Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just looking for some outside information here to complement my decision. So I'm an international student applying for medicine in the UK and through some grace of god, I've managed to secure offers from Kings College, Glasgow and Durham. Now the tough part is choosing one.

I mean I've been to all the universities and all the places as well, looked through their courses, looked at ratings, finances etc. But I still can't come to a decision. It would be great if other people could provide a personal insight on the university or city and it doesn't have to be medicine related. I've always found personal insight counts for a lot.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

View on Glasgow... I'm from Glasgow originally but don't live in the city now as I'm an oldie and have a young son so prefer a quieter life. Certainly, Glasgow has all you need for a vibrant nightlife, entertainment, pubs, clubs, eateries, free museums/art galleries. Good transport links etc. Very friendly city and the West End is lovely. The uni offers plenty of clubs and societies should you wish to join some.

MedChir run plenty of events for med students and there are lots of societies if you want to find out more about different specialties.

The course... I love it and PBL does suit me (oldie) as was used to independent study having done a research masters. Most of the school leavers in my cohort love it and are happy that they chose Glasgow and have heard them saying thank goodness not sitting in lectures all day. There are 2 sessions per week supplemented by lectures and some labs. Anatomy starts off in semester 1, 1st year being prosection then dissection after Xmas. Year 2 it is all dissection. We get clinical skills sessions from year 1 and you have VS where you get attached to a GP surgery and have visits there. You also have hospital visits which can be in the city or further out e.g. Ayr. Visits are my fav thing.

The course is more integrated now than a few years ago due to feedback from students. The med school does listen to the moans and are good at changing things that students are not happy with. It can seem to be a bit disorganised at times but overall, it is fine.

ReputationRep:
    View on King's...

Well it's in London, so you won't be stuck on things to do. It's right next to London Bridge station so it has excellent links to the rest of the city. As for the uni itself, a lot of the societies are based in Strand rather than Guy's campus, so you'll have to go there for every meeting which is a bit annoying. I'm not sure about Durham or Glasgow, but your year group at kings will be massive, there will be around 400 people in your year and most of them will just be like strangers to you, you can pretty much sneak a random person into the lecture theatre without anyone noticing. The course is pretty good, anatomy teaching is excellent and not many other unis can compare in that respect, and just like any other uni the lecturers are very good but when it comes to assessments and feedback GKT is pretty bad. Teaching is mainly through lectures which will not suit many people, but then there are also tutorials and workshops too. Phase 1 isn't very well organised but Phase 2 splits the content up into scenarios which I think works better. As for GP/hospital visits, you will have a quite a few in first year but the hospital visits are very poorly organised and in second year you'll hardly have any. The GP visits are useful, but then you'll have to go to a 2 hour seminar after each one which is pretty pointless.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.