Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Which country is the best in the world? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which country is the best in the world?
    Britain
    15.04%
    Britain
    2.26%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    6.02%
    Britain
    3.76%
    Britain
    8.27%
    Britain
    9.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    9.77%
    Britain
    6.77%
    Britain
    4.51%
    Britain
    4.51%
    Britain
    2.26%
    Britain
    6.02%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack clarke)
    Isn't a real country for several reasons

1) 'England'' doesn't have a leader, the prime minister rules the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2) You can't get an 'English' passport you get a passport for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3) there is no English army, English navy or English airforce, there is a British army British navy and British Air Force
    Britain is England.
    England is supporting the other union members on its back...

ReputationRep:
    Well it may not be the 'best' but the countries I would most like to live in would be Australia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore or New Zealand.

ReputationRep:
    why is britain the only option?

i am sorry but britian is not the best country in the world, they used to be great back in the olden days...but these days britain is at the bottom of the list and it doesnt h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Britain is England.
    England is supporting the other union members on its back...
    I don't think so, 70% of the UK's offshore oil is off the coast of SCOTLAND
    91% of the UK's fishing industry is from SCOTLAND
    More than 50% of the textile industry comes from SCOTLAND

Scotland gives more than it receives in the UK

ReputationRep:
    I love ireland ,i would say pakistan is a nice place because everything is cheap and weathers good plus wildlifw and scenary.i like the gun shooting there.i didnt like india at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You actually think North sea oil is still contributing anything meaningful to the economy?
    Seeing as we import most of the two latter things that's of no relevance.

The property in London's 10 most expensive boroughs alone is worth more than all of the property is Scotland, Wales and NI combined. I think that speaks volumes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Pretty good considering the relatively small funding it gets compared to other nations.
    you don't think it's wasteful/inefficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by other one)
    you don't think it's wasteful/inefficient?
    I used to, especially considering the amount of horror stories in the media. A while back though someone on here (TSR) basically showed me a graph comparing the NHS to other health services, then comparing their budgets, and actually the NHS does pretty well considering. That said, we shouldn't get complacent and that isn't an excuse to allow inefficiency. The NHS should not be immune from improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Three whole industries!

So does England. It's Wales and Northern Ireland that are actually the countries who are net receipients of the Union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    You actually think North sea oil is still contributing anything meaningful to the economy?
    Seeing as we import most of the two latter things that's of no relevance.

The property in London's 10 most expensive boroughs alone is worth more than all of the property is Scotland, Wales and NI combined. I think that speaks volumes.
    what about the 41,000 MoD staff that are employed in Scotland, what about the Scottish army regiments(7th Armoured Brigade etc)

scotland gives 9.9% to the UK economy and receives only 9.3% back of Westminister

ReputationRep:
    69% of the UK's computers are made in SCOTLAND
    72% of the UK's wind power is generated in SCOTLAND
    73% of the UK's tidal/wave power is generated in SCOTLAND
    44% of the UK's food industry is in SCOTLAND(sheep, lamb etc, 28% in England 17% in Wales and 10% in Northern Ireland)

Off course England is going to be the main contributor in the UK, less than 30% are Scottish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    That's just a telescoping series, seperate partial fractions, cancel middle terms, leaves the answer. I've got better things to do then calculate it.
    Enjoy the week brah.

ReputationRep:
    It is The Socktor's current location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford-Hopeful)
    I'm curious to know what you would answer to the question 'which country is the best in the world?'. The 'best' country could be defined in many ways, eg Population, sources, global influence, historical/technological significance...

Ive added a poll, however if the best country in the world in your opinion is not the, feel free to state it below.
    London*

*minus the horrible bits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I used to, especially considering the amount of horror stories in the media. A while back though someone on here (TSR) basically showed me a graph comparing the NHS to other health services, then comparing their budgets, and actually the NHS does pretty well considering. That said, we shouldn't get complacent and that isn't an excuse to allow inefficiency. The NHS should not be immune from improvement.
    thanks. have you got that graph somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    Enjoy the week brah.
    It was a welcome break, but I'm back mother****er

ReputationRep:
    I voted for the third 'Britain' from the top!

ReputationRep:
    norway

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.