Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please be honest with me, How close was I to death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was driving merrily along the other day when my car began pulling to the left,more so when I was braking, I took it around to an old mechanic friend who came for a drive with me, he got scared and cut the journey short , at this point he wasn't sure what the cause was.
    When we got back he popped open the bonnet and asked me to sit inside the car and turn the wheel from left to right, As I did he instructed me to stop and asked me to look under the car and to which I found my car wishbone had snapped, very almost completely.

He said after all 45 years of working on cars he has never known a car wishbone to snap, after replacing it for a new one the next day he handed me the old one back, but before he did he snapped it in half in front of me to show me how weak it was, I was that shocked I just began crying

I had been driving along with a cracked wishbone that was so close to snapping , The thought of me going over only a big bump or so when driving along, even on the Mote (orway) if it had snapped would've been bad

ReputationRep:
    Quite close I imagine, but what's the point of mulling over it? Just thank God you're alive and have fun with life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Quite close I imagine, but what's the point of mulling over it? Just thank God you're alive and have fun with life

My old mechanic friend said to me '' God must've been looking down on you because that could have snapped at any moment and you'd have been dead''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm handsome)
    My old mechanic friend said to me '' God must've been looking down on you because that could have snapped at any moment and you'd have been dead''
    Perhaps He was looking down on you. You're destined for great things Sir. Now go forth young padawan..

And may the mass x acceleration be with you

ReputationRep:
    Just be glad it was found before it did snap and buy your friend a pint haha.

ReputationRep:
    Was expecting a really exciting tale, have to say I was disappointed old chap

ReputationRep:
    Mate of mine had one fail @ 70mph.
    Car did a 180 and came to a stop.

RAC took it to a garage and it was back on the road the next day.

All depends what the car does when it fails. I suppose if it caught a pothole it could have flipped over. But if you were wearing your seatbelt you'd have been alright.
    So how close to death were you? Probably not very.

ReputationRep:
    You're alive for a reason, sounds like you had a nasty scare but stop worrying about it, go forth and make the most of life

ReputationRep:
    Snapped on my dad once. Really **** him up, and he's a tough guy. Luckily there were no cars around and he was only on a residential street so wasn't going fast. Always makes you wonder what if...

ReputationRep:
    Short of the car veering into an oncoming car/lorry, you wouldn't been ok. You can survive a considerable amount inside a car, what usually ends up killing is a sudden stop or the aforementioned oncoming vehicle. But really, you were no closer to death than some of the idiots I see on the road in fully functioning cars who decide to make amazingly idiotic decisions while driving.

ReputationRep:
    What actually happens if it snaps though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.