Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My 28 year old boyfriend is broody... Watch

And distancing himself from me as he thinks I'm too young to have a child with (I'm 25). We haven't been together long enough to decide if this is for the long-term, and he works really long hours. If we were to conceive, I would be alone with the child 99% of the time.

Just wondered if anyone else has had their boyfriend go through a broody phase, and if its just a phase or becomes a permanent thing?
    • Welcome Squad

]What do you want OP? I find it hard to tell whether you want children through your post...

Firstly, I'd say don't jump into things, I mean you mention you've not been together for that long, your relationship could change, and may not work out...

Secondly, do you actually want children now/soon? do you want to bring a child into the world, or are you willing to do it, to prove you're not too young or just to please your partner. ? You should perhaps consider that...

And finally, do you want to do things with your life before having children and settling down?
    Whilst people on tsr may be able to relate, we won't be able to tell you if your boyfriend is going through a phase. Perhaps just tell him how you genuinely feel and
    take it from there.
    Anyway, good luck.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    And distancing himself from me as he thinks I'm too young to have a child with (I'm 25). We haven't been together long enough to decide if this is for the long-term, and he works really long hours. If we were to conceive, I would be alone with the child 99% of the time.

Just wondered if anyone else has had their boyfriend go through a broody phase, and if its just a phase or becomes a permanent thing?
    It might be just a phase he is going through, I suspect a lot of guys do go through that phase, I had that phase few years back but then I realised I had so much I wanted to do first before even thinking of all that. My suggestion is that if you haven't been together long then I guess it would be to soon to think about bringing in a child into the relationship and judging by the sound of it you are not ready for all that yet, so I would tell him that you don't want a child yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Is this his opinion, or is it that you feel too young to be having children at 25? If he's serious about having kids and having them soon then why is he with someone who won't for whatever reason have them soon?

ReputationRep:
    Well, why don't you just tell him you want to see how the relationship goes first before thinking about having a baby?

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the individual but the older we get the less likely it is to be just a phase. I'm starting to feel like I should have a family of my own by now..

You didn't say how long you've been together btw(?)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.