Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What violin grade is achievable in 6 months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this goal setting thing to see if it will do anything to my productivity, and one thing that I want to do is take up the violin once my last exams are over this year. I will start in july, maybe sooner, so there will be about 6 months until the end of the year. On average, with one lesson per week and regular practicing, what is an achievable grade? Considering that at the moment I know nothng and can't yet read sheet music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2 maybe 3? depends how much you practice.
    Seeing as you cant read sheet music, I'd say 2.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, I'll go for 3 then, I like a challenge, hehe. I am also learning sheet music ow, so hopefully I will know it before july.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did grade 5 after a year. But that time i was a also doing grade 8 for both piano and my theory. So i say it depends on your current knowledge and whether you have the ear for pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With instruments, it helps if you've played something before! Have you ever played anything before? Like in music class at school, or recorder?

ReputationRep:
    I used to play the piano when I was little but had to quit due to the expence of the lessons, I also played the guitar but really didn't enjoy it. I found it no fun to play at all, possibly because I didn't particularily like any music for the guitar. I liked music that included a guitar, but not because of the guitar, if you know what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by progmaticOx)
    I used to play the piano when I was little but had to quit due to the expence of the lessons, I also played the guitar but really didn't enjoy it. I found it no fun to play at all, possibly because I didn't particularily like any music for the guitar. I liked music that included a guitar, but not because of the guitar, if you know what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im thinking of going back for music lessons after a2 as well. Maybe go for piano, viola and guitar. Not for the grades though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeansnkmk)
    Im thinking of going back for music lessons after a2 as well. Maybe go for piano, viola and guitar. Not for the grades though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was thinking of not doing grades as it might suck some of the fun out of playing the intrument, but I figured that it would be a good way of gauging my progress and it gives me things to aim for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In 6 months, I would say probably grade 2 at the most if you turned out to be a natural on the violin.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It took me a year to get grade 2 on the violin, and this was with weekly lessons and 6 years of experience playing the piano (so I knew how to read music etc.) However, I am not a natural musician whatsoever so you might be a bit speedier than me!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.