Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completed mu UG degree in economics last year with a 2:2, mostly because I didn't enjoy the course and spent most of my time doing extra-curricular activities. I was going to go straight into a masters last year, but had to defer my place due to a funding issue, and I don't really think that the course would have been what I wanted to do.

I've been working part time this year while looking for a full time job, but there really isn't anything I want to do with my degree, the only options seem to be sales or recruitment which I really don't want to do. I've got another Msc place on a computer science course for this year but im really not sure if I should do it. I was originally considering CS as my UG degree before deciding on economics. While looking for jobs I've noticed that there are loads of graduate software developer and IT roles available, and I think I would enjoy this work more.

My question is, is an Msc in computer science, on top of a 2:2 economics degree accepted for those jobs or is it generally necessary to have an UG degree in computer science too? I assume I will still be unable to apply for the standard grad schemes due to the 2:2, but would an Msc open up other possible jobs? Does an Msc in computer science actually provide enough depth to be able to work in the computing industry, and hold up against 3 year undergraduate courses?

Im really not sure if its worth doing it at the moment, it would mostly be as a backup, as Im currently applying for a job that I really want to do, but its a long process, and highly competitive, so Im currently thinking of doing the Msc if this fails. It seems like it would open up other options in case of failure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.