Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am re-applying for student finance for my second year of Uni. Last year I was assessed as an independent student as I am over 25 and have been self-supporting for many years.
    This time around, I am living with my boyfriend. I wish to be assessed for the Maintenance Grant so need to declare household income of which on my own, I would not have any (relying on student finance totally). Do I need to declare my boyfriends wage to be assessed?

How is household defined? I can only find it mentioning spouses and partners and "partner" is normally a definition indicating you are married/civil partnership or similar so I would normally tick single. If independent (over 25/self supporting) students were in a house-share would this mean they would have to declare their housemates income as part of the household?

I don't remember finding it this difficult last year!
    Many thanks for any help anyone can offer

ReputationRep:
    Does your boyfriend support you? If so yes. If you are not financially dependent on him DONT or you will receive much less grant.

You do not put house mates as part of you income, your completely independent of each other in student finances eye.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you include him as he's your partner.

ReputationRep:
    1. Does he live in the same house as you? (If Yes go to part 3, if No go to part 2)
    2. No
    3. Yes

ReputationRep:
    If you are living with him, I would have thought his income will been taken into account. May be worth giving them a ring.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming he helps out paying for things like food, bills and going out. In which case, yes, you do need to include his income.
    House mates don't include each other because they're all buying their own food, paying their own bills etc..
    At least that's how I suspect it works :')

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everybody, sounds like a basic/obvious question but I am used to entering "single" on most forms and applications as people are normally seen as being "married" or "single." I was wondering what the definition of partner was to Student Finance and who will be included under the term "household."
    It also makes a negative difference of about £1k a year to include him in the assessment (maybe I will kick him out......just kidding.)

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of financial information for "mature" students as so much of it is geared towards students reliant on their parents income.

Many thanks to you all! Enjoy the Easter break (if you aren't bogged down with uni work! like me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalimbo)
    Thanks for the replies everybody, sounds like a basic/obvious question but I am used to entering "single" on most forms and applications as people are normally seen as being "married" or "single." I was wondering what the definition of partner was to Student Finance and who will be included under the term "household."
    It also makes a negative difference of about £1k a year to include him in the assessment (maybe I will kick him out......just kidding.)

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of financial information for "mature" students as so much of it is geared towards students reliant on their parents income.

Many thanks to you all! Enjoy the Easter break (if you aren't bogged down with uni work! like me)
    Spouse is if you're married. 'Partner' refers to someone whom you aren't married to, but you live life as if you're married - IE living together.

A similar scenario would be if you're under 25 and being assessed on your parents income. You would include your mothers income, as well as her boyfriend who lives in the house with you (whether he supports you or not).

If you're living with flat mates or friends, you don't include them, as they are not your spouse or partner.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.