Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    do you book accomodation in advance or turn up to hostels in hope of a place? whats the best way of going about it?

I was thinking book accommodation for the first week and from there on book as you go.. a few days ahead at a time but then my concern is where do you book it, internet cafes? are they safe enough to put in your bank and card details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpxvs)
    do you book accomodation in advance or turn up to hostels in hope of a place? whats the best way of going about it?

I was thinking book accommodation for the first week and from there on book as you go.. a few days ahead at a time but then my concern is where do you book it, internet cafes? are they safe enough to put in your bank and card details?
    Predetermine a couchsurfing (check the site/google it) set of friends who will host you, discuss it with the community there

Sorry to direct away from here, but it is a community which I think can really help you.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you watch the film 'Wolf Creek' before you decide to go backpacking, and hopefully that will change your mind. I personally have never been outside the UK but from what you read and see on the news I can only imagine that most countries have people waiting who prey on tourists.
    You don't say where you are going but if you do decide against reason to go backpacking then i would advise being in a group of male friends as native people from other countries might prey on girls.

ReputationRep:
    I usually just made sure I had a bed for the night in the next city/ town I was going to... although this will depend where you are going and if it is high season.

Where are you travelling to? How long are you going for?

If you are in 1 country for say a month you can usually get a really good cheap sim card that includes mobile data and just book on your phone, if not 99% of hostels have WiFi.

Oh and internet cafes are pretty rare in most places now.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned before couchsurfing is a top community very helpful for the backpackers who don't have specific plans.

ReputationRep:
    Don't book it all before you go, you can't be flexible then if you find a place you love and want to stay longer or a place you hate and want to leave. When I backpacked I did a mixture of using hostel computers to book beds a few days in advance or sometimes just turned up. If it's a 'peak time' like a weekend or a public holiday in the country you're in be sure to book in advance though!

ReputationRep:
    Booking in advance is not particularly something I'd do, so instead I'd just float around looking for somewhere upon arrival.

If you are flying somehwere specific and staying the for a few days then booking some form of accommodation there in advance could make life a little easier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.