Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I'm nearing the end of my two years with braces and will need to have retainers to wear every night.

So I have a couple of questions:
    How do they take the braces off, and is it painful or just a bit uncomfortable?
    Retainers, how are they fitted? Are they uncomfortable? Did you actually wear them?

Any braces/retainer anecdotes welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i wore braces for two years...sorry for not being accurate as it's been two years since i had mine taken off but i don't remember it being extremely painful...i would've remembered that. For retainers they asked me to bite down on some pink gum mould, and they used that shape to make transparent retainers. I had to wear them for a week during day and night, but now two years on i just wear them at night, with a couple of days off a week.
    I'll tell you this, once you have the braces off, you won't stop licking your teeth. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Hey i wore braces for two years...sorry for not being accurate as it's been two years since i had mine taken off but i don't remember it being extremely painful...i would've remembered that. For retainers they asked me to bite down on some pink gum mould, and they used that shape to make transparent retainers. I had to wear them for a week during day and night, but now two years on i just wear them at night, with a couple of days off a week.
    I'll tell you this, once you have the braces off, you won't stop licking your teeth. :cool:
    Ha, I hear that a lot! My friend spent a week licking her teeth and shouting 'God its so smooth!'

Were the retainers uncomfortable and hard to sleep with. My sister compared hers to those fake vampire teeth you wore on Halloween when you were about 8 haha!

ReputationRep:
    It was slightly uncomfortable having them taken off, but the relief very quickly countered that..
    But yeah wearing retainers would be a sensible option, but I never bothered and my teeth are still fine after 3-4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha lol! no they aren't unconfortable but yeah they'll feel weird for the first time as all new things do. But no i have no trouble wearing them and sleep just fine

ReputationRep:
    DON'T play with your retainers!

I always used to do that and ended up breaking the metal wiring. You'll have to wear them for even longer

ReputationRep:
    I had braces with retainers (the chunky plastic ones with metal bits that clip over your teeth) for two years, and when the whole thing was over I was given other retainers (the ones that look like teeth whitening retainers, there's no metal and they're made of very thin plastic.) It's been three years since I had my braces out and I still wear them 4/5 nights a week because my teeth get noticeably less straight after a while of not wearing them and after a week or so, putting the retainers in really hurts.

Getting the braces off doesn't hurt but like others have said, you'll be running your tongue over your teeth for a few days looking like a creep and exclaiming at random intervals "they feel so smooth!"

ReputationRep:
    It didn't hurt a bit when I took mine off so I wouldn't worry about that. I did wear my retainers every night for about a year but after that I didn't really brother. My teeth then began to move and get crocked again so almost three years after I hade my braces taken off, I had new ones put in again! I get to take them off in July though so it's not too bad, only 5 months.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.