Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best A Levels for an Economics Degree?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone could anybody help with some advice on my AS level choices. I want to take an Economics degree at a high level university (as I'm told I am that calibre of a student) but I am not sure which A Levels to choose. I am only taking 4 AS then 3 A Levels since (after lots of looking on forums online) it seems there is little point to taking more as the universities don't ask for them and is extra pressure. I have limited my options to Economics, Maths, Psychology, ICT and further maths. Out of them which four would be best for AS then which 3 for A Levels would give me the best chance of getting into a good university for an Economics Degree? I enjoy all 5 and do well at them so I am open to opinions. Im fairly confident in taking Economics and Maths to A Level but unsure which other 2 should I take to AS and which of those to be my 3rd A Level. Could anybody give some advice please, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you take economics and maths I'm not sure the other two matter significantly though it might depend on the uni you want to apply to. Psychology is always good, as is Further Maths, not sure about ICT but I doubt it would hinder you at all. Just take what interests you, but definitely economics and maths, further maths could be useful as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say maths, further maths and economics for A2. The fourth AS is completely your preference.

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, economics, history, f.maths, geography are all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    Maths, economics, history, f.maths, geography are all good.
    My history has an lot economic topics like the Emergency Measures under the liberal party member Snowden, the Ch. of Exchanger, and the Gold Standard crisis of 1926.

ReputationRep:
    really hard to get into LSE Economics without Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Furthur Maths, Economics, and 1 more science or writing subject.

ReputationRep:
    If you take ICT you won't get into a top University. It is a Tier 3 subject and so only acceptable as a Fourth Subject. If you were to drop it that would be fine. But whilst you say that it is pointless to do more than 3 A2s, it is not. Top Universities say only 3 because some people who are clever go to schools where they only can do 3. But if you went to a school where everyone did 5 and you did 3 then it reflects poorly on you.

P.S. Trust me, my dad does like Offers and Applications to LSE

ReputationRep:
    Economics and Maths and a writing subject such as english language or history. As economics involves a lot of essay writing.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.