Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I've been single all my life and as a 19 year old fresher I don't really want a boyfriend. I'm enjoying the single life a hell of a lot and occasionally I hook up. The guys I hook up with I already know pretty well, we don't share feelings for one another and it's all just a bit of fun but I'm starting to not want to hook up with multiple people now. I keep thinking about maybe finding a FWB/Buddy. I've been talking to a guy in my area who wants the same thing.

Is this a risky move ? Has anyone experienced any problems with this kind of deal ?

Without sounding emotionally unattached, I don't tend to form feelings for guys easily (sex or no sex) unless their was something about them. I don't think I'd fall into the trap of falling for them.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll find it difficult to find willing partners at uni if all you want is sex.
    I think you'll struggle with it emotionally though, and you may be labelled a slut or similar when you bed someone who wants more, but you shun.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with what you're doing now, is that getting with guys you know pretty well, will lead to getting a 'bike' label if you're getting with your friends.

In terms of the FWB thing just go for it. Just be aware that it probably will not end well, although there is a chance.
    I've never known a successful FWB story, someone is bound to grow attachment. May not be you, could be him but it's bound to happen eventually.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think the real danger with FWB's is that feelings can change during the arrangement and someone usually gets hurt in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I think the real danger with FWB's is that feelings can change during the arrangement and someone usually gets hurt in the end.
    This, having a fwb isnt risky

ReputationRep:
    The only risk is that feelings might develop somewhat under the radar and then your FWB finds someone else/ends the arrangement and blam! It hits you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as other people said beforehand, the main issue here is the fact that one of you may develops feelings for each other and all hell breaks loose

ReputationRep:
    well there is absolutely no evidence on tsr to suggest it ending badly.............oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two FWB before. The first time, it lasted three months and no feelings ensued. The way we managed to do that was to have a clear end date. It was a means to an end, and neither of us had time to get attached because we had already decided that it was over. The second time, it lasted a little over a month before we fell in love and are now in what we are guessing is a permanent relationship. I wouldn't condemn FWB, as it worked out both times for me (when we ****ed up and feelings started, they were from both ends), but I hear that doesn't happen very often.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by canadamoose)
    I've had two FWB before. The first time, it lasted three months and no feelings ensued. The way we managed to do that was to have a clear end date. It was a means to an end, and neither of us had time to get attached because we had already decided that it was over. The second time, it lasted a little over a month before we fell in love and are now in what we are guessing is a permanent relationship. I wouldn't condemn FWB, as it worked out both times for me (when we ****ed up and feelings started, they were from both ends), but I hear that doesn't happen very often.
    Indeed usually it's just one person who gets feelings.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.