Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Watched it yesterday and although it wasn't brilliant, it was much better than I'd expected. I thought Max Irons and Jake Abel were great, but the lack of character development and quite a few missing plot lines annoyed me.

Has anyone else seen it yet? What did you think?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen it and have no intention to, and given the figures for it's opening week, seems I'm not the only one. Guess people have finally had enough of Myer and her "one-girl-two-guys" plot points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Haven't seen it and have no intention to, and given the figures for it's opening week, seems I'm not the only one. Guess people have finally had enough of Myer and her "one-girl-two-guys" plot points.
    It's such a shame that it was released after the Twilight films, because it's completely different, and much better.
    It doesn't even follow the romantic element of Twilight. There are two people living inside one body, each is in love with a different person. The romantic story centres around how they deal with this and what they do, even raising some questions about the ethics of this.
    The romance isn't even a big part of the plot, and it'd be nice if you at least knew what you were talking about before you criticise something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alix23)
    It's such a shame that it was released after the Twilight films, because it's completely different, and much better.
    It doesn't even follow the romantic element of Twilight. There are two people living inside one body, each is in love with a different person. The romantic story centres around how they deal with this and what they do, even raising some questions about the ethics of this.
    The romance isn't even a big part of the plot, and it'd be nice if you at least knew what you were talking about before you criticise something like this.
    I struggled through part of the book, gave up when it was apparent it was not going to be "my" kind of book, and so read the plot online. I'm well aware what it entails.

Being torn between two boys, and having something in your body drawing you to the other - yeah, Twilight didn't involve that at all. Except for the whole imprinting thing. Woops.

ReputationRep:
    I was severely disappointed. I thought the acting was great..and some of the CGI was quite beautiful...but the fact it was running along side such a weak storyline and poor writing meant I found a lot of it awkward to watch. I started falling asleep at one point...and I have NEVER done that before.

I feel like it had so much potential, and the trailer really sold it for me. But most of the time I felt like I was having a wound cleaned...I wanted to watch..but it was just too painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    I struggled through part of the book, gave up when it was apparent it was not going to be "my" kind of book, and so read the plot online. I'm well aware what it entails.

Being torn between two boys, and having something in your body drawing you to the other - yeah, Twilight didn't involve that at all. Except for the whole imprinting thing. Woops.
    You seem well in the know of the Meyer books considering you're so contemptuous of them... I hope you aren't one of those girls who loved Twilight before the film was released and then when everyone else started to love it became so 'over it' but still watched every one of her movies?

OP. I don't fancy watching it. I quite enjoyed the book and don't want to ruin it..the casting is awful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    You seem well in the know of the Meyer books considering you're so contemptuous of them... I hope you aren't one of those girls who loved Twilight before the film was released and then when everyone else started to love it became so 'over it' but still watched every one of her movies?

OP. I don't fancy watching it. I quite enjoyed the book and don't want to ruin it..the casting is awful!
    Most certainly not. I got pretty much the whole saga for Christmas one year and that was that. I'm glad I've had the experience of reading the books though, even if I didn't particularly enjoy them. I wouldn't buy them for myself though, knowing what they're like.

Although Michael Sheen in the Twilight movies (and I've seen most of them, bar Eclipse) was absoluteley hysterical. That squee has become legend.

ReputationRep:

I thought the casting was the best bit! Jake and Max played Ian and Jared exceptionally well, and I think Saoirse played the two characters as well as is possible.
    But overall it wasn't great, and that was mostly due to what felt like a poor translation from book to film. If you loved the book like I did, I suggest you leave it at that and avoid the film. But did you know there's another 2 books coming out soon? I think they've just been tagged on now that The Host has some publicity.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds awkwardly like me... In my defense, I was really into the books when I was around 11 and I went to see the films with my friends as a joke. Also the books are bad, the films are really terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I read the book after I read the severely disappointing Twilight Saga (I hate it with a passion) and was pleasantly surprised as it seemed that Stephanie Meyer could uphold an OK storyline, even though it occasionally got a bit slow. Now, as for the film, the acting was really good but it wasn't really a good storyline to be turned into a film. The whole two minds thing was peculiar on screen but the acting really made up for the rest of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kgooding)
    I read the book after I read the severely disappointing Twilight Saga (I hate it with a passion) and was pleasantly surprised as it seemed that Stephanie Meyer could uphold an OK storyline, even though it occasionally got a bit slow. Now, as for the film, the acting was really good but it wasn't really a good storyline to be turned into a film. The whole two minds thing was peculiar on screen but the acting really made up for the rest of it
    I adore the book (stayed up until 4 to finish it again last week) but have similar feelings about the film After listening to Stephanie talk about it a lot, I've got the impression she's kind of embarassed about Twilight now, and so she should be!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen it yet but really want to. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so hopefully the film is just as good.

ReputationRep:
    watched it with the gf, I thought it was pretty good tbh despite it seeming to have got such critical reviews. I preferred it to twilight but then that might be because I prefer sci-fi.

Only thing I'd say is although I get there's romance, since the film was constrained for time maybe less kissing scenes more fleshing out the story, by the sounds of it the relationships between characters is deeper in the book, where as here they seem too lustful to be so serious IMO. Might also be because the film can't portray a longer time passing in the book?

Finally (Spoiler in white writing) the bit where the alien Wanderer explains you basically get the aliens to come out by being nice and loving was horribly cheesy. My gf said in the book it wasn't like that though? She actually showed them something where you put a finger inside the neck wound and touch a tentacle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    watched it with the gf, I thought it was pretty good tbh despite it seeming to have got such critical reviews. I preferred it to twilight but then that might be because I prefer sci-fi.

Only thing I'd say is although I get there's romance, since the film was constrained for time maybe less kissing scenes more fleshing out the story, by the sounds of it the relationships between characters is deeper in the book, where as here they seem too lustful to be so serious IMO. Might also be because the film can't portray a longer time passing in the book?

Finally (Spoiler in white writing) the bit where the alien Wanderer explains you basically get the aliens to come out by being nice and loving was horribly cheesy. My gf said in the book it wasn't like that though? She actually showed them something where you put a finger inside the neck wound and touch a tentacle?
    Completely agree with you there, the main problem seemed to be the lack of time put into the plot.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In the book, it was much more technical but I guess that would have been hard to show. The point was the same; that you had to be gentle to get them out. Still, it seemed weird that they would have just come out themselves if the humans had left them for long enough rather than cutting them up straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with you there, the main problem seemed to be the lack of time put into the plot.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In the book, it was much more technical but I guess that would have been hard to show. The point was the same; that you had to be gentle to get them out. Still, it seemed weird that they would have just come out themselves if the humans had left them for long enough rather than cutting them up straight away.
    Spoiler:
    Show

what happened in the book then? Was it to do with touching something within the neck wound, like one of their tentacles, to get them to come out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Spoiler:
    Show

what happened in the book then? Was it to do with touching something within the neck wound, like one of their tentacles, to get them to come out?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it had to be a much bigger wound, and then they felt down the connections between the soul and the vertebrae or something and then gently pressed on the right one. It was complicated and hard to picture.

Read the book, it was great!

ReputationRep:
    I adore the book (stayed up until 4 to finish it again last week) but have similar feelings about the film After listening to Stephanie talk about it a lot, I've got the impression she's kind of embarassed about Twilight now, and so she should be!
    I think everyone involved in the Twilight films is embarrassed as well! The first one was absolutely dreadful and I literally stopped after that. Also, the fanfiction that has been written about the Twilight books are actually better than the books themselves (by the way, I'm not talking about the 50 shades things, I never read that)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.