Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CSM Accommodation, flatshare? Halls? Watch

ReputationRep:
    september 2013!

I am a student from Ireland I am plannning on taking my offer for Fine Art at CSM (will be in Archway and Kings Cross campuses) I looked at the halls, mainly Tufnell Park as its closest to Archway (where my first year studio will be) but I've gone off them as I'm scared it will be full of international students who won't speak to me!

Does anyone have any experience of Unite student accommodation? There are some good locations to kings cross with unite (beaumont court etc) its quite expensive but I think it might be more social?? closer to Camden?

Another option is a flatshare with other students, anyone else looking for a flatshare?
    I would love to live in camden town, kentish town areas as they are on the northern line between archway and kings cross.

thanks,
    Lucie xx.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm in the same position as you, I'm deciding between csm and Brighton and I'm thinking CSM might be the best option (bith fine art). I've heard the halls are incredibly small and over priced, I don't know about the unite accomodation, but I've always been told flat sharing is the cheapest snd bedt option. I thought I'd go into halls for the first year then figure out who I'd share a flat with. Do you know much about halls of residence? If they are full of international students it would be a bit of a downer with no one speaking English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alowro)
    Yeah I'm in the same position as you, I'm deciding between csm and Brighton and I'm thinking CSM might be the best option (bith fine art). I've heard the halls are incredibly small and over priced, I don't know about the unite accomodation, but I've always been told flat sharing is the cheapest snd bedt option. I thought I'd go into halls for the first year then figure out who I'd share a flat with. Do you know much about halls of residence? If they are full of international students it would be a bit of a downer with no one speaking English!

Hey Alowro, Yeah I was deciding between Edinburgh college of art and CSM.. Edinburgh give me a huge bursary but London is way more exciting..
    I don't know much about the halls but I've been trying to research as much as possible.

When I've searched on student sites/googled reviews of Tufnell Park (UAL Halls closest to the fine art first year building) I can only find people trying to like sublet out their rooms in halls saying theyre leaving half way through the year :/ which seems like a bad sign :s like why do they want to leave... I've messaged a few of the people so maybe they'll get back to me.

Friends in London have told me they reckon the UAL halls in more obscure areas like Tufnell Park etc are mostly overseas students because most people need foundation/years out before they go to UAL esp CSM so they're more likely to get a flatshare.. I'm just worried i'll pay loads for UAL Halls and itll be in that boring area and noone will speak to me haha.. but I suppose its all luck of the draw..
    I've heard of a girl from England also going to Fine Art at CSM and shes thinking of going to Tufnell Park Halls.. so it could be cool who knows..

The Unite Halls are Halls for people from any uni. I have a friend staying in them this year and she loves them. Theres a few buildings between kings cross and Camden town which would be epic.. at least if i went there if I had no friends I'd be in a cooler area

decisions decisions decisions!
    Where are you from? London?
    See you probably have mates wanting to flatshare my friends in London already have accommodation sorted or are wanting to move to the opposite end of town from me.. so I'd have to flatshare with strangers off Gumtree or something which is a bit scary..

Lucie x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just found out unite halls are the csm halls and they look terrible. They have three grades of room and the top is about 15k a year :|, I'm think I'm going to try and flat share because it'll be cheaper and more comfortable, everyone I know in London has already sorted houses and accomodation, but I know a couple of people who have got into csm, so maybe I'll set something up with them, but they might not go. Do you think you will literally walk into a flat with total stranges? That's brave ! I might have to do the same thing to be fair, how would you go about sorting it? And I'm from Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alowro)
    Yeah I just found out unite halls are the csm halls and they look terrible. They have three grades of room and the top is about 15k a year :|, I'm think I'm going to try and flat share because it'll be cheaper and more comfortable, everyone I know in London has already sorted houses and accomodation, but I know a couple of people who have got into csm, so maybe I'll set something up with them, but they might not go. Do you think you will literally walk into a flat with total stranges? That's brave ! I might have to do the same thing to be fair, how would you go about sorting it? And I'm from Birmingham

Ha.. not complete strangers I would obviously meet them first but yeah probably just get them on a website like Gumtree or Spareroom, I was looking at it yesterday it seems quite good!
    Where do you know the other CSM people from? your foundation year?
    Yeah I know a guy with an offer also but think hes holding out for Goldsmiths.. cant blame him.

Yeah its so horrible to think if you went to halls it could be **** and youd be paying through the roof. Im more worried about being stuck in a **** area.. I would love to live in Camden or Kentish Town cause they're handy to the Uni buildings.. what about you?

ReputationRep:
    oh right so you'll speed date the candidates? I know the other guy from my foundation and my last school, but like your mate he's waiting on goldsmiths as well. That's the other side of London isn't it? Camden would be absolutely class to live in, but Am i right in thinking the closer you are to the centre the more expensive it is? Tbf the tubes make it easier to travel compared to other cities. Did you find out how much rent is for a flat when you were looking?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just wondering if if you managed to find anything good and if so where you were looking? I'm pretty much the same in wanting to find a flat share just cos it seems soo much cheaper and more convenient than any of the halls I looked at but everywhere I've seen is either really far out (I'm not at CSM but my uni's near kings cross as well) or the tenancy is only for the summer (not exactly helpful!) Camden would be amazing but so far I can hardly find anything :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry i forgot to look at this site!

I found lots of options on gumtree, roombuddies (another website) and spareroom (another site) they are great for finding a spare room in a house with people already in it. The prices were ranging from around 550-700 per month for rent then around 50-90 quid a month for bills. some places said bills were all included in their rent so that would be good

If youre looking for whole properties that are empty they are probably more expensive... but I had a quick look on a few property websites and saw some good options! (well in camden and kentish town)

I understand what you mean about all the flats out there being for summer residency at the minute.. the thing about finding a flat/room is that you cant really look more than 4weeks in advance, so realistically we're not going to find anything now for september. It seems scary to have to wait until end of July/August if you want to move in in September but rentals only go up usually 4weeks before they are available to move in... you'll notice on those websites i mentioned the properties are usually available now or in the next few weeks so they will be snapped up I'm sure.

and yeah Alowro the closer to the centre definitely more expensive... I wouldnt mind paying 600-700 because its still loads cheaper than Halls!

I was speaking to someone from CSM housing and they were almost recommending I don't go for halls as its so much more expensive and longer tenancy contract (12months)

Oh, theres also a UAL site for students callled 'commonplace' there were LOADS of listings for rooms to rent on it

Have you decided on CSM yet alowro?
    and hello saffialouise! if you cant find anything come live with meeee (not that i know where im going yet haha) x

ReputationRep:
    I'm also considering going to CSM (Fine Art) in september 2013! Just thought I would join this thread, let me know if you hear of any good flat shares . I am also very interested in living in the Camden area, it would be so much fun! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm in the exact same position! Can't wait for fine art at CSM, but accommodation is crazily expensive!! I had a look at tufnell park, and I was really impressed with it, but the costs are really expensive especially with the 51 week contract. How is everyone getting on with private accommodation finding? If anyone's found a nice affordable place for group sharing then I'd happily look into it! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm also hoping to study fine art at CSM and I don't really have a clue about accommodation. I was planning on living in halls for the first year, probably tufnell park, but if it's that expensive I might flatshare I'm going to London on saturday to have a look at tufnell (I'm from Manchester).

Maybe it would be good to get a Facebook group started for 2013 CSM fine art people?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm also doing fineart at CSM next year I am most likely going for one of the halls (hopefully mana ash or will wyatt) but thought I'd join this thread just to keep up to date with things, I am hoping to get somewhere in Camden the second year/or if I don't get into any of the halls I want, than this year!!

Sarah xo

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at some of the halls on saturday and Will Wyatt looked like the best to me in terms of price and distance from Archway.

Anyone else had any luck? It looks like you can submit your preferences at 10am on Wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew Saunders)
    I had a look at some of the halls on saturday and Will Wyatt looked like the best to me in terms of price and distance from Archway.

Anyone else had any luck? It looks like you can submit your preferences at 10am on Wednesday
    Hi im starting CSM in SEP - I also went to have a look around WILL. I thought the kitchens were rather small. What did you think? considering the amount of people in a cluster flat - and whats your opinion about the whole ' there are mice at will wyatt court review thing on the student room'. Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    THERE IS A GENERAL CSM 2013/2014 FACEBOOK GROUP https://www.facebook.com/groups/201216243347105/ if anyones interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello95)
    Hi im starting CSM in SEP - I also went to have a look around WILL. I thought the kitchens were rather small. What did you think? considering the amount of people in a cluster flat - and whats your opinion about the whole ' there are mice at will wyatt court review thing on the student room'. Thanks !
    I didn't have a chance to look inside anywhere I only saw the buildings and the areas because it was a rushed visit. The trouble with reviews is that it might only be people with something to complain about that post them, I'm a bit confused about it all.

Just joined the facebook group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew Saunders)
    I didn't have a chance to look inside anywhere I only saw the buildings and the areas because it was a rushed visit. The trouble with reviews is that it might only be people with something to complain about that post them, I'm a bit confused about it all.

Just joined the facebook group
    Ah well the inside I did not like and the area where will is did not appeal to me - but i hear it a nicer area than where Don gratton is. - see u in the fb group lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone...

I've also been accepted into CSM BA Fine Art degree commencing in September!

I have just had a quick read through this and have pretty much decided against halls. I think you have more flexibility with private accommodation and it seems more intimate. For example things seem more flexible and adaptable to change. It just seems more my thing! I also find that it may be better value for money.

By the way... Congratulations to everyone that got in and look forward to meeting you all in September! LucieJD... i think you was in my interview!? I may be totally wrong but if i'm correct we was sitting at the table together in the cafeteria? I was the one with the crazy pink glasses to remind you haha.

I'll be looking for a flat share... so if anyone is interested then message back on here and perhaps we can swap emails/numbers (whatever) and sort something out!

Anyway good luck to everyone trying to sort accommodation and look forward to hearing back xx

ReputationRep:
    I've decided I'm going to submit my hall choices tomorrow and see what they give me. Going for Will Wyatt, Tufnell, Woodlands, Manna Ash and Cordwainers (in that order). Not particularly happy about any of these and would really prefer to share a flat/apartment/house with other CSM people (was thinking I'd definitely do this in the second year if I can't sort this year). In terms of sharing private accommodation has anyone got any ideas/contacts/etc., as I don't know London at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing this course, living at Will Wyatt. How are people doing with finding private accom? I know a few people looking at the moment and it seems like it's a pain in the arse!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.