Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    So why wasn't the great intelligence there at the end too?
    i.e. the last possible version of him?
    The Great Intelligence was there to turn The Doctor's victories into defeats destroying literally 99% of the universe as a result. The last version of The Doctor hadn't done anything as, I am assuming the ripple affect couldn't reach that far due to him being dead up until that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Going by previous times though, it is politics as to why Timelords only have 12 regenerations. The Master if he had helped the Doctor, he would have been given a whole new 12 regeneration cycles, however, where had hadn't he was only given an extra 2.

Also, I think Rassilon had an infinite number of regenerations given his position in the timelord hireachy.

EDIT:
    Otherwise, timelords would be immortal which as stated by previous characters, everything has to die.
    Really? I thought the whole 12 regeneration thing was a biological imperative.

So what happened in Gallifrey at the end on the end of the 13th incarnation? Would the time lord attempt to regenerate, then die/executed?

ReputationRep:
    I think Jon Hurt Doctor kills River Song.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I know I've been moaning about it on this thread, but now I've decided I really enjoyed that episode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Really? I thought the whole 12 regeneration thing was a biological imperative.

So what happened in Gallifrey at the end on the end of the 13th incarnation? Would the time lord attempt to regenerate, then die/executed?
    I am assuming the timelords had to log all their regenerations and once the reached number 12, they removed their ability to regenerate possibly through the use of a virus with a vector to remove the regeneration gene (A level bio ftw!) meaning they die a natural death.

If they hadn't logged their regenerations, I am assuming they would have been executed on the spot or something.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Doctor = a man who heals. Hurt did something not in the name of the doctor. He killed, he didn't heal. He ended the time war. This is why he was not counted as an 'official' incarnation (at least in the Doctor's eyes).
    8th - McGann
    True 9th - Hurt
    9th/True 10th - Eccleston
    10th/True 11th - Tennant

Understand now?

ReputationRep:
    Why did they cancel doctor who confidential? We wouldn't have many of these confused people on this Earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnuofesd)
    That's a bit messed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnuofesd)
    River song already died....

ReputationRep:
    I am assuming the timelords had to log all their regenerations and once the reached number 12, they removed their ability to regenerate possibly through the use of a virus with a vector to remove the regeneration gene (A level bio ftw!) meaning they die a natural death.

If they hadn't logged their regenerations, I am assuming they would have been executed on the spot or something.
    So really, the Doctor could regenerate endlessly?

ReputationRep:
    November is too far away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The 'Forgotten 9th' theory makes a lot more sense now. I don't think its a future version of the Doctor; 11 recognised him so he would be from his past. What did the Doctor do in his past that broke the promise of his name? I would guess that as an act of finishing the time war by committing the genocide of his people, he royally ****ed the true meaning of his name (which could simply be 'the man who helps people' as the Master said in The Sound of the Drums) in Gallifreyan and he wants to forget it. Strange how Clara couldn't see that in his stream though. :dontknow:

Now. Where is that 50th clip we were promised?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Em8lmmTNkA

ReputationRep:

Except in the classic show the Master tried to regenerate past his end and ended up basically a walking zombie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    So really, the Doctor could regenerate endlessly?
    If he chose to, although, Timelord politics has not gone into much depth given The Doctor is now the final word on Timelord politics if you remove timelord or human/timelord hybrids currently in existence including the following;

Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter)
    Donna Noble
    River Song
    The Master (Who's fate is currently unknown)

The biology isn't known that well either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Except in the classic show the Master tried to regenerate past his end and ended up basically a walking zombie.
    Not seen the classic, although, I did look on the wiki for The Master and saw a zombified version. I thought this was a consequence of an action of his own plan which went wrong though.

If this is true, it sounds as though whenever a timelord regenerates, their DNA degrades each time meaning at the 13th regeneration, the tissue becomes unstable.

ReputationRep:
    Huh.

A Time Lord past its 13th form:

ReputationRep:
    Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.

Yeah, and saying 'introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' over his face was pretty dumb, but I guess the show has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, namely dumbass children who can't be arsed to read it in the credits or recognise him from Harry Potter/Merlin. My immersion into the episode was completely ruined by that. I enjoyed that reveal, even though it was spoiled for some reason (how about you keep your show secret instead of having your actors reveal the plot in interviews?)

Dumbass BBC

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant. I was hoping for a sneak peak of the 50th though. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.
    Actually I've been thinking that "The Name of The Doctor" refers to Matt's line about Hurt doing something which isn't in the name of the doctor, probably the genocide of the Daleks & Time Lords.

Looking back though, The Silence say that "Silence must fall when the question is asked", meaning that they don't want him to open his Tomb for the GI to go and destroy 99% of the Universe.,,,,,are the Silence good guys? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Not seen the classic, although, I did look on the wiki for The Master and saw a zombified version. I thought this was a consequence of an action of his own plan which went wrong though.

If this is true, it sounds as though whenever a timelord regenerates, their DNA degrades each time meaning at the 13th regeneration, the tissue becomes unstable.
    Been a while but I think the implication was at the time that the dna only broke down when trying to regenerate past its limit but even talks then said the limit was likely pre set rather than natural as Rassilon was said to be in his tomb but they didn't know if he was really dead or could die.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.