Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a English Lit exam in the summer and I am doing higher paper which I haven't done once in my life and I am not sure on how to answer it and btw I got a C last year in my Foundation paper and I am aiming for a higher grade.

Below there is a past exam question from last year which I will be doing and I am not sure how to answer it. Please help me answer this or how would you answer it?

Read the extract and then answer with close reference to the extract, show how J.B. Priestley creates mood and atmospherefor an audience here. and also answer

Give advice to the actor playing Eric on how he should present the character to anaudience. In your advice, you should include detailed reference to the play’s events,characters, and themes. Or,

Inspector Goole says, “We are responsible for each other.” How does J.B. Priestleypresent this idea to an audience in An Inspector Calls?

Mrs Birling - If you think you can bring any pressure to bear upon me, Inspector, you’re quitemistaken. Unlike the other three, I did nothing I’m ashamed of or that won’t bearinvestigation. The girl asked for assistance. We were asked to look carefully into theclaims made upon us. I wasn’t satisfied with the girl’s claim – she seemed to me to benot a good case – and so I used my influence to have it refused. And in spite of what’shappened to the girl since, I consider I did my duty. So if I prefer not to discuss it anyfurther, you have no power to make me change my mind.

Inspector - Yes I have.

Mrs Birling - No you haven’t. Simply because I’ve done nothing wrong – and you know it.

Inspector - (very deliberately) I think you did something terribly wrong – and that you’re goingto spend the rest of your life regretting it. I wish you’d been with me tonight in theInfirmary. You’d have seen –

Sheila - (bursting in) No, no, please! Not that again. I’ve imagined it enough already.

Inspector - (very deliberately) Then the next time you imagine it, just remember that this girlwas going to have a child.

Sheila - (horrified) No! Oh – horrible – horrible! How could she have wanted to kill herself?

Inspector - Because she’d been turned out and turned down too many times. This was the end.

Sheila - Mother, you must have known.

Inspector - It was because she was going to have a child that she went for assistance to yourmother’s committee.

Birling - Look here, this wasn’t Gerald Croft –

Inspector - (cutting in, sharply) No, no. Nothing to do with him.

Sheila - Thank goodness for that! Though I don’t know why I should care now.

Inspector - (to Mrs Birling) And you’ve nothing further to tell me, eh?

Mrs Birling - I’ll tell you what I told her. Go and look for the father of the child. It’s his responsibility.

Inspector - That doesn’t make it any the less yours. She came to you for help, at a time whenno woman could have needed it more. And you not only refused it yourself but sawto it that the others refused it too. She was here alone, friendless, almost penniless,desperate. She needed not only money but advice, sympathy, friendliness. You’vehad children. You must have known what she was feeling. And you slammed thedoor in her face.

Sheila - (with feeling) Mother, I think it was cruel and vile.

Birling - (dubiously) I must say, Sybil, that when this comes out at the inquest, it isn’t going todo us much good. The Press might easily take it up –

Mrs Birling - (agitated now) Oh, stop it, both of you. And please remember before you start accusingme of anything again that it wasn’t I who had her turned out of her employment –which probably began it all.
    (Turning to Inspector.) In the circumstances I think I was justified. The girl hadbegan by telling us a pack of lies. Afterwards, when I got at the truth, I discoveredthat she knew who the father was, she was quite certain about that, and so I told herit was her business to make him responsible. If he refused to marry her – and in myopinion he ought to be compelled to – then he must at least support her.

Inspector - And what did she reply to that?

Mrs Birling - Oh – a lot of silly nonsense!

Inspector - What was it?

Mrs Birling - Whatever it was, I know it made me finally lose all patience with her. She was givingherself ridiculous airs. She was claiming elaborate fine feelings and scruples thatwere simply absurd in a girl in her position.

Inspector - (very sternly) Her position now is that she lies with a burnt-out inside on a slab. (AsBirling tries to protest, turns on him). Don’t stammer and yammer at me again, man.I’m losing all patience with you people. What did she say?

Mrs Birling - (rather cowed) She said that the father was only a youngster – silly and wild anddrinking too much. There couldn’t be any question of marrying him – it would bewrong for them both. He had given her money but she didn’t want to take any moremoney from him.

Inspector - Why didn’t she want to take any more money from him?

Mrs Birling - All a lot of nonsense – I didn’t believe a word of it.

ReputationRep:
    Idk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.