) despite River telling her not to (who may actually be the TARDIS interface in this scene) and, as Idris pointed out in The Doctor's Wife - "I exist across all space and time" Clara fragments herself across various points in time: the Dalek asylum where she saves The Doctor and in the Snowmen. Those are two instances and here it gets interesting - Jenna Louise Coleman has said that Clara hasn't met the Doctor just three times before.

In the second trailer we see Clara in different outfits between 0:12-0:15, we also see a yellow vehicle whizzing past; Bessie according to other DW forums, which appears to be true. AFAIK this car hasn't been mentioned to since Classic Who. At this point I think we will see Clara going around various points in time and saving the Doctor from his death.

This may explain the callbacks to a specific Doctor in every episode of 7B so far, Clara may have interacted with them at some point? :dontknow:

Not sure why the GI doesn't just kill the Doctor when he has him trapped around the Whispermen as in the trailer though, seems less troublesome and easier than killing him around time. :P Maybe he wants something else from him? :dontknow:

At the end of the episode we will probably get River going to present time London and giving our point of view Clara a number; she calls it and the events of The Bells of Saint John take place.

Interesting I don't think that's too far fetched, although you haven't explained everything.

I'm liking the look of the whispermen

ReputationRep:
    At 2 minutes into this week's episode there's one of the dummies from the God Complex in the background. Relevant, or just lazy prop re-usage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    He really carried the episode. I didn't realise just how good of an actor he was!
    warwick davis was excellent - ive seen him in lifes too short and idiot abroad but ive never seen him do some proper acting so like you I never realised quite how good he was!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    At 2 minutes into this week's episode there's one of the dummies from the God Complex in the background. Relevant, or just lazy prop re-usage?
    I noticed that too.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I remember seeing a reference to them in a spoiler for yesterday's episode so I think it must have been deliberate prop placement, but I'm not sure about their significance, if any.

Re: Fields of Trenzalore
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ....On Gallifrey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)
    warwick davis was excellent - ive seen him in lifes too short and idiot abroad but ive never seen him do some proper acting so like you I never realised quite how good he was!!!
    Flitwick?! Griphook?!

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

What I think may happen:

Speculation about the TV trailer:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I don't know about the whole theory, but in the TV trailer at 0:06, it looks as though Clara has looked into the heart of the Tardis (like Rose), so you could be onto something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)
    I've never seen him in anything except for the occasional advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Flitwick?! Griphook?!
    fairpoint, those two escaped my mind.... he was fantastic as griphook as well, flitwick he was never really that involved, but still no complaints!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    There was a blowfish from torchwood too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    he was really good on that Ricky Gervais comedy as well, think he's been in Dr Who before as well (as an alien with red skin IIRC)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    he was really good on that Ricky Gervais comedy as well, think he's been in Dr Who before as well (as an alien with red skin IIRC)
    If you mean Bannakaffalatta the spiky cyborg from the Titanic episode, that wasn't Warwick Davis! That was Jimmy Vee.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

What I think may happen:

Spoiler:
    Show
    that theory is plausible. the stuff about clara projecting herself across all space and time would make sense with the anagram of her name someone posted earlier, A Window Across All.

really looking forward to next week!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.