Do you hide the fact you come on TSR? Why? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you hide the fact you come on TSR?
    Yes, I use TSR secretly
    47.95%
    No, other people know I use TSR
    52.05%

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2304508 and from several conversations that I've had with people...

Do you use TSR secretly? I mean... do you avoid talking about using TSR with your friends and family? What makes you hide the fact you come on TSR? Is it embarrassment because you think it's a bit geeky, or is it that you're worried people will go looking for you and see all your crazy opinions? Are there other reasons?

:holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My parent's don't know I use it.

To be fair, TSR nowdays is filled with threads about relationships etc, which I have no problem with, however if my parents saw the homepage, they would wonder what I get up to when I use TSR.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I talk about it plenty. Friends know I'm involved in the MHoC here and I sometimes allude to debates I've had here. At work I introduced a colleague to it (who has now been banned :lol:) and we laugh at some of the threads and so on.

If I don't talk about it with some people, it's because it is difficult to when they don't know what it is or why I'd want to spend my time on it.

ReputationRep:
    i love this thread, that questions been on my mind too :P
    Dont give a shoot if i sounds sad, but yeah,I bang on about it to my friends and my fam (especially mum & aunty) as i post my whole life story on this(not literally) and iv always got questions with regards to college based topics/health/future and also when i make silly mistakes like delete all my work on my memory stick etc etc.TSR is always my answer to thse lil hassle, so of course i'l be telling others about it and how its helped me sort my shizz out!

a few of my friends use it to, they post things on threads ,details that i know about so i KNOW its them but i dont think theirs any point mentioning that i know that theyr joined to this.if that made any sense :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    My parent's don't know I use it.

To be fair, TSR nowdays is filled with threads about relationships etc, which I have no problem with, however if my parents saw the homepage, they would wonder what I get up to when I use TSR.
    Why the hell would you tell your parents anything regarding what you've been up to on the Internet anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The Batman)
    Why the hell would you tell your parents anything regarding what you've been up to on the Internet anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I mean it in the sense that if they walk into the room and ask me what I've been looking at.... not me telling them, but rather them asking me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hide it!
    No one I know uses it (to my knowledge..), but my parents know that I use it and it's also come up in conversation with my friends. I don't really care what they think about me coming on here though, so I have no reason to hide it. It's not like I'm posting stuff on here that's going to reveal some weird part of my personality that my friends/family don't see themselves, so even if they did find me on here (which isn't very likely) it wouldn't matter to me 😆
    I think TSR's quite useful sometimes in terms of asking questions/finding out about stuff, so I wouldn't hesitate to tell people that I come on here, especially if they didn't already know what it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't 'hide' it per se, I haven't said to anyone :sub:

ReputationRep:
    I keep pretty much my entire 'Internet life' separate to my 'offline life', so yeah, I hide my TSR use. My boyfriend knows I go on here - we live together and our computers are in the same room, so it'd be hard for him not to notice - but he has no interest in joining and I don't even think he knows what my username is. None of my friends IRL know I go on here as far as I'm aware, and I also generally don't talk about the other websites I use a lot (e.g. Livejournal communities, Reddit, other forums) - or if I do, I only talk about them in vague terms and never say what my username is or anything specific. Don't know why, I've just always been like that.

ReputationRep:
    yes I'm ashamed

ReputationRep:
    No don't hide it. Definitely not embarrassed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go out of my way to tell anyone, but my friends all know (and my sister) and they tease me about it haha however three of my friends have accounts now and stalk me from time to time (so won't be surprised if they see this post )

ReputationRep:
    I am not ashamed of using TSR - I'd just rather not let people know in case they find me on here. I don't think I say anything bad... but I'd prefer to be as open as possible and speak without wondering what would happen should a close friend/colleague read all my posts.

Due to a job change, I am now reviewing my online activity (facebook, forums etc). As far as facebook goes, I am pretty annoyed that they now allow people to search for others by name... as my name goes out on letters and such, I would have preferred them not to be able to do this.

As far as forums go, I just try and make sure that people cannot work out who I am. This is a little bit of an issue with TSR due to my username and previous posts - I have had one person identify me so far. The only issue is that I quite like my current username .

I don't talk about it because there's nothing particularly special about it that would warrant singling it out and that applies to pretty much every other website. I may use it to discuss a topic in general with others, like I would with something I find on, say, Reddit.

And plenty of people have seen me use it in a lecture/seminar or library. I have also found quite a few classmates on it. One friend did take an interest in it (the Law and Gaming forums in particular) after seeing me browsing and signed up. He started one legitimate thread and then started trolling pretty much immediately. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't hide it but it's not something I would shout about simply because it's somewhere I can ask a questions that I wouldn't ask friends/family

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I don't hide it, but I don't tell people my username. I like being able to post relatively freely. Also, I don't want friends stalking my posts. I mean I dont write anything particularly offensive or weird, but even so, I don't like the idea.

Great thread btw.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I'm a closet geek. I try to hide that I go on TSR, play video games, and that I have an opinion on politics and things. Stuff that you talk about on TSR would kill 9/10 conversations out there! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    lol I use it openly in Sixth Form...I've even gotten a few people to use it xD

ReputationRep:
    It never comes up in conversation so I never need to hide it or show it

ReputationRep:
    i actively try and recruit new members to tsr

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.