Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Why do you guys think Clara hadn't seen the John Hurt Doctor? Surely if she spread throughout his whole timeline and saw the original 11 doctors, she would have seen him too, regardless of whether he went by the name of the doctor blah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonrage973)
    I just thought of something. In the episode "The God Complex" the Doctor looks into his room and supposedly sees his worst fear. And he says something like "Of course, who else?". I'm going to take a guess that the person he saw is his forgotten regeneration, i.e. the one we saw at the end of this episode played by John Hurt. That was his worst fear. Idk it's just a theory.
    Gah, need to rewatch that one.

ReputationRep:
    It was such a good concept to start with, and then it just turned into another episode that was far too rushed and didn't have a proper plot. Spread over 2 or 3 episodes it would have been great, but really? it was pretty average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    It was such a good concept to start with, and then it just turned into another episode that was far too rushed and didn't have a proper plot. Spread over 2 or 3 episodes it would have been great, but really? it was pretty average.
    I know what you mean. One of the disadvantages of the Steven Moffat's stories is that the doctor just gets there - RTD made the story exciting even before the doctor got where he needed to go with twists and turns and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Are you sure? I don't think she was remembering the times she saved the Doctor (she certainly remembered her journey to the centre of the TARDIS, but saving the Doctor hadn't even happened in her timeline yet), but to me it seems like she just worked out why the Doctor had seen her twice before - she worked out that the reason he'd seen her before is because she was "destined" to walk into his timestream.
    Yes, that's correct. I just re-watched the scene where GI enters the scar tissue. I mistakenly assumed the camera changing to show us the Dalek Asylum (after Vastra mentioned the asylum while the Doctor was dying) to be Clara feeling her time in the Asylum.

(Original post by Jarred)
    I loved last nights episode, haven't felt so hyped at an ending of a Dr Who finale since I was much younger.

I get the feeling that hurt is the Doctor in-between McGann and Eccleston. His outfit in leaked photos suggests this, and I sense that he was probably the Doctor that killed off all of the Timelords - something the Doctor knows he had to do, but something that torments him more than anything else and something he wants to hide away. That being said, that doesn't exactly make Hurt's doctor a "secret" if what he did was something as enormous as annihilating two of the largest empires in all of space and time. So maybe something else is on the cards.
    I've wondered about Hurt being the Doctor's secret too. As you say, the whole time war thing isn't exactly a secret...

I think the secret probably has something to do with his family. There's so much mystery around this... We know the Doctor had a child. We also know the Doctor's family was lost during/after the time war...

Maybe he ran; just as he did when he looked into the time vortex as a child. Maybe he could have saved his family, but couldn't risk it at the expense of the universe. Maybe that's why he spends his life selflessly helping people - in order to make up for the family he sacrificed.

Damn... that's sad. I hope that's not true. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    If Hurt's Doctor is a previous regeneration of Smith's Doctor will Smith's Doctor not have all of Hurt's Doctor's memories? So any confrontation between them would be strange as Smith's Doctor would already know what happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    If Hurt's Doctor is a previous regeneration of Smith's Doctor will Smith's Doctor not have all of Hurt's Doctor's memories? So any confrontation between them would be strange as Smith's Doctor would already know what happens!
    Not really:

I miss David...

What I mean is that Smith's meeting with Hurt's Doctor doesn't necessarily have to have happened in order for it to take place, since time is always influx.

ReputationRep:
    I rewatched this episode, and the Doctor said something about "I have to save Vastra and Strax, and Jenny too if possible, because they helped me through dark times" (paraphrased there, I haven't got the exact quote).

What was he talking about? I know what I'd like to think but I could be wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I rewatched this episode, and the Doctor said something about "I have to save Vastra and Strax, and Jenny too if possible, because they helped me through dark times" (paraphrased there, I haven't got the exact quote).

What was he talking about? I know what I'd like to think but I could be wrong
    Isn't when he was parked on a cloud doing nothing for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't when he was parked on a cloud doing nothing for ages.
    Yes, but why was he up on the cloud?

ReputationRep:
    He was getting over losing the Ponds. Doing his whole "Everyone leaves me eventually, so I'll stop caring about anyone other than me" thing again.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Aula)
    He was getting over losing the Ponds. Doing his whole "Everyone leaves me eventually, so I'll stop caring about anyone other than me" thing again.
    Yeh that. You'd think he would have just learnt to deal with it by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)

Yeh that. You'd think he would have just learnt to deal with it by now.

See I did think that, but I think that's a bit... Lame he wasn't that distraught by anyone else leaving.

I did hope maybe he'd said his last goodbyes to River before she left for the library

ReputationRep:
    See I did think that, but I think that's a bit... Lame he wasn't that distraught by anyone else leaving.

I did hope maybe he'd said his last goodbyes to River before she left for the library
    Maybe he had. The way he spoke to the vision thing of her suggests that's a possibility.

ReputationRep:

I saw him as distraught over all his post Time War companions leaving, except maybe Mickey and Martha, he just gets hurt more and more each time dont forget most of those companions wanted to travel with him till they died and all of them apart from Martha were taken from him(so the only one he wasnt upset about was the one who left of their free will)

ReputationRep:
    I saw the finale again just now. I was welling up.

When The Doctor asks Clara: "It was Trenzalore? It was definitely Trenzalore?" and started crying I started too. Then River Song's departure, the music for goodness sake.

So many feels. This show never fails to break my heart again and again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrizzle94)
    I saw the finale again just now. I was welling up.

When The Doctor asks Clara: "It was Trenzalore? It was definitely Trenzalore?" and started crying I started too. Then River Song's departure, the music for goodness sake.

So many feels. This show never fails to break my heart again and again.
    It feels like someone ran over my cat. I keep thinking about River's departure and I literally just cry, she was my favourite companion. I miss her already. And the music *sob sob sob*

ReputationRep:
    So, months and months of dull Saturday nights ahead of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    It feels like someone ran over my cat. I keep thinking about River's departure and I literally just cry, she was my favourite companion. I miss her already. And the music *sob sob sob*
    Sorry, I must have missed the memo. Is it confirmed that River isn't coming back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Sorry, I must have missed the memo. Is it confirmed that River isn't coming back?
    Not confirmed either way, but people have guessed it since her last scene in the finale seemed to be a last farewell to the Doctor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.