Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a new member of The Student Room. I am a EU student and got offers from the University of Stirling and Oxford Brookes.
    I would love to go to Oxford but according to the homepage the total annual expenditure based on 9.5 months is £9,462.
    The University of Stirling, on the other hand, talks about estimated annual living costs of £5.000.
    Could anyone who is studying or who has studied at Oxford Brookes please tell me if living in Oxford is really that expensive or if there are less expensive alternatives? How much money do you earn in a part time job?
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    My cousin went to Brookes and costing was ridiculous. Rent was £500 a month in her second and third years - per person in a 4 bedroomed house. It's a very nice area to live but expensive because of it's links with London.
    Part time jobs help but because of studying it barely made a difference.

I'd look into the cost of Sterling if I was you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, iv accepted Oxford Brooke's as my firm and now all I need to do is book my accommodation, due to the fact I'm a rowing iv been told to get accommodation at Headington campus? .. Does anyone know the prices? Or the best places for accommodation there? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also excepted Brookes as my firm and was wondering if any current students would post pictures of accommodation and recommend the best halls Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alicewharmby)
    Hi, iv accepted Oxford Brooke's as my firm and now all I need to do is book my accommodation, due to the fact I'm a rowing iv been told to get accommodation at Headington campus? .. Does anyone know the prices? Or the best places for accommodation there? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I had an interview with a Brookes professor and she told me to get a room in Clive Booth. According to her, that's her students' favourite accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    My cousin went to Brookes and costing was ridiculous. Rent was £500 a month in her second and third years - per person in a 4 bedroomed house. It's a very nice area to live but expensive because of it's links with London.
    Part time jobs help but because of studying it barely made a difference.

I'd look into the cost of Sterling if I was you.
    Thanks for your advice! So the annual expenditure of about £9,462 is realistic? I was hoping they were exaggerating ...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is expensive but it is doable. I am on full student finance grants and bursary and I lived in crescent without a job. I was a member of a society and went out weekly. It's about being able to manage a budget effectively. Student lifestyle is known for being poor. Say goodbye to Heinz and hello own brand. One thing that people did when I was a fresher was apply for Cheney and Clive booth ensuite and had to move out because they realised they couldn't afford the rent. Be sensible in your choices. I lived in crescent and it was great. Made friends with everyone in my building as well as friends in other halls because of my course. I also got my 4th choice of halls as a firm student. Don't think you are guaranteed a place in your first two or three choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottay!)
    Oxford is expensive but it is doable. I am on full student finance grants and bursary and I lived in crescent without a job. I was a member of a society and went out weekly. It's about being able to manage a budget effectively. Student lifestyle is known for being poor. Say goodbye to Heinz and hello own brand. One thing that people did when I was a fresher was apply for Cheney and Clive booth ensuite and had to move out because they realised they couldn't afford the rent. Be sensible in your choices. I lived in crescent and it was great. Made friends with everyone in my building as well as friends in other halls because of my course. I also got my 4th choice of halls as a firm student. Don't think you are guaranteed a place in your first two or three choices
    Thank you! Could you please tell me what amount of money did you spend per month?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.