Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it possible to be asexual? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    As you suffer with anxiety, so it might cause you to stay permanently reserved and become reclusive, why don't you go and try talking to some guy or girl that you like? If you have never tried sex or talked to someone you like you'll never know if you're asexual, it might be that you actually do like it, have you ever masturbated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't like anyone as present. No to your second question.

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it, sorry that my answers are closed/one-word answers. I think it will become clearer as time goes on.

My anxiety can prevent well-meaning friendships too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Possible. Increasingly difficult in such a sexualised society.
    How so? What about how an individual feels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    I was serious, I have low self confidence. It would be nice to find yourself hot sometimes.

I'm being serious.

That's pretty cool anyway.
    I know what it's like to have low self-confidence, but it gets easier. If you want advice I don't mind helping you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    lol.
    shut the door + private browsing.
    I'd feel bad.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I could have written what most of Iron Lady has said.

I've never really had that much interest in relationships. The last time was 18 months ago and we agreed it wouldn't work / it wasn't what either of us wanted. (it would have been an LDR, which he's done before and said it was difficult. I wasn't too keen either)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    I'd feel bad.
    why?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Between 18-25.

No.

No.

I suffer from anxiety, occasionally have anxiety attacks, along with other personality disorders. But, I do not take medication/antidepressants. I feel down from time-to-time, but I wouldn't identify myself with depression.
    I'm similar to this but haven't got any diagnosed things, partially because I've never asked.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in fact I read once about someone who set up a website to asexuals could meet other asexuals and have a relationship without the sex.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently like 1-3% of the population is indeed asexual. That's around 7k+. But it's not 'common'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like anyone as present. No to your second question.

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it, sorry that my answers are closed/one-word answers. I think it will become clearer as time goes on.

My anxiety can prevent well-meaning friendships too.
    Why don't you try masturbating? As for anxiety you could always try a councillor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your thoughts please, thank you.

Does anyone else identify themselves as asexual?
    Of course it's possible. I think I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crabbiey)
    I'm asexual and I can understand what you're saying, however in my opinion I don't think I'm missing out simply because I'm not interested. I'm also probably aromantic - meaning I have no interest in a romantic relationship, so I think a romantically-orientated asexual will 'miss out' on a lot less. I actually have no idea what it's like to even have a romantic bond. Which may sound sad, but I'm not bothered because I have no interest. So in my opinion I am not 'missing out', I am slightly curious as to what it is like to be in love, but I don't get depressed over it. Anyway it also means I don't feel like a failure at still being single.
    You just described me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    Sexual attration and sexual intimacy are very important in life, in my opinion. To think that people may have a disposition which means they will never experience such emotions is sad.

It also makes very good fun. Initial flirting around with a new crush where there is a common sexual attraction, for example.
    I think that sexual intimacy probably gives a new dimention to the relationship that asexual people would not understand. I guess it's probably a trust in that other person.

I'm not trying to rub it in, OP. I am just trying to explain why I think the thought of asexual people is sad. I think they would miss out on a lot in life.
    Wow this is silly.

First of all asexual is not necessarily aromantic, so some asexual people still have the falling in love feeling.

It's simply about perception. You can't imagine a life without sex the same way a guy at my uni can't imagine not going to watch a certain football team. He goes to every single game they have sometimes missing a few days of uni to travel. Once someone said to him, "you could just not go" and he looked at them like they'd asked him to strip for the queen. Just because you can't imagine your life without something doesn't make it essential to everybody. They don't have it because they don't want it, being sad for them is nothing more than condescending.

I have an asexual friend who is extremely pretty. She's definitely more cute than sexy but still she's really nice to look at. She's never had sex and never wants to. She's kissed a guy and describes it as "the most uncomfortable 30 seconds of her life". Her life is in no way "empty". She has something she does very well (intentionally vague to protect identity) and she is very passionate about it. She'll talk about it for hours if you let her. She's also really into Buddhism and spirituality etc. She's one of the happiest people I know and she won't spend her life alone contrary to what most people think.

OP I know asexuality exists and there is no reason for it. Saying it was caused by something like sexual abuse is like saying homosexuality is caused by that. Telling an asexual to just "try sex" is like telling a gay man to try a woman before he commits. If sex feels right at some point in your life then don't fight that either. There are a lot of great online communities for asexual people so you could try them.

Not that anyone will believe it after this essay but I am straight, not asexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    Apparently like 1-3% of the population is indeed asexual. That's around 7k+. But it's not 'common'.
    I think you mean 700k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    why?

(Original post by jreid1994)
    Why don't you try masturbating? As for anxiety you could always try a councillor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm ok with other forms of spending my time.

I've tried counselling.

ReputationRep:

I've tried counselling.
    Fair enough, you probably are asexual

Did it help?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know if you haven't tried it?

ReputationRep:
    well plants are.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider my self semi asexual at the moment, I do feel attraction toward the opposite sex, however I am in no way interested in a sexual relationship. And it is possible, I personally see nothing wrong with being completely asexual.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.