Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone said this to me recently. Needless to say, as an aspiring law student, I was a bit disheartened at the remark. Is it really just about money and politics out in the 'real world'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alleykat606)
    Someone said this to me recently. Needless to say, as an aspiring law student, I was a bit disheartened at the remark. Is it really just about money and politics out in the 'real world'?
    What did you think it was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alleykat606)
    Ridiculous.

Once you have the skills, it's what you make it.

Protect the environment, work with working class clients, there are hundreds of selfless career paths you can follow.

Some doctors save lives, others do tit jobs. It's your choices that will determine your future.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Morons will be morons, OP. It's up to you if you want to dedicate your career at a top commercial law firm fighting for the rights of tobacco companies against overtly restrictive EU regulations...or join the government and prevent 'slander' of its officials...or join the ILO and help draft seafaring treaties...or join the African Prisons Project and dedicate yourself to opposing the death penalty and human rights abuses in various countries in Africa.

The world is your oyster.

(Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    Some doctors save lives, others do tit jobs. It's your choices that will determine your future.
    ^ This. Could not have said it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous.

Once you have the skills, it's what you make it.

Protect the environment, work with working class clients, there are hundreds of selfless career paths you can follow.

I can tell this guy knows what he's ****ing talking about. Thanks and good on you

ReputationRep:
    There will always be people who get their kicks from putting others down - be it directly or indirectly. Ignore them - as others have said a law career, just like life, is what you make it.

A cynic may say that life is all about money and politics, and for some people maybe it is - but most of us know better

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really a significant connection between politics and law in this country.

I guess most non-criminal law is about money. But we live in a capitalist society, money is how we allocate resources, so this applies to any job you can think of.

ReputationRep:
    "Life is all about money and politics"

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous

Ha, well said!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.