Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching the Finale! Double Yoo Tee ****! That ending. THAT ENDING! SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Loved every second of that episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.

Yeah, and saying 'introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' over his face was pretty dumb, but I guess the show has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, namely dumbass children who can't be arsed to read it in the credits or recognise him from Harry Potter/Merlin. My immersion into the episode was completely ruined by that. I enjoyed that reveal, even though it was spoiled for some reason (how about you keep your show secret instead of having your actors reveal the plot in interviews?)

Dumbass BBC
    Imagine if most took it as though The Doctor's name was John Hurt. What if it is? :rofl2:

50th

Spoiler:
    Show
    I would absolutely love it if they showed us McGann regenerating into John Hurt into Chris Ec in the 50th. I know they have been confirmed not to appear but why couldn't they just be in it for a little bit? :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.

Yeah, and saying 'introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' over his face was pretty dumb, but I guess the show has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, namely dumbass children who can't be arsed to read it in the credits or recognise him from Harry Potter/Merlin. My immersion into the episode was completely ruined by that. I enjoyed that reveal, even though it was spoiled for some reason (how about you keep your show secret instead of having your actors reveal the plot in interviews?)

Dumbass BBC
    Because the episode wasn't about revealing his name, it was about revealing that the doctors name is a promise- ie, when he becomes the valeyard he isn't the doctor.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnuofesd)
    I think Jon Hurt Doctor kills River Song.
    No, she killed herself in the library in saving the doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's going on about
    Spoiler:
    Show
    John Hurt being the 9th Doctor
    but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Actually I've been thinking that "The Name of The Doctor" refers to Matt's line about Hurt doing something which isn't in the name of the doctor, probably the genocide of the Daleks & Time Lords.

Looking back though, The Silence say that "Silence must fall when the question is asked", meaning that they don't want him to open his Tomb for the GI to go and destroy 99% of the Universe.,,,,,are the Silence good guys? :confused:
    Yes it's been known for quite a while now. They are the silent guardians of the universe - remember they had been on Earth for hundreds of years living with humans. Anyway, they tried to kill the Doctor before hand in order to prevent him from going to Trenzalore, opening his tomb and destroying the universe. They trained River Song to kill him but the irony there is she is the one that actually opened the tomb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:
    It would be quite worrying if the Doctor does become as dark as they say and become the Valeyard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Everyone's going on about John Hurt being the 9th Doctor but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I do like the fact that the Valeyard is in the showrunners mind. I was always slightly worried that that part of 'Classic Who' would get ignored when we finally do get to the 12th doctors regeneration.

ReputationRep:
    What is the Valeyard?

ReputationRep:
    The Silence have become the most incompetent villains on Doctor Who, "Let's kill the Doctor so the universe won't get destroyed!"

Blow up the TARDIS to kill him and end up destroying the universe
    Create a psycopath to kill him and end up with her opening the tomb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    Because the episode wasn't about revealing his name, it was about revealing that the doctors name is a promise- ie, when he becomes the valeyard he isn't the doctor.
    That's still deliberately provoking us and laughing at us that they know and we don't his name. His real name's the password to get in the grave, oh dear, lucky that plot device was spoken off screen and out of the audio. How long do you reckon they're still going to go on about the fact that they know his name but us?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "I saw all of you. Eleven faces, all of them you. You're the Eleventh Doctor."
    "I said he was me. I never said he was the Doctor....the name you choose is like a promise you make. He's the one who broke the promise. He is my secret."
    (Doctor = heal people, when the Doctor ended the time war he broke the promise of being a Doctor.)
    John Hurt is the real 9th Doctor, people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    What is the Valeyard?
    He is a dark form of the Doctor that was created during the regeneration of the 12th to the 13th Doctor. He was in the series when Colin Baker was the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368912557.496108.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  19.1 KB hey guys, is that David in the background or someone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What?! Omg my head hurts, that episode was so good (so much better than the other episodes this series) but that ending came out of nowhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henna x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, its from the Silence in the Library episode.

ReputationRep:
    That's still deliberately provoking us and laughing at us that they know and we don't his name. His real name's the password to get in the grave, oh dear, lucky that plot device was spoken off screen and out of the audio. How long do you reckon they're still going to go on about the fact that they know his name but us?
    They probably don't even know his name, it will never be revealed and if a writer tries to create one it will ruin the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Looks like David Tennant.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is definitely Tennant's Doctor in the background, the scene is from the Forest of the Dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    It would be quite worrying if the Doctor does become as dark as they say and become the Valeyard...
    As in... Screen episodes with him as the Valeyard? I don't think I'd like that.

(Original post by Yoghurt)
    I do like the fact that the Valeyard is in the showrunners mind. I was always slightly worried that that part of 'Classic Who' would get ignored when we finally do get to the 12th doctors regeneration.
    I always love throwbacks to Classic Who, as I grew up watching it (back on UKTV Gold, those were the days!)

(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    What is the Valeyard?
    Taken from the Valeyard's Wikipedia page:

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    The Valeyard is a fictional character from the long-running British science fiction television series, Doctor Who. He is described as an amalgamation of the Doctor from between his twelfth and final incarnations.
    Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.