Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotfireLegend)
    Moffat wants a shot at the big screen, did you mean? Yeah, he does.
    Smith does though they could well go for a joint project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Smith does though they could well go for a joint project.
    OH!

Even so, my point still applies to the past doctors (Eccleston, especially) and the general writing (have multiple links/sources for that).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    But not sure about female. It's implied that Time Lords are one gender or another, so would be a bit bizarre.
    No it isn't - the corsair (as mentioned in the doctors wife) had different genders: remember the line about the tattoo "just didn't feel himself, or herself a couple of times, without it". Then there was also Matt Smiths regeneration: when checking his hair he thought he was a girl for a second.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kinda saddened that I don't feel that bothered about MS departure in comparison to CE and DT's departures

ReputationRep:
    Personally then i have 4 punts (none of which will now be correct)..

Bennedict
    Tennant
    Radcliffe
    Wheaton
    Are you talking about David Tennant? You know that he's already been the Doctor, right...?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    Are you talking about David Tennant? You know that he's already been the Doctor, right...?

Hey.. I'm hope-casting here. Don't ruin it.

ReputationRep:
    No-one seems to be talking about John Hurt. Surely it's implied that he will be taking over, isn't it? I can't imagine they'd make a big deal of introducing him with a dramatic surprise, and end up only using him as an extra during the 50th special. There must be more to it than that, and now we know MS is leaving, it seems logical to conclude that JH will be taking over.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No-one seems to be talking about John Hurt. Surely it's implied that he will be taking over, isn't it? I can't imagine they'd make a big deal of introducing him with a dramatic surprise, and end up only using him as an extra during the 50th special. There must be more to it than that, and now we know MS is leaving, it seems logical to conclude that JH will be taking over.
    He's the 9th Doctor, the one who committed genocide.

ReputationRep:
    But that doesn't mean the series can't be centred on him for a while. Maybe he had some adventures either before or after the time war.

ReputationRep:
    Moffat has implied that it'll be someone up-and-coming, an actor who's at least relatively unknown as of yet. Hurt would be far too obvious, in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Not that old, but the original series Doctors were all considerably older and I've got a bit bored with Matt Smith being so childish all the time. DT was once in a while but he could do serious as well, much better than Matt Smith. I'm hoping for someone mid-30s...
    Not that Matt hasn't been really good, I enjoy him, but I agree, it would be nice to have an actor who plays it with a bit of gravitas. Anyone for Benedict Cumberbatch?? We can wish.

ReputationRep:
    Confused... How can he be the 9th doctor, that was C.E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Not that Matt hasn't been really good, I enjoy him, but I agree, it would be nice to have an actor who plays it with a bit of gravitas. Anyone for Benedict Cumberbatch?? We can wish.
    Benedict should play the next master, he'd be perfect for it. Anyone who's seen Star Trek 2 will know what I mean.

'I will walk over your cold corpses...'

ReputationRep:
    I think Benedict is too big a star now to bother with a TV series like Doctor Who, at least until he is a lot older and his star power has started to wane. Sherlock is different as they are of a higher calibre with greater appeal and exposure than DW but I can't imagine him doing more than one series after the current one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    Confused... How can he be the 9th doctor, that was C.E?
    The Doctor explained that, what he did was so bad that he did not do it in the name of the Doctor.

Note: I and many are guessing he committed genocide but it is known that he's the 9th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    I think Benedict is too big a star now to bother with a TV series like Doctor Who, at least until he is a lot older and his star power has started to wane. Sherlock is different as they are of a higher calibre with greater appeal and exposure than DW but I can't imagine him doing more than one series after the current one.
    I would have to disagree because Benedict always said he would be willing to do Dr Who, I think he even discussed it with Moffat (who also writes Sherlock) but nothing ever came of it. If Moffat stays on for Dr Who I could see it happening in a year or so. Plus Who has had some very big names on it (like John Hurt) because Dr Who is like a national treasure and the actors often watched it as a child.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to disagree because Benedict always said he would be willing to do Dr Who, I think he even discussed it with Moffat (who also writes Sherlock) but nothing ever came of it. If Moffat stays on for Dr Who I could see it happening in a year or so. Plus Who has had some very big names on it (like John Hurt) because Dr Who is like a national treasure and the actors often watched it as a child.
    The likes of John Hurt isn't Hollywood big or in the prime of his career, which is why I said Benedict could do once his star power wanes. There is not a chance he would give up the chance of another Hollywood blockbuster to work on Doctor Who when he is already tied down with Sherlock.

Edit: I imagine (but I could be wrong) that when he was discussing working on DW it was before the second series of Sherlock and before he had broken out in Hollywood.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Doctor should be another 'nobody' like Matt Smith was.

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor explained that, what he did was so bad that he did not do it in the name of the Doctor.

Note: I and many are guessing he committed genocide but it is known that he's the 9th.
    Sorry if I'm being a complete idiot here, but Matt Smith is 11, Tennant was 10 and Eccleston was 9. So how can 9 have a different face? Or has he aged?

I thought Hurt would play either a future doctor/Valeyard or an incarnation before the 1st Doctor, and what he did was so bad it made him take on the name of the Doctor to stop himself doing anything like it again.

On another note I'm very surprised to Matt leave so soon as it always sounded like he'd be on for at least another series, in interviews etc.
    Everyone is guessing big names for the next Doctor but it'll probably be someone quite unknown. I would have liked to see Iain de caestecker (from The Fades) or Ben Whishaw (Skyfall's Q) but both are quite young and I think we'll probably see someone older than Smith take on the role.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I'm being a complete idiot here, but Matt Smith is 11, Tennant was 10 and Eccleston was 9. So how can 9 have a different face? Or has he aged?

I thought Hurt would play either a future doctor/Valeyard or an incarnation before the 1st Doctor, and what he did was so bad it made him take on the name of the Doctor to stop himself doing anything like it again.

On another note I'm very surprised to Matt leave so soon as it always sounded like he'd be on for at least another series, in interviews etc.
    Everyone is guessing big names for the next Doctor but it'll probably be someone quite unknown. I would have liked to see Iain de caestecker (from The Fades) or Ben Whishaw (Skyfall's Q) but both are quite young and I think we'll probably see someone older than Smith take on the role.
    Hurt was the 9th incarnation, but what he did wasn't in the name of the doctor, he's not considered as the doctor - Ecclestone was the 9th Doctor, but the 10th incarnation of that time lord.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.