Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Which country is the best in the world? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which country is the best in the world?
    Britain
    15.04%
    Britain
    2.26%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    6.02%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    8.27%
    Britain
    9.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    9.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    4.51%
    Britain
    4.51%
    Britain
    2.26%
    Britain
    6.02%

ReputationRep:
    Guadeloupe looks a nice place to live, (where death in paradise is set)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filigold)
    Spain?! Wow. Over 25% unemployed and 50% of that is young people. Spain is right at the bottom. If its because of the weather there are plenty better IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't give a damn about meaingless statistics. They are still happier than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filigold)
    Spain?! Wow. Over 25% unemployed and 50% of that is young people. Spain is right at the bottom. If its because of the weather there are plenty better IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But think of the girls...

ReputationRep:
    Cyprus..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    Yeah, I guess that's because Britain and British sound better than United Kingdom and United Kingdomish

Basically the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island is the sovereign state, whilst Great Britain is just the main island, so England, Scotland and Wales. It's one of those things that doesn't really matter but we've seemingly decided to be pedantic about

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Well I still think Britain can mean the UK instead of Great Britain. Plenty of people use it that way, and without any kind of authority that defines the term, it's hard to say which usage is correct or incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't we change our votes in polls? I clicked the wrong country by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    Presuming you mean their; our education must also suck
    No one likes a spelling and grammar troll.

It's not the quality of the education its the cost implications. College is a big thing in America because of the cost. Over here, we don’t really think of it as anything significant and then there is university. They have no student finance as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    Here are a few candidates: New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, UK, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Austria, Denmark, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Czech Republic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well I still think Britain can mean the UK instead of Great Britain. Plenty of people use it that way, and without any kind of authority that defines the term, it's hard to say which usage is correct or incorrect.
    Well it'll be defined by the UN or the EU or something. Technically calling the country Britain is incorrect, but nobody actually cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    Well it'll be defined by the UN or the EU or something. Technically calling the country Britain is incorrect, but nobody actually cares.
    Technically according to who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Technically according to who?
    Read my last post & you'll find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    Read my last post & you'll find out

Well if you take the country names as they are according to the UN, then calling the Russian Federation "Russia" is also technically incorrect.

Another odd thing is that the UN website lists Mexico as "Mexico", when the official name of the country is United Mexican States.

I realise countries have official names, but I don't think that necessarily means their unofficial names are incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to go to Finland but for my personal tastes, Gibraltar is the best country in the world. I ****ing love it there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Iceland is definitely the most beautiful

They have amazing hot springs -Blue Lagoon geothermal spa- and they get a brilliant view of the northern lights! Plus beautiful fjords.

Wouldn't want to live there though, just a visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    This constant self-deprecation is getting a bit annoying now. No, the UK is not a 'mid level' country. It's a highly developed, advanced, prosperous country with a rich culture and a high standard of living.

Trust me, you won't be missed.
    I'm not putting this country down unecessarily, I'm just sayinmg how it is. The UK's best days are gone. Look at our country's GDP per capita, we barely make it into the top 20 richest countries. The likes of Canada, Australia, South Korea and Germany are much more advanced and developed. British children have the worst living standards in the OECD for example. Hell even the Americans with a gigantic 320 million population, they're all better of than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    I'm not putting this country down unecessarily, I'm just sayinmg how it is. The UK's best days are gone. Look at our country's GDP per capita, we barely make it into the top 20 richest countries. The likes of Canada, Australia, South Korea and Germany are much more advanced and developed. British children have the worst living standards in the OECD for example. Hell even the Americans with a gigantic 320 million population, they're all better of than us.
    Let's look at the countries ahead of the UK in terms of GDP per capita...
    Hmm...tax haven, oil, tax haven, oil, oil, tax haven, tax haven, oil, semi-tax haven, tax haven, oil, tax haven...I see a pattern emerging.
    Just wait until we start developing our shale oil reserves and also the Falklands oil. There's also the fact that the exchange rate has collapsed in the last couple of years.
    And no, South Korea is below us on the per capita table, at least get all your facts straight before running your mouth off.
    Don't even get me started on your beloved Yanks, what's the debt-to-gdp ratio now, like 105%? The UK could easily artifically boost it's economy if we wanted to drown in debt.
    And how did you figure that about the OECD, Estonia, Chile, Spain, Turkey, Mexico etc. better living standards than the UK? HA! You tripping balls or what?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In terms of history I would say Italy. It has the heritage of ancient Rome and there are buildings and even a citiy (pompeji) which reminds the tourists and population of this era. The population of Rome was the first civilization beside the ancient Greeks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Scotland is pretty good but some of our laws are pretty crap like you can't buy alcohol after 10pm and before 10am. You also can't drink in the street too which is crap. Also you can't drink on the trains now from 9pm til 9am. I know all the laws I have mentioned are related to booze but they are they only crappy drawbacks I can think of off hand atm lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Let's look at the countries ahead of the UK in terms of GDP per capita...
    Hmm...tax haven, oil, tax haven, oil, oil, tax haven, tax haven, oil, semi-tax haven, tax haven, oil, tax haven...I see a pattern emerging.
    Just wait until we start developing our shale oil reserves and also the Falklands oil. There's also the fact that the exchange rate has collapsed in the last couple of years.
    And no, South Korea is below us on the per capita table, at least get all your facts straight before running your mouth off.
    Don't even get me started on your beloved Yanks, what's the debt-to-gdp ratio now, like 105%? The UK could easily artifically boost it's economy if we wanted to drown in debt.
    And how did you figure that about the OECD, Estonia, Chile, Spain, Turkey, Mexico etc. better living standards than the UK? HA! You tripping balls or what?
    LOL someone's butthurt Firstly with regards to living standards, I was talking about children and not Britain overall. Children are our future and yet it's often documented by various researchers, organisations like the OECD that children living in the UK suffer the worst living standards in the western world. Now I know South Korea don't have as high an income as us, I never said that. But in every other department they trump us. They have better healthcare, better education, better high speed broadband and better public services. The UK is inferior to the likes of Japan and Korea there and we're inferior to the US as a capitalist country. The healthcare that we love to boast about? It's sub standard compared to the likes of France and Japan.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why Britain isn't on the list? It is obviously the best country in the world so yeah that's my pick. What a bad poll for not inlucding britain

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.