Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I did some voluntary work in Nigeria where I'd worked in a children's Hospital and a GP. I learned a lot but I was only there for one day. Is this worth mentioning on my PS or will it be branded as 'insufficient work experience'?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    My friend last year did one morning in a pharmacy as work experience with no volunteering. He managed to get an offer. No idea how he pulled that one off.
    On you ps you don't have to write how long it was for and I've never heard of anyone being asked at interview. So definitely! But maybe try to get some more as you still have a while yet before applying.

Good luck

(Original post by bssjonny)
    My friend last year did one morning in a pharmacy as work experience with no volunteering. He managed to get an offer. No idea how he pulled that one off.
    On you ps you don't have to write how long it was for and I've never heard of anyone being asked at interview. So definitely! But maybe try to get some more as you still have a while yet before applying.

Good luck
    Thanks

Yeah, I've done some w/e in the past (shadowing, pharmacy assistant, care home assistant etc). It was a couple years ago so I'm not sure if it's still worth mentioning. I currently work as a healthcare assistant which I hear helps a bit. I might do a bit more voluntary work though, not sure

ReputationRep:
    For medicine, it really depends on where you apply. Some universities want prolonged work experience and volunteering and will require you to give evidence of this. However, you are in luck because many universities don't expect applicants to get work experience as it really depends on how many good contacts you have.

More importantly, work experience/volunteering is only helpful if you can successfully talk about what you gained from those experiences. There'll be people out there who have every work placement under the sun but can't successfully string a sentence together on what they learnt about themselves/medicine. I only did three days of work experience in a hospital (no where near as interesting as your work experience), and I got 4 interviews. So don't worry about it.

But just make sure to read the university's admissions policies. Apply to your strengths.

(Original post by awilson008)
    For medicine, it really depends on where you apply. Some universities want prolonged work experience and volunteering and will require you to give evidence of this. However, you are in luck because many universities don't expect applicants to get work experience as it really depends on how many good contacts you have.

More importantly, work experience/volunteering is only helpful if you can successfully talk about what you gained from those experiences. There'll be people out there who have every work placement under the sun but can't successfully string a sentence together on what they learnt about themselves/medicine. I only did three days of work experience in a hospital (no where near as interesting as your work experience), and I got 4 interviews. So don't worry about it.

But just make sure to read the university's admissions policies. Apply to your strengths.
    Yeah thank goodness, most of my work experience is voluntary so I don't have any evidence. I do work as a HCA so that's the only piece of evidence I have :/

Well done with your interviews, I'm applying for graduate medicine in Oct, tips for the UKCAT (I have to score really high)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Yeah thank goodness, most of my work experience is voluntary so I don't have any evidence. I do work as a HCA so that's the only piece of evidence I have :/

Well done with your interviews, I'm applying for graduate medicine in Oct, tips for the UKCAT (I have to score really high)?
    Work as an HCA would probably prepare someone for life as a doctor much better than someone who observed cardiac surgery for 6 weeks, so don't put yourself down, that counts as invaluable life experience

For the UKCAT, many people say that you can't prepare. That's the wrong attitude to take and many of these people get bad scores.
    Obviously you can't learn off answers but familiarise yourself with the type and difficult of questions out there. Use the 600Q book (or any other book) and pile your way through that. A few days before the exam go on to the UKCAT website and do the practice papers to familiarise yourself with the user interface. The calculator you use can be a big pain in the arse if you've never used it before. One of the most important aspects of the test is timing. The timing is brutal and it's impossible to get all of the questions done, so make sure to prepare a strategy that suits you so you can get as many right as possible. Remember, it's much better to get less questions done and get them right, than get them all done and all wrong. I for one only got a quarter of the QR section done but ended up with a score of 720 in it.

So there you go, it's a scary test but if you are focused on the day (this is important) you will end up with a good score. Remember all you're doing is trying to beat everyone else, so if you do more quality prep, then this will be a certainty

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.