Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't communicate with girls properly Watch

From year 7 to now (year 12) I have attended an all boys' school. This deprivation of the presence of females has had a really negative effect on me. I can't talk to girls smoothly or casually; I don't know what to talk about or how to progress a conversation without creating awkwardness. I get pretty shy around girls and become quiet, and kind of arrogant in a sense.

Back in primary school I used to get on really well with girls and I was always funny and confident around them, I was pretty popular amongst them, actually. But now, I've lost that talent and I don't know how to conversate and communicate with girls properly.

Because I've never really been around girls my age for the past 6 years, they seem like alien/demi-god-like creatures to me. I look at them as they're not human (really weird, I know). BUT, I really want to improve my social skills with girls because I'm generally a funny person who can get on with other people well, and I have a nice personality (at least I think I do!)

Has anybody got any advice or tips for me on how to tackle this? Has anybody had a similar experience? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    From year 7 to now (year 12) I have attended an all boys' school. This deprivation of the presence of females has had a really negative effect on me. I can't talk to girls smoothly or casually; I don't know what to talk about or how to progress a conversation without creating awkwardness. I get pretty shy around girls and become quiet, and kind of arrogant in a sense.

Back in primary school I used to get on really well with girls and I was always funny and confident around them, I was pretty popular amongst them, actually. But now, I've lost that talent and I don't know how to conversate and communicate with girls properly.

Because I've never really been around girls my age for the past 6 years, they seem like alien/demi-god-like creatures to me. I look at them as they're not human (really weird, I know). BUT, I really want to improve my social skills with girls because I'm generally a funny person who can get on with other people well, and I have a nice personality (at least I think I do!)

Has anybody got any advice or tips for me on how to tackle this? Has anybody had a similar experience? Thanks in advance!
    Hi mate honestly although this may sound weird treat them as male friends, many guys see girls as some type of alien race when there really not. As you say your just lacking confidence, as you start talking more to girls that confidence will re appear. Try talking to girls as part of a group you should find it a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    Just be thankful that you aren't in the same situation but having been to a multi-sex school...

ReputationRep:
    I went to an all girls school for secondary so sixth form was a massive change.

I just find that talking to everyone as if they were really close friends- regardless of sex helped. It made me more comfortable.

I find approaching guys (or anyone) hard (but I think that's to do with my classes/ who I'm friends with), but I've gotten so use to holding a convo with them I don't notice that anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that feel mate , Im pretty much in the exact same situation as you . Currently in a huge mixed college , went to a boys school . I struggle talking about things that lack depth or substance ( which is unfortunately what the majority of conversations are like ) , Im quite the awkward guy . I tend to ask generic things like "so how was your weekend ? " then she gives me a reply etc but I struggle with the general "banter" that makes people likeable and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It's the ongoing Orcish-Common problem. If you want a blood elf girl then you have to undergo the fatigue of supporting your dream by learning Orcish language, it's very simple. If you play horde and want an ally girl then the same applies but I can get you started:

to tell a joke you write k e k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrcFromOgrimmar)
    It's the ongoing Orcish-Common problem. If you want a blood elf girl then you have to undergo the fatigue of supporting your dream by learning Orcish language, it's very simple. If you play horde and want an ally girl then the same applies but I can get you started:

to tell a joke you write k e k
    Mate do you have no life ? All your posts are about wow . Rather than leading threads of topic why don't you just go play it.

ReputationRep:
    haha you're like the male version of me spending years completely separated from guys made me a bit uncertain about how to communicate with them as well. i guess i just try to treat them as if they were any of my female friends, although sometimes there is the issue of having nothing in common. it helps if you put yourself in a situation where you have to talk to them, it makes you deal with the issue head on. i went from a private girls school where i had little interaction with guys to uni where i live with 6 guys and half of my year is made up of guys, it's sort of helped. the more you think there is an issue talking to girls the more of an issue it will become.

I'm in the same situation but I'm a girl. It used to bother me a lot that I couldn't talk to guys properly but then I just thought, who cares? I mean, there are way worse things that could happen to me than not talking to a few guys. I talk to girls a lot more, I hang around with them and when I'm at home I just do my own thing and I'm perfectly happy. I just don't feel like I HAVE to talk to guys anymore, if they talk, fair enough but if they don't, I'm not going to be bothered about it.

ReputationRep:
    OP get sauced. You'll talk to anyone after you've had a few. It's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Kek.
    All my rep for you.
    Holy ****.
    He's committed, I'll give him that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWTGBT07)
    cool story bro
    Not gonna get mad.....
    This is why I left TSR for 4chan. At least on there all the neckbeards such as yourself stay in their holes on /b/ and /mlp/ or whatever. On here they're everywhere. Plus if you had pulled that **** on there you would have been doxed before you could count how many times you were called a ****** for your ****posting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Not gonna get mad.....
    This is why I left TSR for 4chan. At least on there all the neckbeards such as yourself stay in their holes on /b/ and /mlp/ or whatever. On here they're everywhere. Plus if you had pulled that **** on there you would have been doxed before you could count how many times you were called a ****** for your ****posting.
    cool story bro

ReputationRep:
    Think about it this way: Were not a different species.

1.Just treat us like guys but with a little bit more respect. Some guys can pull it being rude/sexual but most can't then it becomes awkward. So, don't talk about tits/****ing as it's not gonna end well unless you're drunk or pretty good friends with the girl.

2. Just chill, seriously, nothing worse than a guy who tenses up and acts all weird. There's twins at my school and they've never really spoke to girls before. They act like they're talking to the head or someones grandmother!

3. What do you enjoy? I'm sure you can spark up a conversation about Harry Potter or Bastille. Sometimes I prefer talking to guys as I usually find them less *****y and they give good cuddles.

I wanted to give advice and not just be like 'act yourself'. I know I haven't been much help but i'm sure you'll be fine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.