The Student Room Group

Nursing books : The good , The bad ones to buy and ones to borrow

Hi everyone,

I know this gets asked a lot so thought i would make a thread about nursing books. Whether your just starting out or even if you are a qualified nurse I thought it would be a nice idea to help make sure people are buying the right books for them. So feel free to include any books that are good , and any which are bad as well as any books that you think are good to buy and maybe ones that are good but are available in your libarys etc. Feel free to add pictures of your own collections and if its relevant to a certain branch of nursing but is not clear just mention it . Hope to hear and see all your ideas and hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I would strongly recommend that a qualified or student nurse should read the The 'Clinical pocket reference guide for nurses' by Paul Ong, Bernie Garrett and Debby Allen,as this has everything from the normal BPs of adult-children to how to cannulate effectively and how to use and apply the correct drug formulas and calculations and everything else!! Also it is good to read 'A Nurse's survival guide to the ward' by Ann Richards and Sharon Edwards. Hope this helps someone 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suppose it depends on your branch

I'm in mental health an I'd recommend a good book on drug calculations and if you struggle with the topic, a good anatomy and physiology book. Anything else should be available in your Uni library and then if you really like it and feel you need it, but it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
KOZIER, B., ERB, G. BERMAN, A. SNYDER, S., LAKE, R. and HARVEY, S. (2008). Fundamentals of Nursing: Concepts, process and practice. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for the replies so far :smile:

This is for all branches but any book relevant to a certain degree just mention it at the side :smile: I thought this up so people don't spend lots of money on books when we don't get a large amount of money anyway, but if some people have books that they have used alot over 3 years they may choose to invest in it.
Reply 5
BARKER P. (ed.) Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing: The craft of caring. London: Arnold.
Reply 6
Books books books. In my three years as a student I think I brought the Marsden manual and a dictionary. Best advice with books is to wait until you start your course, different places like different books. It's worthwhile checking out how well stocked your library is too as mine was well stocked. I managed to get my hands on all the books I needed. If you're an RCN member you can borrow from their library too, they post the books to you and just pay for the postage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What a good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
A couple i have got from my access course but would be also good for degree

Anatomy and Physiology Books:

Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness
Principles of Anatomy and Physiology tortora - I love this book it comes in 2 volumes and is pricey but would highly recommend it :smile:

Nursing maths

How to Master Nursing Calculations: Pass Numeracy Tests and Make Sense of Drug Dosage Charts
Numeracy in Nursing & Healthcare

Child nursing

A Textbook of Children's and Young People's Nursing
The Great Ormond Street Hospital Manual of Children's Nursing Practices

General nursing book
The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures
The student handbook - Bethann Siviter
The Student Nurse Handbook - Liz ashton
A Dictionary of Nursing

I also really like the incredibly easy series and have the child nursing one they also have an incredibly visual series as well and their is a wide range of books. I have bought most of these of ebay/classifieds/charity shops so it pays to look about. If you visit unis i would recommend looking around their library to get a good idea of books etc and also ask about any books they would recommend or any sales they have. I also have old editions of some books but they cover everything well so don't buy the most up to date book as previous editions may hold everything and be a lot cheaper.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending