Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a silly reason to get counselling? watch

I've been suffering from depression for about 2 years now. My GP has prescribed me anti-depressants and she keeps asking me to see a counselor, but I haven't been yet because I think I would be wasting their time.

I have a lot of family problems which may have set off my depression, but I think the main reason is that I've been in love with a guy for 3 years who doesn't love me back. I'm 21 and never been in a proper relationship, because I feel like I cannot commit to anyone else because I have such strong feelings for this guy.

We went out very briefly 3 years ago but it went very badly wrong. I've tried everything to get over him. I cut all contact with him. I've picked up new hobbies. I eat healthy and have tried improving everything I didn't like about myself. I've even been on dates with other guys, but nothing seems to work.I know I need to move on because we're not right for each other, but I just can't seem to let go. It's driving me crazy.

I really wish I could talk to someone about it, but I can't because none of my friends know that I still love him. I can't tell them because some of my friends are also friends with him. I wouldn't want him to find out because he has a girlfriend and I don't want to affect their relationship in any way.

I don't know if this issue is significant enough to speak to a counselor. I don't want to come across as pathetic and whiny! If I choose not to speak to a counselor, could you guys advise me on anything else I could do to try and move on?

ReputationRep:
    Counselling is a great option and I would say to do it!.. I know I would if I was offered it. Counsellors hear a lot from people across all cultures, their main aim is to alleviate and help to combat your stresses and improve your quality of life as a result.

I too suffer with depression and bipolar/personality disorder but haven't been offered counselling due to my involved with PCT mental health services. I would certainly jump at the opportunity if I was. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is EXACTLY the sort of thing counselling is for. Its what counsellors are trained for. Try it!!

ReputationRep:
    If something's bothering you so much then it's not silly at all.

If you've tried so many other things and they haven't worked then you really have nothing at all to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for it. There are no limits to what you can talk about in counselling. I would say its ideal for this!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, go the the counselor.

I'm not gonna lie, it's hard opening up at first and I found it a very scary experience. I didn't want to go; I was forced by my housemates, but it was the best thing they could have done for me. If you don't feel comfortable saying it, then write it down for them. But really, you can say anything to them no matter how silly and minor it might seem to you, without the fear of being judged by them. They are there to listen and help you, not ridicule your problems. If something is bothering you that much, then it isn't silly at all! You just have to force yourself to be very honest and open with them.

This is coming from someone who has been there, done that, got the badge

Whatever you decide OP, you won't always feel like this and things do get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been suffering from depression for about 2 years now. My GP has prescribed me anti-depressants and she keeps asking me to see a counselor, but I haven't been yet because I think I would be wasting their time.

I have a lot of family problems which may have set off my depression, but I think the main reason is that I've been in love with a guy for 3 years who doesn't love me back. I'm 21 and never been in a proper relationship, because I feel like I cannot commit to anyone else because I have such strong feelings for this guy.

We went out very briefly 3 years ago but it went very badly wrong. I've tried everything to get over him. I cut all contact with him. I've picked up new hobbies. I eat healthy and have tried improving everything I didn't like about myself. I've even been on dates with other guys, but nothing seems to work.I know I need to move on because we're not right for each other, but I just can't seem to let go. It's driving me crazy.

I really wish I could talk to someone about it, but I can't because none of my friends know that I still love him. I can't tell them because some of my friends are also friends with him. I wouldn't want him to find out because he has a girlfriend and I don't want to affect their relationship in any way.

I don't know if this issue is significant enough to speak to a counselor. I don't want to come across as pathetic and whiny! If I choose not to speak to a counselor, could you guys advise me on anything else I could do to try and move on?
    I know very little about depression and counselling- but surely the purpose of counselling is to try to give individuals an outlet for things in their lives which are getting them down?

We're all different- whilst what's happened to you may be trivial to someone else, the fact that it has had an impact on your life- is all that matters. That said, I don't actually think your reason is trivial- it's holding you back when you've tried virtually everything else so I would urge you to go for it! Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really a silly reason to get counselling. If you're having a problem and you think that discussing it with someone will help you figure out what's going on and how to fix it... then that's a counselling! Our friends counsel us all the time, we just don't call it that and obviously they aren't trained in it. It'll be a good chance to get an outside perspective on your situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.