New Maths Modules Watch

This discussion is closed.
pruts
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hello, With the new A-level maths modules being used next year, will I be able to re-sit the old modules, eg P2-P3 anymore next year. Or would I have to do the whole course again.

regards
toxi
Report 15 years ago
yeah i'd like to know that too.....
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pruts)
Hello, With the new A-level maths modules being used next year, will I be able to re-sit the old modules, eg P2-P3 anymore next year. Or would I have to do the whole course again.

regards
From what i understand....you can resit any of the modules as many times as you like....but you can only choose the mark from one of the last two times you sat that paper. This is on edexcel...might be different for other exam boards..not sure.

G
r316
Report 15 years ago
I'm doing maths a bit early, taking S1 this summer and C1, C2 (equal to PX) in January when it changes.

You'll be able to resit S1, M1 etc. next year, but I'm not sure you can resit P1 etc. You may have to take C1 C2 etc; and the problem there is that I doubt you can mix P's and C's.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pruts)

regards
I was reading the some pdf document on the Edexcel web site, and apparently the last time that you can resit the old modules is Nov 2004. I think that's what it said.
pruts
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
I was reading the some pdf document on the Edexcel web site, and apparently the last time that you can resit the old modules is Nov 2004. I think that's what it said.

i looked at the web site and nothing has hardly changed from what I can see, or has it. Ie the content, From P1-P3 to C1-C4.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Annoying... Why have C1,2,3,4 when P1,2,3 are fine - and fit in with the other modules?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Annoying... Why have C1,2,3,4 when P1,2,3 are fine - and fit in with the other modules?
The maths syllabuses have been revised to make maths more accessible due to the declining popularity in the subject.

Maths is traditionally seen as a hard subject which is done by the stronger academics, but the problem is that too few people do it nowadays. To make more people take up the subject, it has been decided to rehaul and water down the syllabus.

The whole maths fiasco is a terrible shame.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The last proper A level is being thinned out and made easier
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
The last proper A level is being thinned out and made easier
And further becomes the gulf between A-Level and university maths. No bloddy wonder we don't get any maths undergraduates, the jump is too daunting.
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Where can I find out information on this change to the maths sylabus. Is it changing for all boards. Im currently studying maths with Edexcel. what changes are being made?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Revelation)
Where can I find out information on this change to the maths sylabus. Is it changing for all boards. Im currently studying maths with Edexcel. what changes are being made?
I think all exam boards are doing it. They're watering down each module, pushing back some stuff to later modules to make it all easier. For example, expectations in S1 is now to be found in S2. P1 becomes C1 blah blah.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Also, watering down the alevel syllabus screws you when you come to STEP, because they don't water down that syllabus to the same level. I guess that's why we find proof by induction, de moivres etc on STEP II, when I think really these are surely further maths these days. So if alot of those higher P3 topics slip off the alevel, they are screwed.
Revelation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I guess that's why we find proof by induction, de moivres etc on STEP II, when I think really these are surely further maths these days. So if alot of those higher P3 topics slip off the alevel, they are screwed.
yes I understand
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Revelation)
yes I understand
zuh?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads