Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    What concerns me, is the fact that this live show hasn't been advertised ... it's not in the tv guides or anything. So what about fans who don't go on forums, how will they know to watch it?
    It'll probably turn up on iPlayer or something afterwards, and even if it does not, it'll probably be on the news the next day anyway...

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me, is the fact that this live show hasn't been advertised ... it's not in the tv guides or anything. So what about fans who don't go on forums, how will they know to watch it?
    Yeh it's weird, it wasn't even on the Sky TV guide when I looked this morning, it just had news, mastermind etc. It all seems very sudden, I wonder if they are trying to reveal it before it gets revealed by the newspapers.

So much for the whole 'we don't know who it is yet, we're still auditioning people' that Moffat kept saying, I knew it was rubbish.
    Rule no. 1: Moffat lies.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It was also announced on Twitter and there's an article on the BBC, so hopefully most fans will find out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there was an embargo on it being (officially) announced before midnight last night.
    I think they're going to start advertising it nowish. There's a trailer on the BBC website.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way surely that the new Doctor won't be leaked beforehand? The BBC aint lucky like that normally.

(Original post by JordanS94)
    I just had to explain the Sean Bean bit.

Both Olivia Coleman and Sean Bean stared in Accused this year. Sean Bean was in a different episode and played an transvestite called Tracy... She's not just good at comedy her performance in Accused earned her a Bafta
    Ahhh merci, for some reason I forgot that show had different storylines, I only remembered it as being the show with Sean Bean. If OC is so good in it though i'll have to watch it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    There's no way surely that the new Doctor won't be leaked beforehand? The BBC aint lucky like that normally.
    They did really well with a few things though. When Matt Smith was announced there was no leak, and when JLC appeared in Asylum of the Daleks no one knew that that was coming. It's possible that it'll be kept under wraps.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday is probably when we will get to see the trailer for the 50th too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Nah, remember what Clara said in the last episode "11 faces, all of them you". 11, not 12. Smith is that time-lords 12 regeneration, but he's the 11th doctor.

Oh, and afaik the 13 regenerations limit only applied when the time lords were around to enforce it (it's a political limit, not biological) Given they're locked in the time war, they can't enforce it and the doctor could conceivably keep on regenerating until he wants to stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    also in 'lets kill hitler' didn't River give the Dr all of her remaining regeneration energy?

(Original post by Feefifofum)
    They did really well with a few things though. When Matt Smith was announced there was no leak, and when JLC appeared in Asylum of the Daleks no one knew that that was coming. It's possible that it'll be kept under wraps.
    That was such a good surprise

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Sunday is probably when we will get to see the trailer for the 50th too.
    I hope so. Sunday has the potential to be SUCH a good day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracecooke55)
    also in 'lets kill hitler' didn't River give the Dr all of her remaining regeneration energy?
    She did but no idea if that would add regens and its looking likely if the dalek and the doctor from the time war are put and about then the master and the time lords must be too surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extermin8or)
    She did but no idea if that would add regens and its looking likely if the dalek and the doctor from the time war are put and about then the master and the time lords must be too surely?
    We don't know if the Daleks are out and about or if we are going to see them in flashbacks of the time war...

ReputationRep:
    We don't know if the Daleks are out and about or if we are going to see them in flashbacks of the time war...
    Well logically john hurt is most certainly out and about- would make sense if daleks are too no?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I definitely think it's the time war! That's what I heard anyway

Put in spoilers just to be picky

ReputationRep:
    Well logically john hurt is most certainly out and about- would make sense if daleks are too no?
    It's possible certainly - I'm just saying that we don't know if anyone but the Doctor got out. And we know he got out anyway since, well, he's been around ever since!

ReputationRep:
    It's possible certainly - I'm just saying that we don't know if anyone but the Doctor got out. And we know he got out anyway since, well, he's been around ever since!
    True but I thought it was ecclson that was supposed to have left the time war and that the doctor before him had regenerated right at the end if the time war? Or is this something that was never actually specified?

I just saw a trailer for sunday on BBC 1

ReputationRep:
    True but I thought it was ecclson that was supposed to have left the time war and that the doctor before him had regenerated right at the end if the time war? Or is this something that was never actually specified?
    Eccleston is the first doctor after the time war, but iirc in the very first episode of the new series, he's never seen himself when he looks at himself in the mirror in Rose's house - meaning he has only regenerated very recently.

Whether this is just pre, or post escaping the time war, however, has never been explored.

Thus far...

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Aula)
    Eccleston is the first doctor after the time war, but iirc in the very first episode of the new series, he's never seen himself when he looks at himself in the mirror in Rose's house - meaning he has only regenerated very recently.

Whether this is just pre, or post escaping the time war, however, has never been explored.

Thus far...
    What Aula said. We don't know if the Doctor had regenerated into Ecclestone before or after the end of the time war. Or maybe sealing it off was what killed that body... Either way I assume we'll find out in the 50th anniversary episode.

ReputationRep:
    What Aula said. We don't know if the Doctor had regenerated into Ecclestone before or after the end of the time war. Or maybe sealing it off was what killed that body... Either way I assume we'll find out in the 50th anniversary episode.
    Certainly sounds like it'll be quite a dark episode then... Yay :ahee: although i'll probably spend the entire ep wanting him to go in disguise as Quentin Crisp ... I loved that show too much to be normal.

ReputationRep:
    Courtesy of the Guardian Picture Desk <3

"A Dalek made of straw created by Snugburys ice cream shop in a field near Nantwich in Cheshire. For over 10 years the owners of the ice cream shop have been building amazing straw sculptures in their field along side Chester Road. This year's sculpture coincides with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA"

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013...phs-of-the-day

:daydreaming:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.