Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's going on? (Police!!?) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Sounds slightly dodgy, go to the local police station and ask to speak to them there, instead of at your house.

ReputationRep:
    It was at the beginning of feb so I think I might just ignore it, I've not heard anything since. On the phone I was freaking out and really worried and I don't think she thinks whatever it is is anything to do with me anyway because she was like 'it might not be anything to do with you' which I doubt most police say to suspects?! Ether way I've got nothing to hide so if she comes back and I'm in this time then I will see what she has to say as long as she has ID!! I think if I was a suspect or anything shed have been back by now though lol

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd notify the police, and see what they say. I imagine if they desperately wanted to speak to you they'd have already sent a community support officer or suchlike around to your house.

That being said, it does sound odd, but if the police don't know anything about it then I wouldn't worry if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about telling the Pcso that came around our house the other day for another reason, but just as I was about to tell him he started talking to the dog and then he left before I got the chance. If its an ongoing investigation I doubt he could have said anything anyway. My mum is off for the next 2 weeks so if they do come back at least she will be here with me.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you phone your local police station and see what they say? I'm sure they'd be very interested to know if someone is pretending to be them and trying to gain access to your house under the guise of a criminal investigation, and logic would tell me that if it was a legitimate letter the CSO would have brought it up when he was at your house.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds a bit suspect, to be honest. I would be extremely cautious, if I were you. I would suggest taking the note to a local police station and explaining the situation. If they say that yes, they do put notes like that through peoples' door (seems unlikely), then fine, but otherwise they should help you if it is suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    Te note did have the police logo on it but I would have thought if it was a real police woman shed have had her own card or something. Just seems kinda weird haha, but I'm sure if it was serious they wouldn't have out a note through the door, they'd have kicked the door in right?! I mean if a suspect of a serious crime lived somewhere the police surely wouldn't warn them by putting a note through to ring them.. Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy17x)
    Te note did have the police logo on it but I would have thought if it was a real police woman shed have had her own card or something. Just seems kinda weird haha, but I'm sure if it was serious they wouldn't have out a note through the door, they'd have kicked the door in right?! I mean if a suspect of a serious crime lived somewhere the police surely wouldn't warn them by putting a note through to ring them.. Haha
    Well, to be honest, I could go on the internet and print a note with a police logo on...

And this has never been a case of a serious crime.

If I were you, I would be extremely cautious. You have no idea what they want, it could be to sniff the joint out for a later burglary, or anything else under the sun really.

I would take the note to the police station and see what they say.

You never know, they might ask you to get involved in some heroics: pretend to play along, undercover police officer positioned outside the door, sweet arrest scene: all in all, a true moment from the perfect action movie!

You can live and hope

But in all seriousness, I would take this note with a lot of caution.

ReputationRep:
    But what if it is real police haha, I'm still a bit concerned about that even though I know I've not done anything wrong!

ReputationRep:
    But what if it is real police haha, I'm still a bit concerned about that even though I know I've not done anything wrong!
    If it is the real police, they will confirm it, and look favourable upon you for investigating and coming to them, rather than trying to hide or cover it up.

And since it sounds like you really have done nothing wrong, it will just be a misunderstanding you can easily smooth over. The police will help you.

And if it is something fishy, they will help you then too.

I personally think going to the police safeguards yourself, your family, and your property, and removes all of this anxiety and worry you are currently going through all in one quick trip to the station.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the police station, if it is a real police officer then she'll understand why you did.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it's your ISP who sends a letter in regards to illegal downloading, or I hear.

ReputationRep:
    Stop making up excuses of not going to the police and just go!

Whoever these people are, they KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE! If they are dodgy, THEY'LL GET YOU! If you find out they're the actual police then you may sleep in peace.

ReputationRep:
    So last month I got a little note through the door from a supposed detective constable. I googled the number that was on it and there wasn't any results for it. There was a name so I googled it, and its a real name of a real DC. But, I know for a fact that neither me or my mum have done anything wrong at all.

So after thinking about it I decided to ring the number. The woman sounded really friendly, she said it wasn't anything to worry about, and that it wasn't my name that she had. She asked for my mums name, but it wasn't my mums name that she had either, which was kind of strange because no one else has lived here.

She said she wanted to come and talk to me. I've got anxiety, so I was freaking out thinking I was going to be in trouble for something I haven't even done. She said it was something that happened in 2009/2010 but that it might not have anything to do with me or my mum and that the neighbors hadnt reported us or anything. She said she needed to know if the person involved was under or over 18.

She said she had something to show me (some print outs). So, I think maybe its Internet related. I did used to download music and films and stuff, but I've never downloaded anything at all that's illegal. Neither hasmy mum because she doesnt use the internet. My wireless wasn't secure back then, so maybe someone was using it and they traced it back to my house?

Anyway I haven't heard anything else since. But basically what I'm asking is does this sound like its legit? It just seems dodgy to me, because I know that I've not done anything wrong and my mum definitely hasn't because she's always at work, in bed or watching tv, haha.

If this is something to do with the Internet (which is the only thing I think it could be about because print outs were mentioned) then surely they would have the Internet account holders name (eg my mums name) and not just a random first name?! I'm not worried or anything, just curious and wondering whether or not I could be a suspect or something even though I've not done anything wrong! Oh, and I'm a girl and pretty normal with a boyfriend not a creepy guy or anything.
    Sounds iffy. Never heard of the police sending a letter in these kind of circumstances. And also not specifying what it's about. Just phone the real police or go to your local station and enquire. No harm done. There have been people known to fake being a police officer then swindle money out of people. Usually old people though. Still, check it out. Better to be over cautious than under cautious and regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    Stop making up excuses of not going to the police and just go!

Whoever these people are, they KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE! If they are dodgy, THEY'LL GET YOU! If you find out they're the actual police then you may sleep in peace.
    Lmfaooooooooooo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about telling the Pcso that came around our house the other day for another reason, but just as I was about to tell him he started talking to the dog and then he left before I got the chance. If its an ongoing investigation I doubt he could have said anything anyway. My mum is off for the next 2 weeks so if they do come back at least she will be here with me.

What is this I don't even...

Erm anyway!

Either way, go to local police station as:

1- You can confirm if it was them and if it was real; they'd sort if from there. You haven't done anything wrong so shouldn't worry, end of case

2- It wasn't them and was someone else.

So, 1 is the positive outcome and 2 is the negative outcome. This is because it means ''someone else'' knows where you live so yeah, that's what makes it dodgy..

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand that the police had my adress but not my name. I am going toask my mum to take me one day next week but I don't get why they want to talk to me if its not my name they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    Usually it's your ISP who sends a letter in regards to illegal downloading, or I hear.
    I thought that too. I don't think it's illegal downloading though else the police would have my name from my isp or at least my last name. I don't get why they'd contact me nearly 3/4 years later if it was about that, seeing as limewire is closed down now haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)
    What is this I don't even...

Erm anyway!

Either way, go to local police station as:

1- You can confirm if it was them and if it was real; they'd sort if from there. You haven't done anything wrong so shouldn't worry, end of case

2- It wasn't them and was someone else.

So, 1 is the positive outcome and 2 is the negative outcome. This is because it means ''someone else'' knows where you live so yeah, that's what makes it dodgy..
    In a way I'm kind of worried if it actually was the police because they will think I've got something to hide and treat me like a criminal :/

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.