The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Do you think they might finally show the 50th special trailer during this live show? Seems like a decent opportunity I guess, how long will the show be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
No, you knew that 'a press source had leaked' and therefore it was likely. It has now been officially announced :hmmm:

Not particularly, I'm concerned about Capaldi. I'd struggle with half expecting him to swear every other word :mmm:
I'd rather like it to be someone unexpected and relatively unknown, like Matt was :yep:

If there had to be a female doctor, then I could see Tamsin doing very well, but I'd prefer it to stick to being a male doctor. I'd love to see her as a companion though. I imagine it would be on the Doctor Donna level :teeth:

Pedant! I pedant I say!

You should see him in his breakout role in Local Hero :biggrin: He's adorable, has a fairly innocent crush and looks after an injured bunny, it's rather... Conflicting.

I hope they're unknown so long as I actually know them and can then act all hipster-y :awesome: I would certainly settle for her being a companion but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Clara going sadly and companions are usually a fair bit younger.

Original post by shadowdweller
:five:

She definitely made Black Books. I could see her being a good transition into the idea of a female Doctor, like you say she would be able to command authority well

Olivia Coleman?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Olivia Coleman was in Green Wing with her, she plays comedy and drama really, really well. She was in Hot Fuzz as the female policeman so perhaps you know her from there?

:love: She just sorts of radiates happy feels but as soon as she 'switches' you're pretty sure she could knock your block off.(I don't know why but while google image searching I got Sean Bean in drag with a blonde wig... I would also approve of that being the new Doctor. The fan rage would be bliss).
Original post by jbroderick
Do you think they might finally show the 50th special trailer during this live show? Seems like a decent opportunity I guess, how long will the show be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

THey better I'm so angry that they haven't put it online not even for the UK where our tax like pays for the show :tongue: and I've been checking Dr Who news most days and somehow missed this info today lol Will be watching that then-how long is the live show?
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
She does have a wonderful other-wordly quality to her sometimes and she can pull off any clothes they give her.

I do love Rory Kinnear but he's already quashed all rumours that it's going to be him sadly. I'm not sure how good he would be though, I like him in things like Count Arthur Strong where he's a sort of blundering middle class englishman who thinks the most important thing in the world is people thinking he's a 'nice guy'. I can't really see him running around and punching daleks in the face.

*waves* Hello new people, 'tis always wonderful to see more fellow fans :^_^: Why not introduce yourselves a bit? Favourite doctors/eps etc, all that fun stuff.

Hello *Waves back* Well my favourite is probably Matt Smith simply because of the story lines that have accompanied him eg Amy Pond and Riversong. My favourite episodes have been Amy's choice/The time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. My favourite/creepiest alien is probably the Weeping angels *shivers* DID ANYBODY SEE THAT THE NEW DOCTOR IS GOING TO BE REVEALED LIVE ON BBC THIS WEEKEND AFSBFKFNFJFKCNFJFKFJ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1844
Anyone know what time the special programme is on Sunday?
Original post by Feefifofum
I am also a huge fan! I don't want a female Doctor, but if we have to have one then she'd do a good job. She's a fantastic actor.

HUZZAH! IMHO she's pretty much the most underrated actor going although she's going to be in the new Shearsmith/Pemberton series so hopefully she'll get a big role in that. It's just like a perfect merger of everything I love right there :colone:

Original post by Feefifofum
I love how they still called it 'BREAKING NEWS' even though it's been going round the fan sites for hours :rofl: Nice to have it confirmed though, I was half suspecting this all to be a ruse by Moffat to get us all excited, then they'd show an old Cash in the Attic or something. Moffat is the ultimate troll.

The sad part is... I would also be happy with an episode of Cash in the Attic. It's my guilty pleasure watch :yep:
Original post by Morgsie
Anyone know what time the special programme is on Sunday?

Pretty sure it's 7:00pm but I don't know how much they'll just build it up with fluff.
Original post by Jessica2008
Hello *Waves back* Well my favourite is probably Matt Smith simply because of the story lines that have accompanied him eg Amy Pond and Riversong. My favourite episodes have been Amy's choice/The time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. My favourite/creepiest alien is probably the Weeping angels *shivers* DID ANYBODY SEE THAT THE NEW DOCTOR IS GOING TO BE REVEALED LIVE ON BBC THIS WEEKEND AFSBFKFNFJFKCNFJFKFJ

I think it's fair to say we're all excited for it XD

Alas to my great shame I haven't caught the Amy Pond seasons, I sort of fell out with DW around the end of Davies's tenure and only got back in recently although i'm fairly up to date on a few DW audio productions and Classic Who. But yush, Weeping Angels are fantabulous.
Olivia Coleman was in Green Wing with her, she plays comedy and drama really, really well. She was in Hot Fuzz as the female policeman so perhaps you know her from there?

:love: She just sorts of radiates happy feels but as soon as she 'switches' you're pretty sure she could knock your block off.(I don't know why but while google image searching I got Sean Bean in drag with a blonde wig... I would also approve of that being the new Doctor. The fan rage would be bliss).

Oh right, I know of her, just not be name. Seen her in Green Wing & Hot Fuzz :yep:

She's been in Doctor Who already though. I mean that's not unprecedented (Martha and Amy for instance) but I can't see them using someone whose already been in it as the Doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1849
Pedant! I pedant I say!

Not a pedant!
Merely confirming for the masses that Moffat was not going to change his mind because of rumours. As FFFF said, he is the ultimate troll :sly:

You should see him in his breakout role in Local Hero :biggrin: He's adorable, has a fairly innocent crush and looks after an injured bunny, it's rather... Conflicting.

:mmm: I'm sure that if it is him I'd eventually learn to cope. I'd just be confused when he got angry and started shouting...

I hope they're unknown so long as I actually know them and can then act all hipster-y :awesome: I would certainly settle for her being a companion but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Clara going sadly and companions are usually a fair bit younger.

I was like that with Matt Smith, having watched Party Animals :awesome:
I was a supporter of his right from the very beginning :proud:

Original post by extermin8or
THey better I'm so angry that they haven't put it online not even for the UK where our tax like pays for the show :tongue: and I've been checking Dr Who news most days and somehow missed this info today lol Will be watching that then-how long is the live show?

It was only officially announced just after midnight. It's been circulating on various websites and forums for a bit longer though, and it'll be at 7pm on Sunday 4th August, and half an hour. The link to the page with info about it is in my post with the twitter announcement.
Oh right, I know of her, just not be name. Seen her in Green Wing & Hot Fuzz :yep:

She's been in Doctor Who already though. I mean that's not unprecedented (Martha and Amy for instance) but I can't see them using someone whose already been in it as the Doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile

*sigh* I've missed more DW than I thought then, I seemed to have bailed out before it got back going. Darn younger me and my indifference to science fiction.

Also I need to stop spelling her name wrong *cough* *Colman
*sigh* I've missed more DW than I thought then, I seemed to have bailed out before it got back going. Darn younger me and my indifference to science fiction.

Also I need to stop spelling her name wrong *cough* *Colman

It was only a bit part in The Eleventh Hour, you might have seen it and just not noticed her :tongue:

Yeah, that was what threw me when I tried to Google her :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aula
Not a pedant!
Merely confirming for the masses that Moffat was not going to change his mind because of rumours. As FFFF said, he is the ultimate troll :sly:

He's not as bad as everyone says he is, it's just the fanbase he's a part of just rage over every detail.

:mmm: I'm sure that if it is him I'd eventually learn to cope. I'd just be confused when he got angry and started shouting...

Would it be possible for them not to throw in just one tinsy winsy lil reference to Malcolm? :colondollar: I can't tell if I like him enough to bother watching Torchwood, there's something about that show that rubs me up the wrong way.

I was like that with Matt Smith, having watched Party Animals :awesome:
I was a supporter of his right from the very beginning :proud:

-salutes-

It was only officially announced just after midnight. It's been circulating on various websites and forums for a bit longer though, and it'll be at 7pm on Sunday 4th August, and half an hour. The link to the page with info about it is in my post with the twitter announcement.

If they get to Sunday night and it hasn't been leaked then there's people who deserve a medal.
Actually I also don't particularly want a female Doctor. I'd explain but I cba, I have my reasons anyway IF they do go with a Female Doctor- I'd want Ruth Wilson to have the part-no idea if she'd even have auditioned but personally I think she'd be able to pull it off and bring a whole new dimention to the character. As for who I'd want if it's a guy-I have no idea. interestingly however Jenna Louise Coleman recently did an interview on the topic I saw and she said like "the doctor sort of has to feel like everyones Dad uncle, grandfather etc etc all in one" now I found it interesting SHE only listed male type roles in society and constantly reffered to the unnannounced Doctor as HE. Despite claiming she didn't know who it was, this was a few days ago aswell. We shall see soon enough.
Never going to happen but Gary Oldman could be superb.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Never going to happen but Gary Oldman could be superb.

To be fair, Gary Oldman could do the entire series as a one man play and it would be glorious :wink:

Yeah, that was what threw me when I tried to Google her :unimpressed:

My bad :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colin Baker was in an earlier episode of Who before he took of the title role, he actually tried to kill The Doctor in his previous appearance.
Original post by Perfect_Gent
Colin Baker was in an earlier episode of Who before he took of the title role, he actually tried to kill The Doctor in his previous appearance.

Oh OK, I take back what I said then - not seen much of Classic Who :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1858
So many Whovians rooting for Peter Capaidi
Original post by SyedaK
So many Whovians rooting for Peter Capaidi

I'm up for anybody with a Y chromosome. A female Doctor would stretch credibility too far but nothing would surprise me with Moffat!

Quick Reply

Latest